[OT] How do you deal with stress?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:35 pm

I beat up hippies meditating in the park. They're too relaxed to fight back.

Good times!

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:59 pm

+

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 pm

minimal wrote:a walk in the nature will do it for me most of the times.
If that is accesable.........what a great idea

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:33 pm

Do one thing at a time. Finish it. Don't even think of all the other stuff you have to do until you've finished the first one. Make the 1st thing you do the one you think will be the most difficult.

I get stressed when I have 10 things to do in an hour, and so I start to work on 3 things at once, finishing nothing.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:47 pm

change hands

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm

knotkranky wrote:Ok, my 2 cents.

Exercise is number one. walk, sex is good. But if you can do 90 minutes of good sweating 3 days a week, even better. 60 minutes minimum. Start slow and build up to it. Squats are the best weight exercise and they'll make your dick really hard too.

Get some sun everyday. If your low on sun, take 1 gram a day of cod liver oil. Avoid sunglasses for at least an hour in the sun.

caffeine and sugar are stress inducers.

baby breathing while trying to sleep. It should feel like your filling your stomach with air. Chest breathing induces a nervous feeling.

Don't watch tv in bed. The bed should be used for sleeping and fucking only. Also, don't fight in bed with your mate.

EFT this works wonders. No joke http://www.emofree.com/

Keep an easy mind. "Thoughts become things"

cheers
These are cool tips, Knot. I like the idea of finger tapping instead of needles for that EFT stuff. I'll check it out. A lot of people (like myself) get stressed at work, and yes exercise is great but you can't exactly start to do jumping jacks in the cubicle.

But give up caffeine and sugar? Ouch. I'll be hanging on to the stress. I love my coffee too much. Maybe if I bump up the dosage of Cod goo and constantly tap myself I can keep the cappuccino...

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 am

but for another serious answer,

stress is usually a result from not living in the moment, dwelling on future or past events can cause stress. the goal is to live always in the moment, here now and do the work or play or preojects that need toi be done.

a simple way to put yourself in the moment and to relieve stress is the most basic of all bodily functions, breathing. (but proper breathing.) most breathe everyday in an unhealthy way that leads to stress, by taking short shallow breathes from the neck area. this is not good. if your gut is not expanding out when you breathe in you are not breathing right.

try taking in big deep breathes through your nose. when you inhale you want your solar plexus (gut) to fill with air and expand out, then exhale through the mouth. try this process when you feel stresses and you will literaly breathe away the stress and start to exist in the moment.

to some this may sound silly but believe me, it works and is neccesary for a proper functioning body, mind and spirit. it has gotten me through life. since i was a child, breathe was the main thing my dad urged me to focus on. your solar plexus needs the energy.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:32 am

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
knotkranky wrote:Ok, my 2 cents.

Exercise is number one. walk, sex is good. But if you can do 90 minutes of good sweating 3 days a week, even better. 60 minutes minimum. Start slow and build up to it. Squats are the best weight exercise and they'll make your dick really hard too.

Get some sun everyday. If your low on sun, take 1 gram a day of cod liver oil. Avoid sunglasses for at least an hour in the sun.

caffeine and sugar are stress inducers.

baby breathing while trying to sleep. It should feel like your filling your stomach with air. Chest breathing induces a nervous feeling.

Don't watch tv in bed. The bed should be used for sleeping and fucking only. Also, don't fight in bed with your mate.

EFT this works wonders. No joke http://www.emofree.com/

Keep an easy mind. "Thoughts become things"

cheers
These are cool tips, Knot. I like the idea of finger tapping instead of needles for that EFT stuff. I'll check it out. A lot of people (like myself) get stressed at work, and yes exercise is great but you can't exactly start to do jumping jacks in the cubicle.

But give up caffeine and sugar? Ouch. I'll be hanging on to the stress. I love my coffee too much. Maybe if I bump up the dosage of Cod goo and constantly tap myself I can keep the cappuccino...
Oh yeah, no doubt I fail those often. mmmmmm coffee. Can't say give up though. I'm down to two cups (grande) in the morn. It's the 3 pm one I want the most!!! The tapping's for real and a couple times a day being greatful for about ten minutes does wonders. The cod liver oil is perfect during winter months when you can't get sun. Most suicides are in low sun regions. I also take about 7 grams of fish oil with a little vitamin E every day. Skin, heart, bones, muscles, brain and all kinds of other great stuff will be thankful and you will notice it. If ya haven't guessed already, i'm a health nut. I could do 20 pages but one last thing. Keep the protein up. Always get most of your calories from protein. No nutra sweet, splenda, sweet n low. Their mind killers. +1 on breathing into the lower portion of your gut. And.... and.....and doing squats with jessica alba. Highly recommended.

cheers

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 am

Smoking weed is relaxing. I think its silly to simply say its escapism..
no more escapism than taking medicine when you're sick - and stress is certainly an ailment, especially if you're stressing over BS.

It has de-stressing physical attributes, it lowers your blood pressure etc...
people have got used to looking at it/abusing it as contraband, or a luxury, or some kind of treat
but it certainly has holistic/medicinal values....so if you think you're cheating by using weed to relax, well...you're fooling yourself and just towing the line thats fed to you by shitty institutions that would rather you were stressed out & paying more taxes ;)

jah love!
spreader of butter

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:53 am

+

spreader of butter

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:53 am

I have never tasted a single drop of coffee in my life, and I never will.

Caffeine dependency is a Bad thing.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:11 am

b0unce wrote:Smoking weed is relaxing. I think its silly to simply say its escapism..

jah love!
true, but when the ritual becomes habitual it's time to center yourself. it kills me that I can buy cigarettes and alcohol at both ends of my block but have to walk 4 blocks to buy weed. The hangover effects of alcohol and cigarettes s-u-c-k, the worst weed hangover is feeling a bit out of it the next day. I started smoking cigs again after quitting for 6 years, horrible nasty habit, talk about addiction, blech.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:24 am

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:47 am

Outside woman... once a week... works like a charm.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 am

brightonalex wrote:Exercise. When I started making myself exercise my seretonin levels went through the roof, I started sleeping properly, its unbelievable.

Doctors prescribe it to people with mild depression, but people get annoyed thinking the idea is ridiculous.

For stress in particular games like tennis and squash are really good. It channels aggression, and afterwards you are too tired to feel stressed. Honestly it is the best thing i think.
Great advice.

Then the "medicine" they prescribe is free.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset