[OT] NOISE.IO iphone monosynth finally out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siliconarc

[OT] NOISE.IO iphone monosynth finally out

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:25 pm

and its really impressive. seriously, so much thought has gone into this. the user interface is taking some getting used to, but every feature you try, you end up grinning at how cleverly they've implemented it for touchscreen use. it uses some odd take on FM synthesis and you get the similar dirty metallic sounds that Operator excels at, but there are more modulation possibilities with the IO. pretty much essential purchase at the price.

vids and stuff at http://noise.io/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:47 pm

So it's working pretty good? Been eying this one for awhile, like what I see so far. You CAN save your sounds and arp patterns right?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:So it's working pretty good? Been eying this one for awhile, like what I see so far. You CAN save your sounds and arp patterns right?
yep. there's a comprehensive preset manager in there, where you can upload and download new preset banks, share them on the IO site etc. still finding new stuff on this thing. just messing with mod routings at the moment. there's a dedicated modulation sequencer that you can assign to anything, as well as 3 freely routable lfos. then there's the multitouch xy modulation page with 8 assignable switches, accelerometer to any parameter.... its a proper jaw-dropper. go grab it man, you'll love it.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:20 pm

Just grabbed it, so far it appears and sounds very cool, at the very least, simply more personal entertainment for the subway ride.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:58 pm

We're researching the possibility of MIDI over Wi-Fi and will possibly implement it in an update.
:D

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:04 pm

I know the whole app store thing has only been around for 4 months or so but I think the next big step that has to be made for music apps is some kind of MIDI connection. I don't even think it has to be wireless at first but I also don't know how the communication would happen through the connection wire or if it is even possible.

rjbourc

Post by rjbourc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 pm

beats me wrote:I know the whole app store thing has only been around for 4 months or so but I think the next big step that has to be made for music apps is some kind of MIDI connection. I don't even think it has to be wireless at first but I also don't know how the communication would happen through the connection wire or if it is even possible.
You've seen the iTouchMidi stuff, right?

http://www.itouchmidi.com/

It's pretty cool - be nice if more apps had this built into them. Some of the OSC-based apps are nice as well.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:21 pm

rjbourc wrote:
beats me wrote:I know the whole app store thing has only been around for 4 months or so but I think the next big step that has to be made for music apps is some kind of MIDI connection. I don't even think it has to be wireless at first but I also don't know how the communication would happen through the connection wire or if it is even possible.
You've seen the iTouchMidi stuff, right?

http://www.itouchmidi.com/

It's pretty cool - be nice if more apps had this built into them. Some of the OSC-based apps are nice as well.
Yeah, I got those but as far as I know they're a means to control your DAW and plug-ins. What I'm talking about is the apps that are softsynth and drum modules within the iphone/ipod touch and a means to control and route them from your computer.

rjbourc

Post by rjbourc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:29 pm

What I'd like to see is an iPhone/iPod app which pairs up with and sends MIDI to a custom Mac instrument. That way I could use the multitouch control surface of my iPod Touch with the high powered sound synthesis capabilities of my MBP. Something along the lines of a multitouch version of the Metaphysical Function ensemble for Reaktor would be pretty sweet.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:45 pm

i had already mentioned noise.io sometime ago on another iphone app thread :)

quite impressive from my first experiments with the beta

is it already on the app store ?

rjbourc

Post by rjbourc » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:05 am

nonnus wrote:i had already mentioned noise.io sometime ago on another iphone app thread :)

quite impressive from my first experiments with the beta

is it already on the app store ?
Yes it is there.

So nonnus, is two-way midi possible with the current iPhone developers kit?

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:34 pm

what do you mean two way ?

midi in and out ?

if so we already have this on the itm apps that feature midi feedback

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm saying in regards to drum and synth modules within the iphone can you use a DAW or hardware controller to control them and have the sound come out the iphone just like a hardware sound module?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Hmm, pretty cool app, been messing with it the last day or two. I really like that finally an app is out that lets you create melodies and custom synth sounds, especially patterns that can be 64 steps long. Sound quality is really good, and the interface has some interesting features. I do think that some things are more complicated than they need to be. Lots of menu diving to do some simple things, and the whole way you enter edit mode from performance mode strikes me as clumsy. Minor crits though, still a pretty fun app, well worth the $9.99.