Yes! Ableton-Linux would be nice :)
84%
No, I'm a windows noob -.-
16%

Total votes: 202

halfhead

Should Ableton have support for linux??

Post by halfhead » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:39 am

Hello peoples. I want to start this post (incase I missed it in search), because I know I'm not alone when I say windows is poop and a version of Ableton for Linux would be lovely.

Basically what I'm trying to say overall is that I want to use Ableton, but I don't want to use windows. I want to give Ableton money but I cannot get a version for Linux and that bites.

Surely there are people who can write the code for Ableton on Linux. And surely there are people willing to pay for Ableton, to use on Linux. I know there are because I read it on so many posts from other forums and web pages.

We all want Ableton but a lot don't want windows. What can we do to fix this problem?

-Halfhead
Recording is fun

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:44 pm

Why do the less than 1% of people running Linux compared to other OS's always think that developers will seriously consider this? I definitely vote no, that would require a huge amount of resources for an insanely tiny segment of an already insanely tiny market.

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:Why do the less than 1% of people running Linux compared to other OS's always think that developers will seriously consider this? I definitely vote no, that would require a huge amount of resources for an insanely tiny segment of an already insanely tiny market.
yeh no poop. it always takes a lot of work to make a new program. You think it was easy for albleton to make it for windows?

I hate morons who give stoopid points. Its always gonna be hard, thats business. But surely Ableton have built up a decent amount of cash and can pay some people (who normally program for free) to make ableton work on Linux.

Its like saying making a Nintendo Wii is a stoopid idea because gaming companies will have to program to support the wii remote. NO SHIT ITS GONNA BE HARD!! If everything was made easy, id be recording with ableton on Linux right now.

also, where did u get 1% of OS users from and what users are u basing that on? Your average user on PC's doesn't record music. But the percentage that do have to pay for windows crap before being able to release any official recordings. Screw that, greedy windows hoobs. I think that the percentage of people recording are trying to find more efficient ways to record. Ableton is lovely but windows doesn't cut it.

Vista will never see the light of day on my pc or lappy. 345k to load explorer.exe is a joke.

but anyways, i can go on for hours about how bad windows is. Thats not entirely what this is about.
Recording is fun

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:11 pm

linux nerds don‘t listen to music..

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:12 pm

haha another ignorant windows user.
Recording is fun

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:35 pm

i've been working long enough with linux to say it‘s crapshit

u want to run a webserver or anything like this..? use lnux..

u want to do anything else than running a server..? don‘t use linux :)

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Daim wrote: u want to do anything else than running a server..? don‘t use linux :)

actually ur quite wrong. If u had used a recent version of linux, say ubuntu 7.04, you'll find you can do most anything. Of course not everything, like directX. But who cares, i have nintendo, i play good video games. Other then that, flash doesnt have a version to make flash cartoons or watever. But thats only what i've played with. im ready to make the full conversion to linux, i just need a flawless program. lmms and audacity are ok but i want more.

too many ppl have been brainwashed into thinking windows is the only OS in the world. what can you do?

"Penguin Holocaust - HALFHEAD"
Recording is fun

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 pm

i got the latest ubuntu because i need it for university.. still dont see why i should use it for anything else

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 am

the problem with this forum is, no linux users are drawn to it because you cant use ableton on linux.

ill just leave it up, hopefully something happens in the future of lixux recording.
Recording is fun

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:29 am

Get OSX. :lol:

8)

Wasn't Linux that dude in Charlie Brown?

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 am

Tarekith wrote:Get OSX. :lol:
as right as you are, and as good as osx is. I cant afford a MAC, especially the one i want.

I use linux, thats the point.
Recording is fun

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 pm

So how many copies of a Linux version of Live do you think Ableton would sell? I'm willing to estimate that that number is going to be less than triple digits, because musicians don't use Linux, and Linux users don't make music. Why don't they make music? Because DAWs like Ardour and Rosegarden are nowhere near ready for primetime use, and there's no support for industry plug-in standards like VST, RTAS or AU. It's doubtful they'd even recoup their development costs for a Linux version. Besides, what software developer in their right mind wants to release a DAW for a platform where the majority of its' users will start screaming blue murder if it's not GPL and free? They even throw hissy fits if software is released under the LGPL...
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

halfhead

Post by halfhead » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:18 pm

mcconaghy wrote: because musicians don't use Linux, and Linux users don't make music. Why don't they make music?

and there's no support for industry plug-in standards like VST, RTAS or AU.

theres plenty people. Just not on this forum.

and yes there is support for vsts. Getting major ones working has been a little hard but im getn there. Native instruments is pretty hard.

doesnt matter. not enough linux users use this forum, which makes sense. No linux version yet.
Recording is fun

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm

There's a lot of interest in Linux from musicians, I find, but there's not a lot you can do when software vendors don't want to deal with it.

As for Ardour not being ready for prime time, I suggest you use it before making statements like that.. I know at least one person who's abandoned Cubase for it, and I myself have found it very useful.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:20 pm

noisetonepause wrote:There's a lot of interest in Linux from musicians, I find, but there's not a lot you can do when software vendors don't want to deal with it.

As for Ardour not being ready for prime time, I suggest you use it before making statements like that.. I know at least one person who's abandoned Cubase for it, and I myself have found it very useful.
I have used it. Sure, I'd replace Cubase with it, too, but that's because Cubase is a hot mess, IMO.
The main reason why software vendors don't want to deal with Linux is cost. They know they're never going to recoup development costs with maybe a few dozen purchases.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin