Is there a tune that changed everything for you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Martyn

Is there a tune that changed everything for you?

Post by Martyn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:53 pm

With all the best band threads going it got me thinking back at how my tastes have evolved over the years

I actually started out listening to Jean Michel Jarre when I was really young and then discovered rock and metal when I was at shool leaving age. That continued for a long time and I learned guitar, played in lots of bands etc and then one night after getting back fom work I had the radio on and just before getting out of the car in the dark, Papua New Guinea by FSOL got played. It was like a light going off in my head, it felt like I was hearing a sound being played to me from the future, especially when I heard the name of the artists!

Looking back, I really was hearing a sort of calling from my future, because had that not happened I'm not sure I would have experienced some of the happiest times of my life so far.

So if there's been a tune in your life that's been like being hit over the head with a revelation hammer, which was it for you?

m

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:13 pm

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Towers of Dub by The Orb

mmm that bassline...

ilia

Post by ilia » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:29 pm

"The Flight of the Iron Maidens" by Tiesto

ohiowa

Post by ohiowa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:32 pm

There's an evolution of my tastes that can be charted like this:

young kid-listened to the radio then heard THE CLASH's "London Calling" when i was a kid any song shouting out the "zombies of death" was cool as hell to me.

about 1986 i got Bon Jovi's "slippery when wet" cassette, this opened up a lot of doors, i started to investigate rock/metal. then i found out about...

METALLICA (their Master of Puppets record was my first, i picked it up because of the record cover) they got me into Iron maiden and more underground stuff, Misfits, DiamondHead, Venom, Voivod. Then i got into punk in about '88-'89 with the Dead Kennedy's and minor threat, the Minutemen, Black Flag, then i heard about a punk band playing in my small pennsylvania town that opened a bunch of doors for me.

FUGAZI, more dynamic and rhythmic than their previous bands although Rites Of Spring was/is a very important band to me. They got me into No Means No and, some of the late 80's early 90's Alternative Tentacles catalog, noisier and more challenging stuff. Then another DC band changed everything for me...again.

NATION OF ULYSSES. Their lyrics were abstract and vague, their songs lo-fi and chaotic, this was where i was, couple all that with a record called "13 point program to destroy america" and i was sold. this got led to noisier terrain as i found the underground hardcore/art? scene including: antioch arrow, clikitat ikatowi, Universal Order Of Armageddon etc.

then...a few years later i heard two bands around the same time that changed most everything for me.

THIS HEAT. probably the biggest musical realization of my adult life. They were expeimental, made dense collages of sound, were political in nature, used found sounds as instruments and more often than not ROCKED. "a new kind of water", "health and Efficiency", "horizontal hold", "spqr" and every song they made was amazingly tasteful and creative. They forged ground people are now just starting to tread upon.

STARS OF THE LID. at a time when i was listening to mostly fast and noisy music, they displayed a restraint and beauty i had never heard in music. "the ballasted orchestra" was the first record of theirs i experienced and it put me in touch with the Kranky label which led me to Constellation and into more experimental labels like Erstwhile, Matchless, Touch, Mego, Bottrop Boy, A Bruit Secret and many more.

that is the trip i've taken, there are many other side-steps but that's the brief history of it all.
// u n u r //
moderntapes.com/unur
facebook.com/uunnuurr
anywhere anyone 12"ep
coming soon!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 pm

hmmm...one tune is diffcult to nail down, im kind of swinging towards some of ohiowa's mentions though.... this heat's 24 track loop didnt change my life but it is an amazing piece of music.

i first heard california uber alles by the dead kennedys on john peel when i was about 10, it definately took me in a certain direction. i still listen to it regularly today

nomeansno.... when i first heard the 'wrong' album and then saw them play 'its catching up' live, i was sold on them for many years, and i dragged many of my friends into them too

chasing a bee by mercury rev got me into noise and distortion and i am still thankful to them for that

i saw the butthole surfers play at reading festival in 89 and that really was like being hit over the head with a hammer. i was right down the front and quite frightened....when i got home i bought every record they had done so far and there's about 3 of their albums that i still really like, especially locust abortion technician

so thats some of my revelation tunes, there's definately more but i cant think of them at the moment...i'll let some other people have a go

oh yeah, john zorn's naked city album too. blimey

x

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Prodigy - the entire Fat of the Land CD
Sasha and a few other artists - Wipeout 3 soundtrack for playstation.
Various artists - tunes in the Dieselboy mix cd called A Soldier's Story
Various artists - tunes in the DJ Dara mix cd called From Here to There
Various artists / Sasha - GU 013: Ibiza. (various tunes in both CD's)

Daurix

Post by Daurix » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

'Oops I Did It Again' - B. Spears

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:28 pm

Terminator X to the Edge of Panic and Public Enemy #1
BY
Hank Shocklee of The Bomb Squad changed my life in country Australia.

Then I bought my first vinyl... The really nasty violent sex E.P. by Nasenbluten

But nuffin beats Jimi Hendrix.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

dabedoo

Post by dabedoo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 am

KillaHurtz - West On 27th - A Tribe Called Khz Mix

blank

Post by blank » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:55 am

Glory from kmfdm when I was 13

and a couple of others song from that band too

The land of rape and honey from Ministry, nearly at the same age.

But my taste evolved a lot

so now I'm stuck between Aaron funk and edith piaf :)
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 am

Lamb's Cotton Wool - it changed my view of electronic music from "yeah, whatever" to "I have seen the future"
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:51 am

Daurix wrote:'Oops I Did It Again' - B. Spears
Darius?

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 am

mcconaghy wrote:Lamb's Cotton Wool - it changed my view of electronic music from "yeah, whatever" to "I have seen the future"
I'm surprised you say cotton wool

I would have thought gorecki was the most seminal track from them

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:01 am

The song "Download" by Skinny Puppy.

Never did drugs at that point, just sat there with my headphones on going:

W

T

F

?