[frs]l8b3 windows7beta+7.0 library crash

sdfak1234

[frs]l8b3 windows7beta+7.0 library crash

Post by sdfak1234 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:39 am

I have live8b3 running on windows 7 beta, it's a new corei7 machine and I have also been running live7 on it for a few weeks now...

First let me say, Windows 7 with the corei7 has considerably better audio performance with both live7&8, tho I noticed no specific improvment via 8, tho it's early days...

I dont know whats different under the hood, but I have noticed considerable improvement in windows 7, not only in file operations, but much better latency under load... even in this early beta stage, windows 7 beta is much better for music applications than vista or even xp... I should say though, there may well be specific optimisations with regards the i7 chip..

All my plugins worked completely, the only one that didnt work was Nebula, I havent used that much on tracks, but I would like it to work, cuz with an i7, the cpu load isnt that bad anymore. let me just write this, with my emu1820m, I can run 48khz, 2ms latency and I have yet to be able to even have an audio glitch, let alone dropouts, 20 altiverbs, no problem... and it feels smoother too... I may do some more specific tests but I'm too busy right now... anyway, it's well worth a look.

I did however have a problem when running live8 beta 3 for the first time, I had an existing live7 installation which had it's library on another drive, with extra stuff in it ... renaming the library (so that it didnt exist anymore to live) fixed it and live8 started up. Other than that I did have a problem selecting from a long list of presets, but I think that has been mentioned... working well so far, nothing strange happening in windows 7 beta. Great peformance, I think it would be great on laptops. Soundcards I've tried: Emu1820m, echo AudioFire8, will try yamaha n12 next week.

EDIT: sorry should point out, Nebula doesnt work at all on Windows7 it's not live8 specific, it doesnt work on cubase either.
Last edited by sdfak1234 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Hmmm.

1. Shouldn't we be concentrating our beta efforts to OSes that will actually be supported by Live 8? And that are released?

2. It isn't fair to report a bug on an unreleased OS.

.m

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:03 pm

well, honestly I couldnt disagree more, I do get your points, and they are valid, but windows7 is out this year, I think people are interested in compatibility.... I was, thats why I tried it. I do understand beta on beta is probably going to result in more bugs, but that's why we're testing them and as I programmer myself I would want to know, because these things are often easy to understand and fix, like with redistributables and such.

Your point would make more sense if I reported that it was a complete nightmare... but I didnt, I had one libary problem that probably exists in vista as well, other than that I was simply reporting that it basically works without issue in windows7, which I think is a valid piece of information.

Also Live8 wont support Windows 7??, why wouldnt it? let me say again, windows 7 is leagues ahead of former os' when it comes to audio performance, people are going to want to use that platform... and it may reassure people to know it works already. All I'm saying... I will continue to post my experiences with windows7 and vista for those that care, if people arent interested or ableton doesnt want to support it, that's fine, just skip over the thread...

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm sure Live will support Win7. Once it's out.

I still find it strange to report bugs found on a beta OS. But I'm not a programmer, so what the hell do I know? :?

.m

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:20 pm

it's all good man, I figure theres no harm mentioning it... i'm using w7 as my primary and it's a solid beta actually.

ilia

Re: l8b3 windows7beta+7.0 library crash

Post by ilia » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:44 am

sdfak1234 wrote: EDIT: sorry should point out, Nebula doesnt work at all on Windows7 it's not live8 specific, it doesnt work on cubase either.
cool, you just saved me the trouble of looking into Windows 7. I use Nebula 3 in virtually every project.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:29 am

it may be worth emailing the nebula folks cuz they're quite good with this, it should work, it's probably just an os exception in the code and therefore easier to fix. I read another thread that it crashes live8 anyway, with vista & i7 it rocks by the way, much more usuable with the extra cpu.