What mixer is best for use with Live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Tyrexionibus

What mixer is best for use with Live?

Post by Tyrexionibus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 pm

As the question says.

I'd think an Allen&Heath Xone:4D is best for use with Live, but I don't know if that's correct.

What are your opinions ?

Cheers :P :P :P :P

pirco

Re: What mixer is best for use with Live?

Post by pirco » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 am

not much to say except that my friend here is using an Allan&Heath xone:3D and it leaves nothing else to ask for!
Macbook pro (2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM), Multiface II & HDSPe ExpressCard, Ableton Live (w/Session Drums), Roland TD-10 vDrums

Tyrexionibus

Post by Tyrexionibus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 am

pirco wrote:not much to say except that my friend here is using an Allan&Heath xone:3D and it leaves nothing else to ask for!
OK, here's my doubt, completely explained:

I have the following hardware:

MIXER: PIONEER DJM-400
SOUNDCARD: M-AUDIO FIREWIRE 410
MIDI CONTROLLER 1: M-AUDIO O2
MIDI CONTROLLER 2: M-AUDIO EVOLUTION UC-33E

My question is:

WHAT DOES THE XONE:4D INCLUDE ?

- or, better: -

If I sold all the hardware listed in the upper lines, would a Xone:4D be able to cover all the features that all the listed hardware would cover?

in poor words: what does the XONE:4D include?

I have read more than 200 possible MIDI mappings, 2 MIDI controllers, a 20-channel soundcard.. it would replace all my hardware!

Is that correct?

8O 8O 8O

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:08 am

i think apc40 akai is a very good mixer
it has faders for 8 tracks
every track with also 3 sends and pan and knobs for all effects
lot of knobs to press, really flexible
and a lot of knobs for controlling clips

and... way easier to take somewhere, it's not that huge as an allen and heath

and if you want allen and heath sound quality... you have 800 euro's left to spend on this
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

sherman

Post by sherman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:47 am

After looking at a few digital mixers, I picked up a Behringer DDM4000. After mapping all of the controls to things I use, it's become perfect for mixing in ableton. At a third of the price of a VCM600, it seemed like a no brainer. It also gives me the option to mix on the unit, instead of through Live if I choose (I'm only using it as a controller atm...) Great value for money, try this unit if you ever get the chance. It's ace :D
--sherman

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:57 am

I would use an MPD 32- I know its not a mixer, but....its up there!
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

Tyrexionibus

Post by Tyrexionibus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am

Ok, I've picked up some info about the mixers you told me.

But my question was:

can the XONE:4D (or :3D also) replace all the hardware I listed in my previous thread?

I mean: does it act like a MIDI controller, mixer & soundcard?

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Tyrexionibus wrote:Ok, I've picked up some info about the mixers you told me.

But my question was:

can the XONE:4D (or :3D also) replace all the hardware I listed in my previous thread?

I mean: does it act like a MIDI controller, mixer & soundcard?
yes.... and because it;s all in one... it's difficult to travel with it
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 am

yes - but I'd rather suggest you buying NI's audio 8 + 2x xone1d, and a cheap mixer for bedroom usage. Imho, optimal choice would be nuo4 / 4.0... relatively cheap but still kickass ;)

100 times more mobile and a lot more reliable, but it depends on the places u want to play - it may be better to buy all in one solution.

Nikos T

Post by Nikos T » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:13 pm

I would go with either the Ecler EVO 5 (full MIDI mapping and an excellent mixer, Ecler makes quality products) or the Allen & Heath Xone: 4D.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:16 pm

sherman wrote:After looking at a few digital mixers, I picked up a Behringer DDM4000. After mapping all of the controls to things I use, it's become perfect for mixing in ableton. At a third of the price of a VCM600, it seemed like a no brainer. It also gives me the option to mix on the unit, instead of through Live if I choose (I'm only using it as a controller atm...) Great value for money, try this unit if you ever get the chance. It's ace :D
I'm considering this as an option.

recently bought a mac and it only has 2 USB inputs so my controller and soundcard take both of those up.

Would the DDM4000 act as the soundcard and the mixer/controller and replace my current set up? The VCM-600 was my first choice but the shop I use for all my equipment doesn't have them in yet so I was looking for an alternative and this might just be it...

Kenny

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm

the XONE 4D is good for what you looking for. the D/A konverter are better than in the other mixers. buy you a good flightcase and everything will be fine.
but your question : What mixer is best for use with Live? i don`t know...

sherman

Post by sherman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 am

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:recently bought a mac and it only has 2 USB inputs so my controller and soundcard take both of those up.

Would the DDM4000 act as the soundcard and the mixer/controller and replace my current set up? The VCM-600 was my first choice but the shop I use for all my equipment doesn't have them in yet so I was looking for an alternative and this might just be it...

Kenny
The DDM doesnt act as an audio interface. The only connection it has to your laptop are standard midi IN and OUT 8pin plugs, so you'll need an interface for them to use it as a controller. My audio interface has midi IN / OUT so, it actually frees up a USB port on my macbook :D

I'll post a pic of my mapping later for anyone that's interested. Still adding to it, but can already do a whole lot :D
--sherman

SoundValve7

Post by SoundValve7 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:10 am

"Best Mixer" really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Is this a DJ mixer? Studio mixer? Live electronic performance mixer? My personal preference (as all setups SHOULD be) is..... custom Doepfer thing I'm building + Korg Zero in one case and a Lemur + Novation ReMote SL Zero + Kore 2 packed into another case. Ask yourself what your specific needs are and then buy what fits the bill.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 am

korg zero4 if you're doing traditional djing.