padKontrol CC changes — light issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
compositeone

Post by compositeone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Not had mine long so excuse the noob question.

Native mode just turns the PK into a bunch of buttons right, as opposed to all the functions that they "normally" have?
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:46 pm

compositeone wrote:Not had mine long so excuse the noob question.

Native mode just turns the PK into a bunch of buttons right, as opposed to all the functions that they "normally" have?
yes and no; The drum pads still send out velocity, the knobs and x/y still send out info, but apart from that everything's different:

ALL of the interface sends out info, - as you can see the result is a totally different controller!:

Code: Select all

Rotary encoder - relative control
XY pad - x axis
XY pad - y axis
(i have yet to do the parsing, but I may also get a Z value from the pad, ie a "1" when it is touched, and a "0" when it is not - this could be assigned to a midi note value too, like I have on the Lemur; Extremely cool)
Knob 1
Knob 2
Pad 1 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 2 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 3 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 4 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 5 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 6 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 7 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 8 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 9 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 10 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 11 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 12 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 13 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 14 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 15 - including velocity 0-127
Pad 16 - including velocity 0-127
Buttons:
Knob 1 Assign
Knob 2 Assign
Scene
Prog Change
Setting
Pedal
X
Y
Note/CC#
Midi Ch
SW type
Rel. Val.
Velocity
Port
Hold
Flam
Roll
[Pedal input]
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

touring

Post by touring » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:46 pm

I think that the easiest thing to do is assign a midi cc or note to each of the buttons, which in a simple version can be a fixed value. These would send 0 or 127 if they are cc's or note on note off if they are notes, you know, standard midi buttons. Then the user can map the controls to whatever he wants, today pretty much everything has midi learn. And for the lights the same controller or note numbers, so you can control them remotely if you want, or simply, when you push a button, the midi cc is sent to the software (live, reaktor) and the software, if it has a feedback function or mode, would light up or turn off the light accordingly. Don't know if what i said is an evidence, but i think that if you could come up with a sysex -> midi little app for this you'll make lots of people veeeery happy.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:52 pm

Touring, thanks for the reply: So I hear one vote in favour of "keeping it simple", right? I can totally dig that.

So how about presets? Do you need to be able to edit your patches directly on the unit, or would you feel better about an on-screen editor? The latter version would naturally free up all the lovely buttons.

Thanks.

A.

touring

Post by touring » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 pm

For me at least it would be better a soft editor, as you said no need to lose some precious buttons with light feedback...

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Machinate wrote: (i have yet to do the parsing, but I may also get a Z value from the pad, ie a "1" when it is touched, and a "0" when it is not - this could be assigned to a midi note value too, like I have on the Lemur; Extremely cool)
It probably does, since in normal mode it transmits a release value. Unfortunately I've found its release detection to be pretty unreliable, so it's probably just a good thing that you can ignore the z value in native mode (you cant ignore the release value in regular mode as far as I can tell).

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:25 pm

Ok I replying here cause I wanna be as much of a help as possible (as I will definitly being using this once done) but still being quite new to the PK I don't know how much help I'll actually be. 8)

With that said I think I'm definitly in favour of the fixed value and therefore keeping it simple, as I use mine with "fixed velocity" on any way for transport controls and triggering scenes/slots etc.

As it is I mainly use the software to prgramme the pads anyway so I'm certainly down with an on screen editor. Don't really see much point in using buttons on the device when it could be done another way.

Would you still have the 16 scenes on the PK for sets of samples?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm

compositeone wrote:Would you still have the 16 scenes on the PK for sets of samples?
Very good question: That's the thing - we *could* have 16 sets of presets - we could have more, even. One main hurdle to overcome is how to select them, really. Perhaps holding down SETTING and turning the encoder would be a good way. Perhaps using Knob1 assign and Knob2 assign as up/down buttons? I have a bunch of methods in my head, but obviously they all involve making sacrifices :-)

Initially my thoughts were "session view scene selection with encoder+SETTING", but I definitely haven't settled on anything yet :-|

Also, I still have some work to do on the midi interpretation, as there is still a lot of sysex to interpret...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:34 pm

tylenol wrote:
Machinate wrote: (i have yet to do the parsing, but I may also get a Z value from the pad, ie a "1" when it is touched, and a "0" when it is not - this could be assigned to a midi note value too, like I have on the Lemur; Extremely cool)
It probably does, since in normal mode it transmits a release value. Unfortunately I've found its release detection to be pretty unreliable, so it's probably just a good thing that you can ignore the z value in native mode (you cant ignore the release value in regular mode as far as I can tell).
You're right, the release value does suck a lot, doesn't it? It's a good thing that it does though, because this way sorting the sysex for the xy pad will be a lot easier.

(By the way, I just spent some more time checking the output from the touchpad - it's REMARKABLY smooth in terms of cc values! Doesn't skip a single value while moving about, really nice.

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm

My vote would be to use the scene button and the encoder to select scenes, so that the function of that button is still related to the lable thats on it.

Also then in that case I think the LED screen should be used to display the scene number.

Maybe one of the buttons could be used to rotate through different things being displayed there so that it has multiple uses. Maybe master tempo, master volume, selected scene number. er can't think of anything else right now.

Would be great in future though to be able to to programme it to have user defined scrolling msg when it switches on. :P

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 pm

compositeone wrote:Nice clip, when the camera moved left I half expected to see "pwned" scroll across the LED screen.

:twisted:
alrighty - how about this one, then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8SqoWFbW6I

:twisted:
This video contains most of the advances I've made on this so far. I *can* scroll text now, and I can do funky patterns on the pads :-) I will program some more, and then do a test run, triggering clips in Ableton Live and having the pads show the clip states. *crosses fingers*

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:00 am

Machinate wrote: :twisted:
This video contains most of the advances I've made on this so far. I *can* scroll text now, and I can do funky patterns on the pads :-) I will program some more, and then do a test run, triggering clips in Ableton Live and having the pads show the clip states. *crosses fingers*
Looks pretty cool. Just out of curiosity, are you going to charge for it? I kind of get that sense from the video.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:31 am

tylenol wrote:
Machinate wrote: :twisted:
Looks pretty cool. Just out of curiosity, are you going to charge for it? I kind of get that sense from the video.
To be honest, I don't quite know - it really depends on how much more time it takes me to finish this. But I can definitely see how one would get that impression. I'll take that into consideration for the next vids, I'll give them a more "open-source" look :)

Right now it's a lot of fun thinking up ways to use the visual feedback that's going on.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 am

Don't mean to hijack this - but my padKONTROL may have developed a fault - the bottom-right pad is not as reliable as it should be - sometimes it doesn't register that i've pressed it.

Has anyone else had anything like this?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:08 am

take it to the shop and have it replaced.