Midi-controller for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Loopy

Midi-controller for Live

Post by Loopy » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:43 am

Has anyone checked out the Producer Panel yet. The URL is www.handsoncontrol.com It looks like it might be the best midi controller for live...has anyone played around with one?

wedge

???

Post by wedge » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:47 am

sorry ... but in my opinion this is totally bull**** for this use /// :?:

FrankH

But does it work in Live?

Post by FrankH » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:03 pm

It has many key's, but is Live supporting them all?
As far as i know Live only recognises a-z and A-Z, that's 26 X 2 = 52 in total.
But tell me if i'm wrong.

If you go by midi, you can have 128 key's X 16 MidiChannels = 2048 in total.
2048 ofcause is too much, but 52 is far too less.

Building a midi trigger board is a hell of a job, but also big fun. Hope to present some pictures of my thing next week.

Stay in control ;)

f

neuronaut

Computer vs. MIDI keyboard

Post by neuronaut » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:50 pm

I would like to point out that the triggering modes in Live are LIMITED when using a computer keyboard to just turning ON a sample (looping or not).

A MIDI message can turn a sample on, off, and has a few other very important triggering modes.

My dream would be the matrix MIDI box for triggering, like a few die hards on this board seem to be talking about... I want one when you're done! If only I had the time right now...

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:59 pm

i too take exception with this product...unfortunately i think a truly robust controller would have to be more generalizable.

(after all, of course: people want to work how they want to work, not how someone else thinks they should.)

rs

dave

Post by dave » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:58 pm

I work, for Neanda, and the Producer Panel is a prgrammable unit for controling music software. Sequencers, softsynths, editors and the like.

All of the buttons are assignable .
You could have the bottom 5 rows for your sequencer, and top 3 for a audio editor. Or vice versa. It's up to you.

The software with it allows you to design and print your own labels for the keys.

info@neanda.com

Cheers, Dave.

memetic

definitely not *it*

Post by memetic » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:00 pm

sorry, but i have to agree with the objectors . . . . the Producer Panel seems to be a glorified and enlarged, albeit customisable, computer keyboard. while it may offer some improvements to general navigation/usage within a given studio-based application, i think that without some kind of continuous controller mechanisms, like a bank of sliders or knobs, there is little added value offered to live performers.

a controller should offer what a computer keyboard/mouse cannot; for me, that is primarily the ability to adjust multiple tracks/channels simultaneously and rhythmically, i.e., multiple channel fades and mutes, etc. . . . as well as rhythmic tweaking of params (like lfo and filter manipulation). i'm NOT gonna sit there with my finger on the arrow key waiting for the params to change.

also, btw dave, there's a typo in the flash presentation . . . in the "Keyboard Layout" section . . . item 7 on the list reads "4 Layers of Funtions" . . . should be "Functions" . . .

ah, well . . . still waiting for m-audio to release the surface one . . .

cheers

::| m e m e t i c |::

dave

Post by dave » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:51 pm

Oh, please, don't talk to me about that bloody site, total crap, I know,
there's a new one now http://www.hands-on-control.com