(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote: Actually, come to think about it, I hate dance music too. Particularly trance. I have to say I find it a bit frustrating that there are loads of people out there getting rave reviews from music critics and the public. I buy into the hype a little and think they must be good, yet when I listen to it I think to myself that the music I make is far more interesting than what these so called great artists do. But I am a nobody in the music world and most likely always will be. I am not a cool person in the eyes of record company executives, so I'll never get signed no matter how good my music may be.

But yeah. Music is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison.
I feel your pain. Well said!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
thelike5 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I know a good freestyler when they can flow without swearing or talking about bitches or homicide. think about it, it's rare.

De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, People Under The Stairs, Jurrasic 5, Dr. Octagon as well as the whole rest of the Souls Of Mischief crew, and more barely even swear, that's intelligent rap and by all accounts they all put out great albums. then there's the more sellout acts like the Black Eyed Peas who changed the song 'lets get retarded' to 'lets get it started'.

De La Soul - the bizness "not from the PJs but I still got something to say"

stakes it high.
I wouldn't neccesarily call it "intelligent" rap just because they aren't talking about shooting people and smacking bitches.

People used to call Jeru the Damaja "intelligent" becuase he didn't talk about shooting peole and said "any idiot can let off a glock" but I wouldn't call that "intelligent". Common sense, sure but intelligent? If knowing that right from wrong is intelligence than I'd be the rhodes scholar of the game.
'intelligent' is how it's often described as a genre, it's not just me. it's not just what they don't rap about. go listen to KRS One and tell me he's not operating on a higher level (pun intended.)

funny how people made the jump that all gangsta rappers have to come from the hood, that's the industry polish, you're buying what they're selling.
KRS ONE? Sure, he was/is operating on a higher level, absolutely.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm

I guess the next question to ask is it possible

as musicians / producers / guitarist / mc's / poets - or whatever your artistry

is it possible to just appreciate the fact someone out there trying to be the best they can be is doing it - some are doing itbigger than others

you kick it with some of these wanna be gangster rappers and they're no different than us

gear junkies on music forums swapping techniques tracking down samples collabing and just kicking it

so they make it and their music isn't what you call the gospel but they came from some of the same spots we did

more or less a lot of the gangster rapper / backpacker / rnb / t-pain wanna-bes are just like us - artist of some kind who just want to do something cool 8)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Machinate wrote:
all good hip-hop is east-coast, with very very few exceptions.

8)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:09 am

I don't hate rap music incidentally, earlier in this thread De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest were mentioned. LL Cool J too. Eric B and Rakim. All great artists who may have used the odd profanity here and there and also put some 'real' content into their music without being terrible gangsta cliches. I actlally own Fresh Outta Compton by NWA, like I said it was an interesting form of expression in it's time but that ship has long sailed for me.

We have the rise of islamic and christian evangelical fundamentalism, polygamous marriage, climate change and environment, recycling, polar ice caps melting, racism, xenophobic, homophobic, the hundreds of thousands of homeless in a rich country like the USA, the millions without health care, nuclear weapons in the developing world, child poverty, constitutional rights and their use and abuse, feminism and the rise of the modern woman, positive stuff about drugs like the hell of addiction and rehab, (rather than 'hit up a crack pipe, getting on a good vibe'), millions dying from AIDS in Africa and the experiments drug companies perform on innocent victims in the 3rd world, animal cruelty (Mike Vick and his gang of dickwads), obesity/bulemia, education and forever increasing budget cuts, etc, etc.

Real stuff that real people can sing about which is not just about me, my gun, my hoe, my stash, my homies and my pimped out Hummer.

Yeah, EMO RAP would be pretty cool actually. Rap that had some naivety and vulnerability instead of crass, arrogant, homophobic, chauvinistic testosterone fuelled stuff that has been pumping out non stop for 25 years.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 am

hey leedsqiuetman,
can i use this term? i'll be that...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:23 am

"fresh outta compton??"

jesus fucking christ man.

talking about hip hop here is like talking about anal fisting with a christian youth group.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

smutek

fresh outta compton

Post by smutek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 am

I always thought their "to heck with the police" song went a little too far.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:33 am

Hey. I wasn't the first to mention it. I liked NWA and Public Enemy. Still do, just that people have barely changed the record since those times. De la Soul were genius in their time.

I think EMO rap might be a winner. So long as the EMO rappers leave out that stupid haircut ... but rapping about cutting could have quite an interesting charm, heh heh ! :P
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 am

:lol:
remember that movie Clueless?? "Rolling with the homies..."

me, I'm the dorky white guys from Office Space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6syezOHJ2Q <-- give it 30 seconds to play out.
"back up in your ass with the resurrection!!"

you, you're a breakfast pastry.

you'd be surprised at how much anal fisting goes on in those youth groups.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 am

you guys are mean. you know what he meant...

what about dr. dre and the chronic back pain?

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 am

dcease wrote:you guys are mean. you know what he meant...

what about dr. dre and the chronic back pain?

:P

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37 am

:D TD seems to know an awful lot about anal fisting at Christian Youth Groups 8O Personal Experience or Fantasy TD :P

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 am

leedsquietman wrote::D TD seems to know an awful lot about anal fisting at Christian Youth Groups 8O Personal Experience or Fantasy TD :P
thank the baby Jesus that Father McDoodle had those small Irish hands.

is is true that when a thread starts in on the butt jokes it's officially jumped the shark?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz