best/simplest way to get more ram

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chris Paget

best/simplest way to get more ram

Post by Chris Paget » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:40 pm

I currently use just massive as a stand-alone, but plan on using it as a plug-in with other plug-ins in a software rack, and that already starts to feel like a **cpu explosion** in terms of memory use. 2 massive instruments can easily max out the cpu.

I would really like to keep the sound quality intact and not have to reduce to eco mode, or the equivalent in other programs like massive. What's the simplest way to add more memory to a dual-core laptop for live use?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 pm

g'day

ram and CPU are very different things

you need to be sure what you need more of

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:07 pm

erm, buy more memory.
check your comp stats and make sure you've got the correct ram identified.
then check places like tiger direct etc. for a good deal on some.
Make sure you have someone you trust install it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Although it's pretty easy.
Also, you can use Massive (and other plugs) in eco mode, while composing, then switch them to 1st class before you render. Live renders in non-linear time, so the ram doesn't affect what it can handle.
Plus if you're finished with a part, or partially finished, you can freeze the track. Which frees the CPU and the attendant ram and makes your part a temporary audio file.
good luck.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:39 pm

ok since cory had something useful to say..

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:08 pm

It sounds like I'll be looking for RAM from tiger direct 1) if this is what is being used in massive (I'm not at my comp right now - stealing a couple minutes at work - so will check later), and 2) because I'm designing this setup around live playing, even if I get to recording eventually (and I hope to record using live playing). Thanks for the tips (and the nice stuffed RAM!)

twinstates

Post by twinstates » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:13 pm

corygilbert wrote:erm, buy more memory.
Make sure you have someone you trust install it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Although it's pretty easy.
Also, you can use Massive (and other plugs) in eco mode, while composing, then switch them to 1st class before you render. Live renders in non-linear time, so the ram doesn't affect what it can handle.
Plus if you're finished with a part, or partially finished, you can freeze the track. Which frees the CPU and the attendant ram and makes your part a temporary audio file.
good luck.
Ahh, does it free the RAM? Are you sure of this? I ask cos even with loads of stuff frozen I am maxing out the ram on my 2 gig c2duo. . .

Apple are f8ckers for not letting them take 4 gigs, but then i am runnign bootcamp so i guess it's an irrelivancy. . .

Cheers

Ts

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:02 pm

You're right, of course it uses some ram, all programs do, to create buffers of recently calculated information which may need to be used again very soon, like the next couple of miliseconds.
But, if you're harddrive isn't already maxed out, in terms of being able to play the amount of samples you already have going, freezing helps to free up both RAM being used and CPU cycles vs, playing an audio track.
Basically your computer doesn't need to "Do the Math" each time you play back your midi clips with Massive, or whatever else.
Caveat: There's a lot more to explain about how these disperate elements play into the perception of "speed" on a computer. So keeping in mind the immortal words of Morrissey:

"If you must write prose and poems, the words you use should be you're own; don't plagerize or take on loan. Because there's always someone, somewhere, with a big nose who knows; And they'll trip you up and laugh when you fall."

I wrote that.... :D

So come on "big-noses" give us all the gory details of the day in the life of a calculation.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:10 pm

oh, and I havent moved over to the intels yet, but I think I saw that you have to set amount of processor/ram allowed for running XP.
May I suggest running it under OSX? I'm sure you've got reasons for running under XP, maybe some others have advice for better performance under XP.

Rod Underleaf

Post by Rod Underleaf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Vista will be the standard Windows OS for audio apps because it can handle higher amounts of RAM as well as USB flash memory, which acts in conjunction with Vistas "Superfetch" to make a higher funtioning system.

So I am told...

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:03 am

corygilbert wrote:erm, buy more memory.
...and then you would have to find a hidden compartment on the bottom of your notebook computer, make sure you power it down first, then pry it open.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:37 pm

OK - in terms of what is on this page, what would be the best option?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... p?CatId=10

Memory subcategories = Welcome to the Jungle!

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:02 pm

bump :)