padkontrol vs triggerfinger?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djn8

padkontrol vs triggerfinger?

Post by djn8 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:39 am

Well it's christmas all over again with my Tax returns comming in a few weeks here so it's time to upgrade my minimal bedroom setup. Already got my heart set on a behringer fcb1010 footcontroller and a Axiom 25 keyboard/midi controller. Now it's down to the drum pads: Padkontrol/Trigger Finger/(Akai's similar price range drum machine?).

Just wondering those who own or have owned any one of these could put there .02 in.

Any suggestions would be helpfull in this decision.

I'v never owned any midi controllers for live before (minus my korg kp3 which makes for a horrible midi controller) so I'm not to well versed in the configuration and setup of such pieces of kit. I'm told the M-Audio stuff is all pretty easy, almost plug n play type qualities.
I'm like saturday's, no class!

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:42 am

axiom 25 already has drum pads.

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 am

but if you choose to go for a midi pad controller remember that if you go for the padkontrol remember that it has a xy-pad, so in addition to the drumpads you kind of get a kaosspad to:)

thefool

Post by thefool » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 am

After waiting since somewhere in december, i'm getting the padkontrol today :!: :!:

picking it up after work :)

About triggerfinger vs padkontrol, i have looked various places online and a bunch of videos about them (search youtube. Especially the padkontrol has a great review), i chose the padkontrol.

Its a little more expensive but seems it has a bunch of great features, and from a previous thread about it someone said it was quite robust and while not as soft as eg the akai mdp, it was more suitable for faster beats.

And since i'm smacking on pounding beats atm, i need something i can bang on really quickly and hard.

Also i think you can adjust curves, so for example the snare is allways played in a specific range (eg louder) than say a hihat, and the kick is just allways on max for instance.

I know the music i'm doing requires precise control, but its meant as inspiration, and trying out new percussion and rythms. Then i can allways align it afterwards :)

I know with 100% i get it either today or tomorrow, highly possible today. If i get it i'll throw a little review of it if you'd like that

djn8

interesting

Post by djn8 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm leaning more towards the Akai MPD24 right now simply because it has those 6 faders! which will see alot of play. Also the Akai has Velocity as well as Pressure sensative pads for those soft drum hits when u want em. Additionally the Akai pad's come straight off the MPC2000 which is an amazing piece of kit. Akai also has a sturdier build than the padkontrol so that will be good when I decide to go mobile.

And finally I already own a Korg Kaoss Pad 3 (luv it btw!) so the x/y on padkontrol doesn't interest me.

Although the padkontrol does have some positives too. The red lightup display would be great for dimly lit houseparties and the like. But it simply lacks enough faders/knobs to keep my hands off the computer mouse for ableton.

This is tuff hehe. I'm set on the Akai MPD24 for now, it's more or less a bigger/better trigger finger.

Also I'v come to findout that the Trigger Finger's button sensors are located in the center of the pad. Therefor you have to more or less hit it center mass to activate a pad. My finger drumming is alil sloppy so I'd hate to miss a beat cause my finger drifted a few centimeters.

AlterEgo

Post by AlterEgo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 am

I like my padkontrol quite a bit, the pads feel great to me, and the x-y is great. Using korg's software is a bit of a pain though.

I have demo'ed a trigger finger in my setup but went with the Korg, simply because of the feel.

Go to your nearest music store and touch/feel 'em both.

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:05 am

What a day! I went to one store and purchased a set of new monitors, then when i got home the other store called and said my padkontrol arrived. :D

The padkontrol feels really good. I'm just learning about setting it up with scenes and velocity curves, and overall the buttons feel really robust.

I know in another thread somebody told me that the PadKontrol's buttons was much more suited for hard and fast use than the AKAI, where the akai's is a little more sensitive.

But as alterEgo said, the pads feel really great and currently i like the fact they light up so you can have a better overview of where you hit if its going fast.

That said, i also only spent a little time with it. Maybe i'll find it even more amazing later on today when i get time to play with it :)

schiffer

Post by schiffer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:58 am

I bought the mpd24 and returned it 'cause I couldn't get it to work with my MacBP w/Leopard. Now I have the MPC500 which I can't get to work with Live 7 as a remote controller or in any other capacity. I already know I'm an idiot and I get no help from the people at the store (they're just trying to sell me as much as possible.) I still need a midi controller and some idea 'bout how to work this mpc with Live 'cause I guess I'm gonna keep it. Any help? :?: PS. the MPD24 is burly and makes the triggerfinger
seem like crap. no offense.
Last edited by schiffer on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefool

Re: interesting

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Could you tell me what kind of music you are producing?

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 pm

MPD24

schiffer

Post by schiffer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 pm

If you're talking to me the answer is I DON'T KNOW that either! I'm going to see if my new toys take me away from the traditional without becoming a full-on DJ. I'm definitely experimenting at this point. This could be translated as "I'm Lost'!

No, you weren't talking to me, sorry!

djn8

honestly

Post by djn8 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I started out with simple house/electro mixing on 2x turntables and a mixer. After seeing some of Kid Beyond's work I really wanna integrate a footcontroller with ableton to piece together live songs with different vinyl samples and drum samplers/effects processors ect... ect...

I like everything from House to Trip Hop to Techno to Drum n Bass and some Hardstyle.

I'v heard the Akai MPD24 can't send CC's in ableton live? Is this true??? If that's the case I think the Trigger Finger would be better.

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 pm

schiffer wrote:If you're talking to me the answer is I DON'T KNOW that either! I'm going to see if my new toys take me away from the traditional without becoming a full-on DJ. I'm definitely experimenting at this point. This could be translated as "I'm Lost'!

No, you weren't talking to me, sorry!
:lol:
I started out with simple house/electro mixing on 2x turntables and a mixer. After seeing some of Kid Beyond's work I really wanna integrate a footcontroller with ableton to piece together live songs with different vinyl samples and drum samplers/effects processors ect... ect...

I like everything from House to Trip Hop to Techno to Drum n Bass and some Hardstyle.

I'v heard the Akai MPD24 can't send CC's in ableton live? Is this true??? If that's the case I think the Trigger Finger would be better.
The padkontrol got a footcontroller input dunno whats the use though.
However, from what i've heard the padkontrol is more suitable for those genres because it got more tough pads, you can hit them hard but still control.

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:23 pm

k found the old thread: triggerfinger or Padkontrol:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=