MP3 Export

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
anzbevrct

Post by anzbevrct » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 pm

There are plenty of free apps (RazorLame,...) who can batch convert wav to mp3 and you can easily specify that the wav has to be removed after converting. So after exporting the wav you just have to drag & drop it in the app and all the rest will be done automatically.

Just try it. It's very easy.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 am

I'll admit that's not too bad, but spoiled as I am, I would still prefer Live to do this natively :P It'll work for now though :)

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:08 pm

Imagine if PhotoShop could not render your work in .jpeg format. You could only get .bmp and .tga format, so you would have to take your bitmaps through a 3rd party converter to get final jpegs... That would be a pain in the ass, right?

Does it matter how easy it is to download an image-converter from the net?

Does it matter that jpeg is lower quality compared with uncompressed images?

see? :) It is all about work-flow...

cheers, Morten

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:52 pm

I see the pont there. Of course it is a lot easier with mp3 export. For me, it's just that those few extra minutes don't matter that much to me since I don't render tracks that much for mp3 distribution/usage. But if all the other great suggested features are implemented, with still some time for more, I wouldn't object to a mp3 export feature. I mean, Live already reads them, why not write them?

...but even though mp3's are the most popular form of music files, they're still the worst thing to ever happen to sound quality in the history of music. I really hope something will come to replace it, but as the nature of digital technology is I highly doubt that will happen. But luckily storage space is expanding along with the internet speeding up, so not all hope is lost.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

zebebop

Post by zebebop » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:17 pm

+1
In a 2 PASS process (to keep 100% CPU for Sound/fx Quality)
FIRST PASS > the WAV Out DTD
SECOND PASS > Compression WAV to MP3/OGG/FLAC/APE...
But imho there is lots of more important features to implement before this one.

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:35 pm

That's the thing, isn't it? Having to do it twice for the sound quality. Of course, still simpler within one program, but makes you think if it's already in two passes, then why not just use another program?
But zebebop's suggestion makes sense, though... But for impatient people on the run, not thinking about quality, these things should be adjustable...

...but as said before, though, mp3's are never really that good anyway... ;)
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

attrib

Post by attrib » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am

+1
dnb soldier