Permission to be cynical, please?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Permission to be cynical, please?

Post by unklmic » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:59 pm

I think the writing is on the wall, and once a year, along with our regular upgrade, we will be offered a new instrument in the region of $200.

My first impression of the Operator when they announced it was that it was way too expensive, and that I would probably not fork out for it. Besides, I already have a FM synth. But I really love live, and am probably one of their best salesman, and I felt that my copy was now somehow inferior. It was like being downgraded from Logic Pro to Logic Express.

Anyway, I caved in and bought it eventually – and in most ways I do not regret it. I really do not have a problem with the idea of paying for it, but $200?!

Well, now we have the Sampler, and my initial impression is that it is way too expensive, and I probably will not fork out for it. But I really like Live, and could I possible settle for anything less than ALL of Live?

So, I have once again been downgraded to Live Express, and I know that I will eventually cave in and buy Sampler so that I am back to Live Pro.

Well Live 7 has just been announced, and on top of the upgrade, Ableton have created a wicked Slicer – what we have been asking and waiting for FOREVER. It costs $200. My first impressions is that it is WAY to expensive, but I have been downgraded again.

Fast forward 10 years – Live now has A FM Synth, a Sampler, a Slicer, a convolution reverb, pitch correction, a Quietenator, a Drum Synth, a DodgySoundReplacor, and a Virtual Accordionist.

Sure you don’t have to buy them all, you probably don’t need them all, but it is just human nature to want the complete package, and how must would it have cost by now? Bit by bit, year by year you are fleeced. Very devious, and not very nice. Ableton are beginning to loose their warm and fuzzy feeling in my eyes. I hope they prove me wrong.

Rant over

xuoham

Re: Permission to be cynical, please?

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:10 pm

unklmic wrote:
...and a Virtual Accordionist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:14 pm

unklmic wrote: ...and a Virtual Accordionist.
For $200? Man, that's a steal!

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Dude - you need to PASS ME YOUR CRYSTAL BALL!!! Your predictions are so precise you have got me worried. We should resurect this thread in a years time, as a kind of "Welcome to the world!" type greeting for Slicer.

And I agree about the "Ableton are beginning to loose their warm and fuzzy feeling" thing.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

they're a company trying to make a buck... not a an old granny who gives you sweets every weekend (or once a year)

David

Post by David » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

unklmic wrote:Bit by bit, year by year you are fleeced. Very devious, and not very nice. Ableton are beginning to loose their warm and fuzzy feeling in my eyes. I hope they prove me wrong.

Rant over
dude, i know your not being totally harsh but, ableton have got mouths to feed just like the rest of us, even if it is just their own mouths...

just a thought

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Permission denied?

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:26 pm

I can still see it now. One of the tag lines from Live Version 1. (Remember that???)

Made by Musicians, for Musicians

Pfft! Now it should read:

Made by Rich Folk for Rich Folk

We made 'em rich now they're gonna start fuckin' us over for $200 a year!!!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Jeez... don't want it? Can't afford it? Don't buy it. What's the big deal?

If Ableton products are overpriced, nobody will buy them. Supply and demand. Econ 101.

I want a Corvette. Can't afford it, though, so I drive my Toyota and ride my bike.
Last edited by hambone1 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:33 pm

n.m.
Last edited by Poster on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5dots

Post by 5dots » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:37 pm

Moreover, don't buy it if you don't need it. I don't need Operator - I use a couple freeware synths now and then, but I do most of my work with samples - so I've never bought it, and don't intend to.

Ableton has so far had a pretty good sense of what features are essential and which are optional. I'd much rather pay an extra $200 for Sampler, given how useful it will be for me, than have that price built in so that everyone has to pay for it regardless of how useful they find it. I wouldn't want to pay an extra $200 for Live just because Operator was built in.

And really, I think it keeps them feeling "warm and fuzzy" - they've got mouths to feed too, and it'd be easy for them to force us to buy instruments we don't all need, but they're not - they're giving us the option.

Every time a new version comes out, everyone whines about the price. Get over it.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:38 pm

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:42 pm

And you should see the Abes' coffee machine.

They gotta pay for that thing somehow...

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:43 pm

surely they had mouths to feed before the add-ons?

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:46 pm

I don't know I think I would be more pissed if they FORCED us to but the options. I really have no interest in the sampler so I'm kinda glad it's not tacked onto the price without any options.