Ableton Live 7 and Reason 4 an integrated workstation?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
BobbyO

Ableton Live 7 and Reason 4 an integrated workstation?

Post by BobbyO » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:23 am

Hello all. Is there a way to make these two work together without having to use Reason as a VST? It really sucks to use Reason as a VST. I want to be able to use AB-LIVE's sequencer and sequence the Reason sounds as well as Live's. I am learning to use both but trying to integrate them is really painful. I feel like throwing my tower out the window sometimes. Thanks.

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:27 am

These work together very well. Reason does not however work as a VST so not sure what you're getting at there. It works via rewire instead.

It really couldn't be simpler - start Live then start Reason, and use the 'External Instrument' device to send midi notes to any Reason instrument and get the audio back into Live.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:01 pm

xrayfish wrote:These work together very well. Reason does not however work as a VST so not sure what you're getting at there. It works via rewire instead.

It really couldn't be simpler - start Live then start Reason, and use the 'External Instrument' device to send midi notes to any Reason instrument and get the audio back into Live.
except for two pretty important issues:
1, you cant use third party plugins with live any more, and ofcourse then not with reason either.

2: you cant send audio input to reason.

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:32 pm

friend_kami wrote:.

except for two pretty important issues:
1, you cant use third party plugins with live any more, and ofcourse then not with reason either.

2: you cant send audio input to reason.

1: bollox, of course you can. Its only when ableton is a rewire slave you can't do that.

2: that's always been true of Reason, its a 'feature' - rewiring it won't change that.

BobbyO

Post by BobbyO » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 pm

im well aware that its a feature with reason/rewire, but it sucks nonetheless.
i know you can use plugins as master, but rewiring live as a slave (i rewired with reaper then) and youll get no go with plugins. so i have to have live as master for that to happen which sometimes you just dont want.

thanksfully atleast for reaper (and most other applications aswell) theres a solution for that so you can have both your "slave" and your "master" hosting plugs using rearoute and midi sync through virtual cables. so its technically not rewiring at all.

more info here if anyones interested: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14485

but running live in slave mode is no go for plugs anyways. which also sucks.