Ableton And Guru Multi outs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fastfx

Ableton And Guru Multi outs

Post by fastfx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi, i have read a thread on this topic and seen a vid on youtube but for some reason just can't get guru working on multiple channels in live.

I have enabled 'send engines to multiple outputs' in guru, set up guru on a midi channel in live, and added 8 further midi channels for my 8 engines.

Then in the routing section on lives mixer i have got the 8 channels as follows - midi to - 1 guru (for all 8 channels this is the same) and underneath that where it says 'track in' i have selected 2guru for example so that i get engine 2, and i still haven't got any audio.

I have it set up in logic8 perfectly, using auxilarys for the 8 engines. Maybe this is where i'm going wrong.

any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

many thanks

Tom

UKRuss

Re: Ableton And Guru Multi outs

Post by UKRuss » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:32 pm

You are confusing how to set up a Live set to send midi to one instance of Guru to control each individual engine and having Guru send it's audio output from each engine out to a seperate track in Live.

For what you need to do you must set up 8 separate AUDIO tracks, not midi, and have audio out, Guru-1 in each track and the drop down underneath to select each separate stero out pair from Guru. Then on the actual Guru midi channel, select output to 'sends only' and on each audio track set monitor to 'in'.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply, i have just tried exactly what you said and i still don't get any sound. Not even on the level meters.

What i get under the box that says '1-guru' on the audio channels is '1/2 guru' but it's greyed out - i can't select any of the stereo pairs.

Also, i think you misunderstood what i wanted, i want to have midi control of the 8 guru engines, so i can click on say channel 3 of the midi channels and play my midi keyboard and it will play engine 3.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Yo Tom, I'm not familiar with guru but your solution can't be too dissimilar than what I had to do to get Stylus RMX working multitimbrally. So check out their video it should help.
http://support.spectrasonics.net/instru ... n_Live.php
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 pm

I tried that video, and it's just the same as guru really, i followed it, and STILL can't get it working.

I'm really baffled by this, i totally get the concept, i just can't seem to get any audio from it.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am

Did you remember to to assign the individual pad to a different output than the master ?

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

I don't want each 'pad' going to a different output, i want each of the 8 engines in guru going to its own channel in live, and when i click on say channel 4 i can play engine 4's sounds with my midi keyboard, or if i click on engine 6 i can play engine 6's sounds with my midi keyboard.

I also want to be able to control these 8 engine channels with volume faders, pans etc, just like i have in logic where i have set up guru as a multi-timbral instrument, then i have 8 auxilary channels for each of the 8 engines, i control the volume, pan, effects, on each auxilary, so i could have some delay on aux1, phaser on aux2, etc etc

Hope i am making sense.

Thanks for any help guys, this one is really baffling me!

Tom

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:07 pm

You need your 8 midi channels set up as you described initially to CONTROL Guru's 8 engines and then set up 8 audio channels as i described for Guru to output the audio from each engine.

I have a video for the set up top control Guru here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQleyCRS3s

The way i described above in this thread definitely works for output from Guru, not sure why your stereo pairs out of Guru are greyed out.

1 midi channel with Guru on
8 Midi channels as per my video to control each engine of Guru separately
8 Audio channels as per my description above for individual Guru engine audio out to separate tracks in Live.

...although if you are not needing to control Guru Live, this is a pretty convoluted way of doing it.

I would just record audio loops of each pattern, engine and kit in Guru and drag an drop them as audio clips in one Live audio track.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:28 pm

I will give it a try, i don't want to have clips from different engines on the same track as a track can only play one clip at a time. I want to have each of gurus engines on seperate tracks so i can have different effects on them, different level settings, and so i can play them with my midi keyboard.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Just drag each clip to a new audio track. There are many ways to do what you are trying to do essentially.

If you are playing Guru live then OK i see what you want to do, but if you are producing, make what you want in Guru, render to audio and use as a clip in live on multiple tracks if necessary or in Simpler/sampler for triggering via midi controller. Much less hassle and lighter on CPU.

Up to you of course, just my 2c.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:25 pm

i see what you're saying but i don't want to render my guru engines/clips to audio because i sometimes change things up within that clip, eg move some midi parts around, or re-do the midi clip entirely. or have a few different versions of it.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:16 pm

i do something similar w/ the e-mu proteusvx.

you want 1 midi track w/ guru and 8 more midi tracks, each with an "external instrument" instrument.

ensure to set the guru track-record monitor so that it is always on, but for midi input you should select no input.
this tip probably sounds strange, but there is a reason.

you are going to be pointing each of the 8 external instrument plug-ins to guru.
so, go to each of the external instrument plugs and you will see two drop down boxes.
in the first box, choose the channel in guru you want to send midi to.
in the second box, choose the output channel that you want to pass back to the external instrument device.

i hope this helps.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:27 pm

tomf wrote:i see what you're saying but i don't want to render my guru engines/clips to audio because i sometimes change things up within that clip, eg move some midi parts around, or re-do the midi clip entirely. or have a few different versions of it.
'slice to midi' is your friend. :D

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks andrewbrewer, sounds good, i'll be giving it a shot.

russ - whats the point in slicing it to midi when it was midi in the first place lol if i can just keep it as midi all the way through then it will save time and messing about.

klagga

Post by klagga » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I also have probems with multi outs. I´ve tried separate outputs from Easy drummer in Live, but find it cumbersome having to ctrl-click every drum track and to press arm arrangement every time I want to use the whole kit when mixing in Live. At least I haven´t figured out any better way to do that.