Who wants to make a "Live" radio station?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjwett

Who wants to make a "Live" radio station?

Post by tjwett » Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:52 am

I think it would be sick to do streaming live sets on the web with something like Live365 or even our own stream. It's very possible and easy to setup. I'd be willing to build a site for it and handle the scheduling and stuff. My work is kind of crazy at the moment but with some proper planning we could have something really dope to keep us busy through the cold winter. Anybody into the idea? Throw me some suggestions. As a starting point, I think it should be a showcase for artists using Ableton Live and they must be performing the set live. You know, live concert-like rather than just playing tunes on the radio. What do you all think?

os

Post by os » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:45 am

I'd be up for that.
What kind of bandwidth would we need to stream a set from home though?
Would we all have to install some sort of streaming software to support this? Are there platform issues?

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:51 pm

os wrote:I'd be up for that.
Would we all have to install some sort of streaming software to support this? Are there platform issues?
I've done it already with a cable modem. Granted, only a few people at the most would be able to see it though. Live 365 has packages that allow much larger streams though. And the whole thing is pretty inexpensive. There shouldn't be any issues at all if we are going thru a 3rd party server. I'll look into what they offer. It may end up that we would all have to pay a dollar or something. Or eventually we could charge a subscription fee to cover the bandwidth.

jdg

Post by jdg » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:31 pm

well, i have some connections here in seattle with an online radio/etc.., but the musicians would have to physically be here...

but, like TJ said.. you should be able to stream from your house to a central "proxy" streaming server with much more bandwidth tho (given you have a decent connection.. i've never done, but the icecast documentation suggests its pretty simple.
www.google.com

best website ever

FrankH

kind of

Post by FrankH » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:27 pm

os wrote:I'd be up for that.
Me 2 had the same idea for some time ago, but haven't had the time to work it out.
Would be very cool to have a Live streaming station.

A bandwidth of about 30 to 80 kbps would be good enough.

What streaming media are in on this moment?
- Real Audio, best streaming techique ever, but most expensive.
+ Windows Media Player, quite as good as RA, less expensive?
+ Winamp streaming MP3, ...?
[] Quicktime, streaming disaster.
[] Quicktime MP4, not a common standard yet...
...Anyone?

f

jdg

Post by jdg » Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:24 pm

winamp's shoutcast is free so thats good.

also you can configure shoutcast to accept audio from your soundcard input..
www.google.com

best website ever

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:01 am

jdg wrote:winamp's shoutcast is free so thats good.

i heard good things about shoutcast. jdg, do you know anyone at groovetech in Seattle? they are good peeps and might have some good suggestions. the only thing i say is , stay away from Real Player. i just hate it to death. maybe it's better on PC but on Mac it's garbage. i think streaming to a larger host is definitely needed here. Live 365 allows a few packages and has always worked great for me, plus it can play out of any player. http://www.live365.com/broadcast/packages.html
It looks like the package needed to stream in real time starts at $14.95 a month. not too bad and they take care of all the tech stuff.

twelve

Post by twelve » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:03 am

maybe someone could produce a simple "tuner" app so both LIVE PC and Mac users could listen/participate...any programmers, ableton???

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:01 am

twelve wrote:maybe someone could produce a simple "tuner" app so both LIVE PC and Mac users could listen/participate...any programmers, ableton???
as long as we use a standard Mac/PC compatible streamer i don't think we would have any problems. what do you mean? i think i'm just not understanding.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:17 am

tjwett wrote:
jdg wrote:winamp's shoutcast is free so thats good.

i heard good things about shoutcast. jdg, do you know anyone at groovetech in Seattle? they are good peeps and might have some good suggestions. the only thing i say is , stay away from Real Player. i just hate it to death. maybe it's better on PC but on Mac it's garbage. i think streaming to a larger host is definitely needed here. Live 365 allows a few packages and has always worked great for me, plus it can play out of any player. http://www.live365.com/broadcast/packages.html
It looks like the package needed to stream in real time starts at $14.95 a month. not too bad and they take care of all the tech stuff.
yah yah! groovetech! thats some of my peeps.
i'll chat with em see what they think.

jdg

Post by jdg » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:45 pm

oops thats me above.. thought i was logged in
www.google.com

best website ever

Alex Reynolds

QuickTime Streaming Server?

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:22 pm

How about QuickTime Streaming Server? The latest version is pretty easy to set up for music files and such, not sure about real-time input though. Perhaps Broadcaster could help with that...

-Alex

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:35 pm

Doesn't mp3.com have radio stations? Is there anything else LIKE mp3.com? I hate the ads....