LA Baby!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
popsicko

LA Baby!!!

Post by popsicko » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm in LA now. I finally got the internet set up so I can connect with all my friends back home.

I live in Silverlake/Echo Park, work on Melrose. Anything cool I should be wise to? Music, art, clubs, food? Please help me out, trying to get my head around this place is almost impossible. I feel I could drive for hours and nver see the end of it.
AHHHHHH!!!

Thanks, and maybe I'll be seeing some of you around.
-brad

nagal

Post by nagal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Cool welcome to LA! I live in the desert area of SoCal but might be moving up to LA. I recently got a job offer in Burbank and might take it. I was wanting to move back to Atlanta but if this job is good enough who knows :)

Cant give you many ideas on where to go as I rarely get to LA but whatever you do avoid driving on the 91 at all costs!!!!

zenke

Post by zenke » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:38 pm

you should probably go to this

http://www.ear-group.net/analoglive%21.html

z

nagal

Post by nagal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:31 pm

zenke wrote:you should probably go to this

http://www.ear-group.net/analoglive%21.html

z
that looks sweet! I think I am going to go to that myself.

ground_control

Re: LA Baby!!!

Post by ground_control » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:21 pm

popsicko wrote:I'm in LA now. I finally got the internet set up so I can connect with all my friends back home.

I live in Silverlake/Echo Park, work on Melrose. Anything cool I should be wise to? Music, art, clubs, food? Please help me out, trying to get my head around this place is almost impossible. I feel I could drive for hours and nver see the end of it.
AHHHHHH!!!

Thanks, and maybe I'll be seeing some of you around.
-brad
What kind of stuff are you into? I used to live in Echo Park and Los Feliz and there's tons of cool stuff around there. You're also in a good position to get to most other parts of the city pretty quickly as you've got the 110, the 5, and the 101 all pretty close to you.

I may be able to give you some more specific recommendations, but for starters check out what's going on at the Echo on Sunset, it's a pretty good little club and cheap, and go eat at the Brite Spot (also on Sunset).

Cheers, you moved into a great area.

J

popsicko

Re: LA Baby!!!

Post by popsicko » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:34 pm

ground_control wrote: you moved into a great area.
Everyone keeps saying that! I came from Seattle, Cap Hill, and everything was so close together. All the bars, venues, food, shopping, art was 20min walk or a quick bus ride away. LA has the worst public transportation I've seen. I can get to the Grove pretty easily, but that's all I've learned, so far.

What am I into? I like that french-electro-house that's in all the clubs right now, Daft Punk, good ol' Synthpop, . . . . but I just like going out, having fun, and meeting people. My wife and are into all sorts of stuff. Art, art toys, and weird food. Not "live octopus" weird, but "I've never heard of that country" weird. I was raised by a German, and lots of Mexicans, so any of that stuff appeals to me!
"BeanerSchintzel!!"

I think I actually have a playlist that has Justice, Kavisky, Gypsy Kings, Leonard Cohen, Radiohead, Jarvis Cocker and Hall & Oats on it. I might have listeners tourettes!!

Thanks for the heads up on Redcat! That show looks like fun, They have other interesting things happening as well.

Thanks
brad

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Also check out the Standard hotel in downtown. They have a rooftop bar that has a lot of cool french electro style acts come through, like Justice, SMD, etc.

Food and stuff I can't really help with; I have a terrible memory for restaurants. I actually have a friend I call when I don't know where I want to eat. I just call and her and ask where I should go. Works pretty well.

As to public transport, yeah, it sucks.

J

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:33 pm

http://www.compressionla.com

on the tech house techno tip.

lots of stuff tho. I just had The Field last night play too. Underground shizz.

rob.
http://www.robtronik.com | DJ Mixes, Blogtronik, Event Schedule

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:27 pm

robtronik wrote:http://www.compressionla.com

on the tech house techno tip.

lots of stuff tho. I just had The Field last night play too. Underground shizz.

rob.
+1 on that. DROID's mailing list has a lot of listings for electro stuff too, check that out at www.droidbehavior.com
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

popsicko

Post by popsicko » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:20 am

cool, thanks guys!
I'm having a house warming party tonight, if anyone wants to come. Should be lots of people.
2705 waverly drive 90039
later,
brad

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:34 am

popsicko wrote:cool, thanks guys!
I'm having a house warming party tonight, if anyone wants to come. Should be lots of people.
xxxx waverly drive xxxxx
later,
brad
I opened a PayPal account to pay for male strippers to show up at the party, any donations?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

popsicko

Post by popsicko » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:55 am

With enough tequila, I'll be naked by 10pm!!!
-b

ScottsdaleHomes

Post by ScottsdaleHomes » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 am

Lucky you. LA would be sweet. I used to hang out around Westwood quite a bit but that was a while back.

Have fun.