Clip Launching in Session View

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chingy

Clip Launching in Session View

Post by Chingy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:02 am

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could assist me on how to do this in session view in terms of setting up clip launches. I have two midi loops that I'd like to loop through the verse of a song. However, the vocals come in on the 4 count at the start of the verse, not the 1 count. In order to keep the tracks in sync, I need to record my vocals without the first beat if I want to play around in session view. If I record the full vocal, is there anyway I could start looping the midi clips after the first beat of the vocal?

Thanks!
C

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 am

if i'm understanding you correctly, i would do this;

record a 1-bar loop, say with a shaker or drumsticks playing quarter notes.

put the loop in a scene just before your first midi loop. set the FollowActions of this shaker clip to play once and play next clip. then you can come in on the four-count, and Live will start your verse loop on the one. read the manual if you dont know about follow actions.
COSMO'S GEAR: G4 Powerbook 1.5g-1.5ram/Motu 828mkII/Access Virus Indigo/Handsonic HPD15/Battery 2/Korg 01W/BCR and BCF2000/Event 20-20 bas/Lacie FW

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi GaryTracks,

Thanks for replying. I am wondering though, if I have a scene called Intro and a scene called Verse, where would this little 4 count clip lie and where would the vocal clip lie? Currently I have set it up so that the vocal clip lies in its entirety in the Verse Scene and the other clips in the scene have their start and loop markers offset by 1 beat. Is that the only way to offset the start of a clip within a scene? I'm trying to understand how beneficial the clip view is or if the arrangement view is really all I need.

Thanks,
C