another midi controller question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sluggo

another midi controller question

Post by sluggo » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:16 pm

Hi there,

I see that a few people are using the Pocket Dial with Live. Is anyone using Doepfer's Pocket Fader or Encore's Slidemate?

I kind of like the idea of using sliders with Live, I could also use the sliders for controlling mix levels in Logic and Samplitude.

thanks
sluggo

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:20 pm

check out the peavey pc1600x review coming a couple of days after I get one ;-)

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:28 pm

Save your money and get a Niche Automation Station... 16 fader controls and 4 knobs for effects(altho the knobs suck) .. all for 149. you cant get a better deal anywhere... check out audiomidi.com...
Neil

sluggo

Post by sluggo » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:28 pm

Neil,

thanks a lot for the link. The Niche looks pretty good, but I can't find very much info on it (I just sent an email to audiomidi). Do you own one? Does it have any bugs, and how is its reliability?

thanks,
sluggo

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:28 pm

I'm using the Doepfer Pocket Fader and I like it. It is small and works. I got it on sale in December from the US distributor just before they introduced the silver one. It may be ugly black and blue with yellow lettering but it works.

the kooky scientist

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:04 pm

the niche controller is alright.. i own two.. no bugs that i could see.. full midi controller and is fully assignable(you can assign each fader to any channel you want) not a really easy manual to understand if your new to midi.. but since live automaticaly reads midi input to assign.. its perfect to assign any values on em...

response is very smooth on the 16 faders .. i dont use the efx knobs on the side.. i mostly use my oxygen 8 knobs on top...

after i got my first one.. i decided to get a second, just in case it does conk out on me(and since they are discontinued and will not be making anymore) and since they are so inexpensive(noticed i didnt say cheap, its a very sturdy unit, metal not plastic) and i like the green display and led's altho i am very tempted to open one up and replace em with blue led's...

sluggo, go get one, you wont be sorry.. make sure first you have a midi input/ midi input device first.. it is not usb.. it only has a midi input, output, and thru...

lasers and their beams

Post by lasers and their beams » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:00 pm

Audiomidi now actually have a Niche/Live bundle promo:

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/pro ... ct_ID=2346

The Niche really seems like a freaking great deal. I am also considering splurging for the Kenton Control Freak Live. Is anyone using it and/or able to justify the extra expense? (I know Neepawa uses one. Is he still around?) Also, I'm having trouble locating silverDoepfer stuff in the states. The Kooky Scientist, did you get your Pocket Fader at en-port? They still just have blue/puke color for the Dials and Faders, though, I know, color shouldn't matter. But, I AM a pimp afterall!

Steve

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:41 pm

Kooky: I would like to know where you got it - I called around a few months ago looking for the silver one, though if it's cheap enough, I'd get the fugly Tron-camo option.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:49 pm

the US distributor is named En-port.

http://www.en-port.com/

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:19 pm

Thanks - I contacted Doepfer and they were unable to tell me the US distributor. How hard could that have been?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

jory

Post by jory » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:16 pm

I'll have to toss in a niche automation station endorsement.

My only two complaints: I wish the knobs on teh right were continous, not clicky and it is really sensitive to power quality. I played a show a whils back and the stage power was a little iffy. All my other gear worked but teh automation station could not boot, the display just throbbed with the bass.

otherwise, its super sturdy and programmable and you can't beat the closeout price.

metrognome32

EnPort

Post by metrognome32 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:26 pm

Reguarding En-Port, they are the only support for doepher products in the US.. I sent my regelwerk to them 6 months ago to fix one of the midi outs and I'm still waiting!!! :(

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:49 pm

Have you even heard from them?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Agent86

Midi Controller

Post by Agent86 » Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:26 am

Before anyone goes any further with midi controllers, check out the little publicised Wave Idea Bitstream @ www.waveidea.com.

You can only get it from the distributor but for my mind it is by far the best. It has 8sliders and 32 knobs - but 3 banks so effectively 24 and 96. Plus it has a modulation knob.

I've just ordered one. All reports so far are good from testimonials.

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:38 pm

I have seen that, but is it worth the cost?

For $150, you get the Niche Automation Station with 16 sliders and 4 knobs - not sure if you can switch midi channels or not (anyone else know?).

For $200, you get the Doepfer Pocket DIAL, which is small and portable - check out FrankH's posts as he uses the Pocket DIAL quite successfully. Here's something he posted:

With Pocket Dial you get 16 of those updating knobs.
x 4 banks
x 16 midichannels
= 1024 knobs

I use ONE Pocket Dial for controling Live 24 tracks and 4 send tracks each with its own eq and fx. All in bank and channel layers on the Pocket Dial.

The Bitsream does look great if one can fit it in their budget as 500+ Euros is a bit much. I'd certainly look at that one as an option if I had the money.
Last edited by Rx on Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com