why mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stesmith

why mac

Post by stesmith » Sun May 04, 2008 6:45 am

hi guys,

looking to get back into this and update to Live7.

Going to buy a new laptop, but just wondering what the advantage of a mac over a PC laptop is?

iv had a search on here but cant wuite find the answer.

Which is a good mac laptop to buy? looking to spend around £900 new or would by a good condition second hand.

cheers

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 04, 2008 7:00 am

There has been many threads about the pros and cons and every other week someone posts a new thread about it !

I'm too tired and lazy to respond but the gazillion mac users (some very knowledgeable and smart, others pure fanboy and tunnel visioned) will extol the virtues of the fruit machine.

Mainly stuff like o/s, being able to run XP on bootcamp and better software/hardware comptability being the main ones. The downside, cost, limitation of hardware/software choices and it's not exactly a great gaming machine (if that concerns you at all, most couldn't give a fig given we're here for music and you can buy a PS3 or Wii etc)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun May 04, 2008 7:05 am

I would still go with a pc, simply because those 900 quid gets more graphics oomph, which I need for vjing.

still, you can get a 2.4ghz macbook with 2gigs of ram in it for £850. That's not bad.
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects ... ly/macbook
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 am

Personally AFA laptops, to me the Macbook Pros are the way to go:
Backlit keyboard (you have no idea how useful this is until you don't have it!)
Bluetooth, Gigibit ethernet, FW800, Express card, separate graphics card (you can attach a 30" LCD to it as a second screen if you like), larger screen, better support for 7200rpm HDs, and more than likely a better all around speed at the same ghz spec.

AFA OSX is concerned, well the worst is arguably over for Apple, Intel transition complete etc. Windows hasn't settled Vista wise, and Microsoft already announced the next OS on the horizon.... I've been thinking about putting XP on my Macbook Pro but I'm concerned that developers are going to start phasing XP out....... I still want to start using Windows a bit, but I'm a little wary.

Anyway beyond that I think it's pretty straight forward computer wise these days, Macbook Pro is the top spot for laptops, and PC for desktops, unless you really need Logic or DP (like me).

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:04 am

To me, it's a no-brainer.

OSX and XP on one machine. No need to 'tweak' - it just works, letting me concentrate on the things I like doing with a computer rather than the computer itself.

stesmith

Post by stesmith » Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 am

is there no sound advantages with mac?

ie soundcards etc?

as far as hardware is concerned, il only be lookinga at a UC-33e, midi keyboard and a drum pad like a trigger finger. il be getting a edirol fa-66.

i had all this stuff but had to sell it as i had problems getting it to workwith my PC laptop as it was running windows media centre. i then bought a house so needed money. looking to get back onto it now but will prob try with mac.

stesmith

DJM 800

Post by stesmith » Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 pm

would the djm 800 be suitable for djing with live?

this is all i intend to use it for (as well as music production)

i've had a read about the mixer, but are the sliders midi assignable?

it looks like a good all round solution, just need a midi interface.

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Sun May 04, 2008 1:51 pm

buy a mac if you like sex with little boys and farm animals

Atomikat

Re: why mac

Post by Atomikat » Sun May 04, 2008 2:20 pm

stesmith wrote:Why Mac?...
Why Pc?... :wink:

Now, seriously, Mac= No viruses,Firewire (6 pin),you can have both (OSX-XP),hardware is more integrated with software (than in PC), COREaudio/midi, aggregate devices, AU's,VST's, reliability on stage,backlight keyboard (Macbook pro's),Magsafe,itunes,stable OSX,less frequent freezes than pc...oh and you don't have 1000+ choices to choose from (so confusing... :wink: ).

stesmith

Post by stesmith » Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm

looks like it will be mac then!!!

mac notebook and PC desktop

any on the DJM 800??

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue May 06, 2008 4:46 pm

stesmith wrote:hi guys,

.....wondering what the advantage of a mac over a PC laptop is?

.....iv had a search on here but cant wuite find the answer.........

come on man...... :roll:

Honestly, just go get a dell.

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Tue May 06, 2008 5:12 pm

smutek wrote:
stesmith wrote:hi guys,

.....wondering what the advantage of a mac over a PC laptop is?

.....iv had a search on here but cant wuite find the answer.........

come on man...... :roll:

Honestly, just go get a dell.
+1. Dell FTW. Or Gateway.

mdb

Post by mdb » Tue May 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Mac = Overpriced - Trendy - Conversation peice

Im suprised they dont all come with Starbucks stickers on the hand rest, and a voucher for a free Grande Mocha Frappacinno.

As a owner of both, id say save your money and buy a PC and get on with your life. Too many reasons to list.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 pm

mdb wrote:Mac = Overpriced - Trendy - Conversation peice

Im suprised they dont all come with Starbucks stickers on the hand rest, and a voucher for a free Grande Mocha Frappacinno.

As a owner of both, id say save your money and buy a PC and get on with your life. Too many reasons to list.
fail

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 pm

mdb wrote:Im suprised they dont all come with Starbucks stickers on the hand rest, and a voucher for a free Grande Mocha Frappacinno.
They do!