Questions running live on both Windows and Mac.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rabid

Questions running live on both Windows and Mac.

Post by Rabid » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Since version 2 I had only been running Live on a Windows laptop. Now I have replaced the laptop with a Windows Core Duo, and I have picked up a MacMini Core duo. Both have 2 Gig of memory and use external Firewire drives for music and other media. I have a 300Gig Maxtor OneTouch Firewire drive formatted in FAT32 that can be used to move files from one to the other. Windows does see the entore size of the Maxtor drive.

Now for the questions. 8)

1. When I upgrade to version 6 will I be able to download both the Windows and the MacIntel version? I will be staying within my 2 install limit.

2. What issues might I run into if I start a song on the laptop and then move it to the Mac? I expect that one of the biggest bonuses of using Live on the Mac is the ability to use my collection of Acid loops on that platform.

3. I assume the upgrade to 6 includes the MacIntel code? Hopefully both platforms are core duo ready.

Thanks,
Robert

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:34 pm

1. Yes
2. None really, unless you are using VST's specific to either platform
3. Yes

Rabid

Post by Rabid » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Thanks for the quick responce. I can work around number 2 by using the included instruments and VirSyn Tera 3 for most things. I guess the real decision will be installing Tera 3 as a VSTI or AU or both on the Mac. Once I update and install I will do a test and see how hard it is to convert channels from Tera VSTi to Tera AU when moving a song.

anch

Post by anch » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi, sorry for my poor english.
From the previous post I understand that I can buy Ableton 6, one for MAC and PC. I'd like to prepare my sessions on PC at home and to use MAC on stage. Is it possible?

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Yes no problems. You willbe authorised for multiple versions but you MUST only have one computer running live at the same time or they send Hoffman2k round to your house who will proceed to strip your computer bare and leave you a copy of danceejay :twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

anch

Post by anch » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:20 pm

It will be very nice to see Hoffman2k here, in Russia :D

Spiralgroove

Re: Questions running live on both Windows and Mac.

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Rabid wrote: 1. When I upgrade to version 6 will I be able to download both the Windows and the MacIntel version? I will be staying within my 2 install limit.

2. What issues might I run into if I start a song on the laptop and then move it to the Mac? I expect that one of the biggest bonuses of using Live on the Mac is the ability to use my collection of Acid loops on that platform.

3. I assume the upgrade to 6 includes the MacIntel code? Hopefully both platforms are core duo ready.
1. yes
2. make sure you have identical plugins on both machine or render the tracks you dont have the plugs for. if
3. yes