Yes! Ableton-Linux would be nice :)
84%
No, I'm a windows noob -.-
16%

Total votes: 202

rsaulo

I WANT LINUX SUPPORT

Post by rsaulo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I want linux support and think that many of the paying LIVE users NEED to request this, and i clarify why :

1 - The market is changing, windows is now less than 90% of the market of desktop OS, MACOSX is growing and.......LINUX is growing, ubuntu is a great distro and is changing many minds...

2 - Mac is not the same, Apple dropped powerPC and now run in a intel chipset, lost reliability to gain market share

3 - MacOSX is a UNIX !!!! the port to LINUX is just a re-compile work, at least in theory, exceptions will be resolved simply, IMHO justify the effort.

4 - Ableton has today an software that is unique, there is no other software in the same area, if ableton not do this, SOMEONE WILL, and in that time, ableton will not be the first, will lose market share.

5 - TODAY, I see LIVE as the ONLY software that not runs on linux and has no equivalent, all other stuff has linux equivalent, Office, Music Players, Browsers, etc. If ableton close your eyes to linux, when someone (a company perhaps) launch a software like live for linux, BEFORE ableton, will get many users that will kick off LIVE not because the other software is better, but simply because they will NEED and WANT to user linux and kick the ass of MS and APPLE.

Now I ask everyone in this forum :

CAN ABLETON LOSE USERS BECAUSE OF AN OS THAT IT´S NOT WANT TO SUPPORT?

If Ableton not consider Linux in future plans for LIVE, it´s just leaving the room open to other companies that will do it faster, and steal let´s say.. 10% of his users, and 10% is a BIG beggining for a new software on a not explored platform.

Just my cents...

noisetonepause

Re: I WANT LINUX SUPPORT

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:40 pm

rsaulo wrote:3 - MacOSX is a UNIX !!!! the port to LINUX is just a re-compile work, at least in theory, exceptions will be resolved simply, IMHO justify the effort.
Seeing as Live once worked on OS 9, I'm guessing it's still a Carbon app where that's relevant. There might be a tiny bit of Cocoa in it these days, and of course Ableton have made their bespoke UI framework and audio engine, etc., but still it's mostly coded against Apple APIs. There is most likely not a single function call in Live that interfaces directly with the UNIX API layers in Mac OS X. Most OS X software is like this, coded against Apple's proprietary APIs.

Live is obviously very portable and well-written software (running fine with full file format compatibility on both big and little endian systems, and with little-to-no difference between the Old Mac, OS X and Windows versions), but there's no way that making it run on Linux doesn't involve adding yet another OS interface underneath to access things like the file system, audio devices and the windowing system, because that's where the OS is relevant. It's probably a lot easier for Ableton than it would be for e.g. Apple to port Logic, but it is most certainly not a recompile. MacLive isn't a UNIX app.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

tan111

Post by tan111 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 pm

I see more and more people and whole companies shifting to Linux. So, it's worth doing.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Daim wrote:i cannot imagine a guy like this running live

what you mean i seen him last night playing a live show in panorama bar.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:17 pm

audiofeen wrote:

that is a cool look for a band of computer musicians. Half-mast trousers. Sticky tape on the spec's. Shoulder straps on the ancient laptop, converted to a MIDI controller.
Shit - that's a great idea, I say we start that band on this forum, create the songs using Lives new collaboration feature and then ANYONE can perform as the band as long as they dress like this.

suggestions on band-names?

The Distro's ?
The Free BSDs ?
Slackware ?
The Consoles?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 pm

D.O.S.

:lol:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm running the latest Live 7 in Ubuntu 8.10 using WINE right now. Performance isn't great, but it works, except the window insists on being a few hundred pixels taller than my screen, so I can't access the bottom of the clip/instrument view. Any ideas? I've tried making WINE emulate a desktop but it's not helping.

Also, all dialog windows (including the prefs) show up empty.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm

sorry am not on linnux but have you tried reducing the screen resolution
in the windows settings to make the screen smaller.
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Angstrom wrote:
audiofeen wrote:

that is a cool look for a band of computer musicians. Half-mast trousers. Sticky tape on the spec's. Shoulder straps on the ancient laptop, converted to a MIDI controller.
Shit - that's a great idea, I say we start that band on this forum, create the songs using Lives new collaboration feature and then ANYONE can perform as the band as long as they dress like this.

The Distro's ?
The Free BSDs ?
Slackware ?
The Consoles?
add some mexican wrestling masks and i'm in :P

Gibert: I just wanted to say that I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds. I mean uh, all our lives we've been laughed at and made to feel inferior. And tonight, those bastards, they trashed our house. Why? Cause we're smart? Cause we look different? Well, we're not. I'm a nerd, and uh, I'm pretty proud of it.
Lewis: Hi, Gilbert. I'm a nerd too. I just found that out tonight. We have news for the beautiful people. There's a lot more of us then there are of you. I know there's alumni here tonight. When you went to Adams you might've been called a spazz, or a dork, or a geek. Any of you that have ever felt stepped on, left out, picked on, put down, whether you think you're a nerd or not, why don't you just come down here and join us. Okay? Come on.
Gibert: Just join us cos uh, no-one's gonna really be free until nerd persecution ends.
lol

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:00 pm

now you asked for it.......

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 pm

The Distro's ?
The Free BSDs ?
Slackware ?
The Consoles?
There's no place like 127.1.1.1

[/quote]

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:37 pm

audiofeen wrote:There's no place like 127.1.1.1
Not true. There's ::1...

fhyio

Re: Should Ableton have support for linux??

Post by fhyio » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:41 am

I want to have Ableton 8 to be able to support linux without any bugs.
Apple and microsoft just want to take over the world.

Give back the power to the people
:idea:

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 am

fhyio wrote:I want to have Ableton 8 to be able to support linux without any bugs.
:
you forgot "world peace" and "ice cream for everyone" ;-)

ibdk

Post by ibdk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

If Ableton for some reason added Linux, I'd hate to be in tech support. Just getting all the audio and device drivers to work under Linux, if even possible, would be a nightmare. Is the graphics library that Ableton uses even available in Linux?