Portable Recorders ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kaffein

Post by kaffein » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Robert Henke wrote:The D50 has much more quiet mic pre amps then the Edirol R-9. It allows to record 96 k and it has a good limiter....

If you want to record quieter stuff the D50 beats all the other recorders in the same price range. I know it has no XLRs, but i do not miss them since I am very happy with the internal mics.

Robert
@Robert,
Lots of field recording requires a shotgun MIC for capturing stuff you really can't get near or just recording in a very "live" environment... So unfortunately that recorder or any recorder w/o XLR inputs wouldn't do for those situations. For general XY stereo recording that sony unit would be quite nice though.

@The rest of the thread regarding shotgun MICs,
As far as Shotgun MICs I can recommend the Sennheiser MKH60 up in the high end coupled with an MKH30 and some external matrix with you want to do any M-S recording. Loewest self noise and flattest response of any shotgun mics out there, so it'll run you about 3 grand for the set. :O Another option is the Sennheiser MKH416 for mono shotgun recording, or the MKH418-s for a point and shoot stereo version... THe cardioid capsule on the 416 does does not sound "exactly" like the 416 unfortunately even though they were toting it as the stereo version of the 416.

Good mid range options are the Senn me66 for mono shotgun, and the AT815ST for stereo shotgun. One of the best shotgun MICs on a budget for the money is the Rode NTG-2, I mean holy shit RODE just keeps wining in the quality department... Will be my next purchase cause It's something I can actually afford. :) (On a side note I personally own a NT1-a and use it for Foley, It's supper quiet and flat.)

If you just need a great point and shoot XY/M-S stereo non shotgun MIC, the AKG AT825 and the Shure vp88 are tried and true MICs. I opted for the vp88 albeit it's a bit noisy, it has more stereo spread options with the M-S matrix, and it also can handle a lot of nasty humid environments that the Sennheisers couldn't . As long as you're not trying to record insanely quiet sounds it's amazing.

Whatever you buy make sure you get a nice suspension and windshield system for it, these typically run as much as the MICs themselves, but you can make your own. I made my own and it works great in REALLY windy situations.
Listen to a sample of a beach recording here: http://www.vimeo.com/777287

@The rest of the thread regarding field recorders... If you want something that you don't need an external M-S matrix, External pre, really just an end all of digital recorders... Go for a sound devices field recorder. Especially if you're going into the fucking Jungle haha... For point and shoot there are a lot of options out there, just be warned a lot of them are really noisy and colored.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:03 am

glu wrote:
forge wrote:
glu wrote:I need a field recorder (very soon) because I'm heading to the Amazon to record monkey vocalizations. I need some advice.
I want your life

Anything is possible. My pessimistic antipolitical, neo-malthusian world view has motivated me to go see the world before it's too damn late. The US is a terrible zoo enclosure; but I guess that can be said about a lot of places. It's nice to get out of the cage every now and again to hang out with other primates!
he he...yeah I dont know what you've been studying at college, but I have noticed a steady increase in cynicism in you over the years there Glu! Maybe hangin with the monkeys will be a nice lift of the spirits!

klacke

Post by klacke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 am

Whatever you buy make sure you get a nice suspension and windshield system for it, these typically run as much as the MICs themselves, but you can make your own. I made my own and it works great in REALLY windy situations.
I would like to make my own windshield system. Do you have any directions or links that would help me in doing this?

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:21 pm

klacke wrote:
I would like to make my own windshield system. Do you have any directions or links that would help me in doing this?
Just responding right now... I'll have some links up here when I get up later today. :P

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:34 pm

kaffein wrote:
Robert Henke wrote:The D50 has much more quiet mic pre amps then the Edirol R-9. It allows to record 96 k and it has a good limiter....

If you want to record quieter stuff the D50 beats all the other recorders in the same price range. I know it has no XLRs, but i do not miss them since I am very happy with the internal mics.

Robert
@Robert,
Lots of field recording requires a shotgun MIC for capturing stuff you really can't get near or just recording in a very "live" environment... So unfortunately that recorder or any recorder w/o XLR inputs wouldn't do for those situations. For general XY stereo recording that sony unit would be quite nice though.
Agreed. Problem is, most of the time some interesting sound does happen, I need a recorder that is right there, ready to roll. I cannot first open a case with a pair of good external mics, connect two XLR cables, mount mics on tripod, or shotgun holder... It is a bit similar to having a pro camera. If it is too big you will never carry it around. I need a device that fits in my pocket and which I can carry around more or less always.

Robert

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:02 am

Robert Henke wrote:
kaffein wrote:

Robert
@Robert,
Agreed. Problem is, most of the time some interesting sound does happen, I need a recorder that is right there, ready to roll. I cannot first open a case with a pair of good external mics, connect two XLR cables, mount mics on tripod, or shotgun holder... It is a bit similar to having a pro camera. If it is too big you will never carry it around. I need a device that fits in my pocket and which I can carry around more or less always.

Robert
Exactly, and that Sony unit is probably the best you're going to get (quality wise) in a self contained, portable point and shoot unit.

@Klake,

Try here there are quite a few ideas you can use.
http://www.google.com/search?q=diy+mic+ ... =firefox-a

I opted to make one out of some 4" PVC, chicken wire, rubber bands, and acoustically transparent fabric... Careful with "fur" fabrics for extra wind protection, if not very transparent it will cut out a lot of high end. Ya get what you pay for.

One word of advice though is to take the female thread out of a MIC clip and braze it to another piece of metal and sandwich that on the bottom of the PVC and another piece on top. (screwing them together... Any plastic MIC clip will have to be routed out to fit through a slot in the PVC, and in the process looses all it's strength.

glu

Post by glu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:22 am

forge wrote:
glu wrote:
forge wrote: I want your life

Anything is possible. My pessimistic antipolitical, neo-malthusian world view has motivated me to go see the world before it's too damn late. The US is a terrible zoo enclosure; but I guess that can be said about a lot of places. It's nice to get out of the cage every now and again to hang out with other primates!
he he...yeah I dont know what you've been studying at college, but I have noticed a steady increase in cynicism in you over the years there Glu! Maybe hangin with the monkeys will be a nice lift of the spirits!
anthropology and sociology. also a few classes on democratic theory, citizenship, ethnicity, etc... that would do it to just about any American I suppose.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:02 am

glu wrote:
forge wrote:
glu wrote:
anthropology and sociology. also a few classes on democratic theory, citizenship, ethnicity, etc... that would do it to just about any American I suppose.
any PERSON I reckon

I did a short amount of sociology the first time round when I was 17 - dropped out though but I really enjoyed the way they looked at things - my dad had a masters in it

recording monkeys in the amazon sounds like a pretty nice way to spend your time though! 8)
Last edited by forge on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

terragong

zoom h2

Post by terragong » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:02 am

the zoom H2 locks like a shaver ..and fits on every photo `film stand...and is in my microwave oven box
heavy on the road here at the mèkong in thailand.....
here in siam its 175 euro.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:09 am

Yay! Decided to go for the Sony D-50. I cannot wait to test it out next week. I just couldn't justify cutting corners to save money. It looks rugged yet real class.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:25 am

glu wrote:Yay! Decided to go for the Sony D-50. I cannot wait to test it out next week. I just couldn't justify cutting corners to save money. It looks rugged yet real class.
Awesome dude. That's the way to go.

Here's an article I wrote on wind protection for shotgun microphones:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... July07.jsp

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:32 am

Oh yeah, another tip is to put a piece of scotch tape over the switch on the ME66. Wind can get in there and create noise but the tape will block it. -That actually goes for all shotguns, not just the ME66.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:25 am

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
glu wrote:Yay! Decided to go for the Sony D-50. I cannot wait to test it out next week. I just couldn't justify cutting corners to save money. It looks rugged yet real class.
Awesome dude. That's the way to go.

Here's an article I wrote on wind protection for shotgun microphones:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... July07.jsp
Awesome article. Wind protection seems like a must! Now it's time to figure out what accessories I will need; I imagine I should look for some kind of portable mic stand and case for the gear. Have any cheap recommendations? Thanks for all your help.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:45 am

Very happy with M-Audio Microtrack II.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:25 pm

A quick question to you lucky field recorder owners:
I live in San Francisco, a town full of colorful, loud people. Everyday I walk the streets and hear things that make me say, "Oh man! If only I could record that guy!" The problem is, my crappy old Iriver recorder takes about 60 seconds to turn on and start recording. By then the moment is gone.
Do any of the new generation of recorders have extremely fast startup times (under ten seconds). I'm especially interested in the Sony PCM-D50 and the Marantz PMD-620

Thanks much!