Poll: Is your macBook cracked/cracking

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is your macBook cracked/cracking

Yes my macBook is cracked/cracking
49%
No my macBook is in good condition
51%

Total votes: 35

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:07 pm

My Mac Book got some cracks and discoloration.
I just mailed it into Apple Care, and 4 days later I had a new case. For free.
It's good as new, so everyone quit hating. :P

And don't use tape/glue/gum/etc to fix your computer! Send it in to be repaired! (unless your warranty is over)

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:07 pm

yeah, apple will usually fix this for free.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

silicon1138

Post by silicon1138 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:43 pm

Mine is fine. Apple Care is a must have though. I've never had any cracks on my macbook, and it's been around the world a few times. I ALWAYS carry it in a rubber sleeve and that normally slips inside a well made travelling laptop/travel bag. I've got a great Jansport bag with about 6 unzippable sections, and the main laptop section has serious padding and air cushions on all sides and at the bass.
Every gig i do i rest the macbook on the rubber sleeve to absorb some of the heavy vibrations.

The one thing that broke on me was the speakers, but i've not heard about this as a recurring issue. The white ones do get discoloured too, but when i applecared mine for speaker repair, apple sent it back with a totally new upper plate, where your hands rest - looks like new! I also got it back in under 48 hours -a first for me!.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...
OSX 10.13, Quad Core Mac Mini, Live 10 Suite.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Mine has cracked like the pictures and I've now got various pieces of tape holding it together - I quite like the used and battered look.

This is a pretty common problem, not sure that Apple have admitted to it being a design fault but they will repair it without question under warranty. Plus I've read of plenty of cases where Apple have repaired it out of warranty as well.

If I ever go near an Apple shop I'll take mine in (long out of warranty) and I'd expect them to repair it (when so many people have the problem there is obviously a design fault) but I'm not bothered enough to go out of my way and I won't be bothered if they say no.