motu ultralite question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
misteron

motu ultralite question

Post by misteron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:42 pm

re the ultralite's front panel monitor control:
Does this act like the gain knob on an actual "monitor controller", or does it simply reduce the bit depth (or whatever) of the signal?

Also is that a 'dedicated' knob or does it have other functions?

Finally, is it absolute, or relative (endless)?

Thanks.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi, which knob do you mean exactly? There's none marked "monitor" - see: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ ... rview.html

All the knobs are endless.

misteron

Post by misteron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:24 pm

8O wrote:Hi, which knob do you mean exactly? There's none marked "monitor" - see: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ ... rview.html

All the knobs are endless.
Sorry I meant the one marked 'Main Vol'.
So I guess that is a bit depth reducer seeing as it is endless.
Thanks

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 am

How can you deduce that simply from the fact it's an endless rotary? The knob definitely has discrete values, and it displays the volume on the LCD (eg. -36dB), but how can you tell from that if it's reducing the volume in the digital or analog domain? Couldn't it be happening on either side of the DA converter?
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

misteron

Post by misteron » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am

more an assumption (than a deduction based on understanding signal routing / circuitry etc.)

So u reckon it could be analogue?

I would have thought that if it is endless it is a digital control and could only be controlling a digital parameter.

Is that wrong then?

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 am

What does any of this actually mean and what difference does it all make? Aren't we just talking about a volume control on an audio interface?

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 am

Turn it clockwise, volume goes up, anti-clockwise volume goes down.

Fantastic feature really, couldn't live without it.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:40 am

My understanding is that if it reduces volume by reducing bit-depth you actually end up losing dynamic range and can't listen accurately at low volumes. If it's analog, then you keep all your bit-depth (and dynamic range) while you lower volume after digital processes are finished.

Actually, I think it's more accurate to say that as you lower volume by reducing bit-depth, you are losing resolution, i.e. you have fewer "steps" in which to represent the same dynamic range, therefore you lose detail and accuracy in your monitoring. Which sucks.

I got mine under the assumption that the main volume knob is an analog pot. Don't know this for sure. I was using an M-Audio Ozone before, which was a neat little starter interface but had no volume control of any kind, so I had to control my volume with the master volume of my DAW or else lower my computer's volume. Both of these options reduced bit-depth. Much happier now. I think. Well, I definitely like having a damn knob anyway.

misteron

Post by misteron » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:22 am

Teedub wrote:My understanding is that if it reduces volume by reducing bit-depth you actually end up losing dynamic range
This is pretty much what I'm thinking
Teedub wrote:I got mine under the assumption that the main volume knob is an analog pot. Don't know this for sure.
It is analog. According to the manual, the control is digital but the trim itself is analog.
manual wrote:...digitally controlled analog trim
Same applies to all other controls IIRC