What does "Sound Quality" mean to you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sat May 24, 2008 11:16 pm

I wasn't trying to give tips, just ranting with KK(i'm fully aware of his mixing/production skills.)

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat May 24, 2008 11:16 pm

whats your problem? I know he's the "real deal" if you read i wasn't giving tips i just described what i perceived as good sound quality in a track.
fuck you, tiesto lover.
yay!
Last edited by thefool on Sat May 24, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 pm

yeah, and I'm being a tw@. ;)

just glad to have KK around, the dude knows his shit.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, and I'm being a tw@. ;)
+1
Isn't performance quality really really improtant to sound quality.
your first BANGING mistake was not to tell what the genre was and i got on talking about quality of EDC.

ANYWAY A RANT ABOUT TODAYS ROCK:

Hell yeah performance quality is important. When it comes to rock, its a completely other story you know. I hate clean rock recordings, but i love a good performance. (oh me going on with Queen again) a track like "seven seas of rhye" isn't exactly a top quality recording, yet i still like listening to the track.

Save rock, get good performances and less mix trickery.

disclamer:
i know you are a professional in this business and that i never mixed a rock record myself. You are the "real deal", we are not.

why the fuck do i even keep commenting :?
i'm out of here. Bye

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 pm

thefool wrote:why the fuck do i even keep commenting
answer me that question and you'll save both of us a lot of time.

I dunno man, coming from the one person to post a Tiesto track because you loved it that much, I think you should seriously contemplate suicide.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat May 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote: I dunno man, coming from the one person to post a Tiesto track because you loved it that much, I think you should seriously contemplate suicide.
i guess you're right :(

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 24, 2008 11:38 pm

thefool wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I dunno man, coming from the one person to post a Tiesto track because you loved it that much, I think you should seriously contemplate suicide.
you'll be OK, just do it quickly, be sure to leave a note to mum and dad that Tone Deft made you do it, I love getting angry calls from parents.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat May 24, 2008 11:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
thefool wrote:
you'll be OK, just do it quickly, be sure to leave a note to mum and dad that Tone Deft made you do it, I love getting angry calls from parents.
Whats your phone number so i can write it on my note? :wink:

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat May 24, 2008 11:42 pm

i got angry phone calls from both your mothers. can't be in two places at once, but i was with both of your sisters at once... hell, next time i'll shoot for all 4 at once... right in the face :twisted:

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 pm

dcease wrote:i got angry phone calls from both your mothers. can't be in two places at once, but i was with both of your sisters at once... hell, next time i'll shoot for all 4 at once... right in the face :twisted:
I'll give you a second Distressor so you can run in stereo if you make that 5 and bring in tone deft

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun May 25, 2008 12:36 am

Yeah! you dudes are awesome! You pretty much affirming what i'm on about. Btw the Dylan song, point taken. This job is wicked cool. 90 minute sound checks and off ya go. The shit is posted real fast. I've managed to fix a few major problems but I can't keep up and I gotta do it behind there backs. I mainly do it for the bands and labels.

Yeah this stuff goes mp3 but i'm past that. Get it hot upstream and downstream will be better no matter what. Anyway, mix quality transcends audio quality. Ya just gotta make sure the mix can beat up by any audio knockdown it goes through.

As far as explaining things to them, my face is neon blue. Like talking to a bag of hammers. One dude is a proven marketing genius, the other dude developed x-box. But alas, no production chops in sight. They want into the productions and call shots cuz it's rockin already. It's their ball I guess. Pfft, they don't realize they're affecting content. They think they can't break it, but it's like herding cats keeping the audio straight and they've torn down one side of the fence. The cats are getting away. Shit i'm mixing about 40 tracks a week! live, one pass and I wanna hear a record come out. It doesn't happen so much but that's what I want. I mixed a show for "Hed Pe" they put a clip up from the show cuz they liked. I just checked our blip account, over 110,000 plays! Well I had them in our studio for 4 hours. It fuckin helps. They still ask how long sound check takes cuz they wanna cut it down! Fuck! a long time if you need it. Oh wait! i'll just push the "mix the band" button.

Thanx for the rant time and the kudos bros.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 25, 2008 12:45 am

Good points...
Tone Deft wrote: in an extreme when audio sounds bad most anyone will go wtf. when it sounds great people won't say it sounds great but they'll notice everything else (the room, the artwork, whatever) is that much better.

in a movie theater if only the picture goes out people will wait out a bit before complaining, if the sound goes out, people shout within 10 seconds. that's not really related but I always thought that was cool, audio wins.

tell your bosses that this is an audio project. you can put up a site that just showcases audio streams, you CANNOT put up a site that just shows video with no audio.

lie to them. tell the suits that when you talk to the talent (and whoever else the suits don't talk to) you emphasize audio quality and that's the reason they want to work with you.
Bad idea...
Tone Deft wrote: also tell them that this is 2008 and quality audio is not voodoo, you can pull it off easily, cheaply and quickly. cheaping out on the audio isn't going to save them much of anything, when in fact it's embarrassing.

suggest you'll quit if they do that, which I imagine has already crossed your mind.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 25, 2008 12:46 am

good luck dude...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 am

I can't comment, I grew up on $200 8 track 1/2 tape recordings of hardcore punk bands, over the 80's rock slew of the day. In that sense, maybe just loosen up a bit, hard to do if you're working that much etc. but remember it's all just live.

This sums up your problem right here.
knotkranky wrote:One dude is a proven marketing genius, the other dude developed x-box.
Just remember that if it goes wrong, the shit is definitely coming from uphill.

oblique strategies

Re: What does "Sound Quality" mean to you?

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 25, 2008 2:34 am

knotkranky wrote:Yeah, i'm a 25 year audio vet, but I'm trying to communicate to my "no ears" bosses on how little they know.
I'm caught in this vortex of trying to educate them before explaining why it benefits their/our business and
these dudes think they know what is up but they're light years away. Arrg! I need to get to these guys before
they fuck themselves/me. And they will if I can't destroy them in a conversation. Yes, their making some poor decisions right now.
I'll save my explanations for a minute.

I'm just too in it to speak clearly to them.

help *whimper*
You will know sound quality when you hear it, it is self-evident. Is there a way you can demonstrate your assertion, rather than try to explain it?

I have a few pieces of gear that were so obviously better than what I had been using, that I was struck by their quality the first time I heard them. I was not doing any critical A/B testing, just plugged them in, wired them up, & played music through them to hear that they were working. Really revealed a lot about "quality".

That being said, most people are moved by the music or song, more than production or perceived quality. Which is, afterall, how it should be.

:-)