Arturia MiniMoog now requires a dongle

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JJarvis

Arturia MiniMoog now requires a dongle

Post by JJarvis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:23 pm

I just tried to download my free update for the minimoog 2.0 and I discovered that I need to buy a syncrosoft key to upgrade. I've been happy with arturia's minimoog for a while now and was only curious about the new update. All new features just take this soft synth way beyond what it was ever intended to do. Just curious if anyone else here has at least tried the new minimoog plugin.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

nbinder

Re: Arturia MiniMoog now requires a dongle

Post by nbinder » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:38 pm

I own the V-Collection and therefore always needed the dongle. I didn't know that the minimoog plugin V1 doesn't need the dongle (are you sure?!?).

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:42 pm

nbinder wrote:I own the V-Collection and therefore always needed the dongle. I didn't know that the minimoog plugin V1 doesn't need the dongle (are you sure?!?).
Yea I've had my license now for a couple of years and all I needed was the serial and startup disc to use minimoog v1. Maybe arturia started doing this later and now they are playing catch up by getting all dongleless minimoog owners like myself to update to their new product for free.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm

The new update does use Syncrosoft but you do not need a hardware dongle.

You have the option of using either the hardware dongle or the e-license on your hard disc just like with Analog Factory.

Harmonic Canon

Post by Harmonic Canon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:15 pm

nbinder wrote:I own the V-Collection and therefore always needed the dongle. I didn't know that the minimoog plugin V1 doesn't need the dongle (are you sure?!?).
i got the v collection back in oct 08 and noticed that only the prophet v & jupiter 8 required the dongle. The others would function without.

However trying to upgrade to the minimoog v2 is a problem as it requires a new license number that is retrieved by accessing your online account with Arturia and triggering your current license (this is documented in the upgrade for current users)

I've kept my original card that came with the box and hope to get this sorted with tech support although i suspect this will take a while with other requests following the upgrade

Basically i find these dongles and syncrosoft systems a pain in the butt and will avoid like the plague in future. Thankfully Ableton recognise this as well
Win XP2, QuadCore6600, 3GBRAM, Ableton 7 suite (& 8 beta), Korg Analogue & Digital Legacy Collection, Arturia V collection soft synths, Korg Kontrol49 & Axiom 61

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:30 pm

The new minimoog V2 does not require a donlge. It is switching from the CD check authorization to syncrosoft but you can use the software e-licenser as mentioned above. All Arturia products are switching over to this system, which means that with the next updates to Jupiter-8V and the Prophet-V, these will no longer require a dongle either.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Harmonic Canon

Post by Harmonic Canon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:10 pm

my main system is not connected to the internet so the e license will not be of use unless they have a system like ableton which i doubt.

I will need to get the dongle activated on my laptop and transfer over i suspect
Win XP2, QuadCore6600, 3GBRAM, Ableton 7 suite (& 8 beta), Korg Analogue & Digital Legacy Collection, Arturia V collection soft synths, Korg Kontrol49 & Axiom 61

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Harmonic Canon wrote:my main system is not connected to the internet so the e license will not be of use unless they have a system like ableton which i doubt.

I will need to get the dongle activated on my laptop and transfer over i suspect
It makes no difference. You need to get the sycrosoft license somehow. If your computer is not connected then obviously you need to get to a computer with an internet connection and download your key. This is how almost all software works anyways. Then, you can just either store it on your computer or on a usb key. Up to you. You don't need a connection after that.
Professional Shark Jumper.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:02 pm

All new features just take this soft synth way beyond what it was ever intended to do
Really!?.....is it possible to brew a cup of coffee too? 8O

had too......:mrgreen:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sat May 02, 2009 11:37 am

Does anybody know where I find my serial? I looked inside the box (V Collection owner), in the plugin as well as in the licence control center, but couldn't find it.

Any ideas? Did I get something like a card with serial numbers on it? If so, I'll have to search again. Too bad I can't remember :(

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat May 02, 2009 3:05 pm

and yes, the new features are worth it, imho.
..... . . . . . . . . .

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 02, 2009 3:13 pm

The new minimoog requires SYNCHOSOFT licensing, but it does not necessarily require a dongle - you can use the E-LICENSER. OR the dongle.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sroom3000

Post by sroom3000 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:15 pm

I will never understand why anyone would use software requiring a dongle. Dongles have got to be the worst idea, ever. Any software company that thinks their product is so important that I would be willing to sacrifice one of my two USB ports (newer Macbook) to use it, is on crack. There are sooooooo many softsynths that don't require a dongle, why would you ever buy one that does. so stupid. dongles = 1997

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 02, 2009 3:16 pm

If you registered your product with Arturia online, they will be able to send you the activation codes you need.

They are pretty good, they helped me twice to get reactivation codes with breaking dongles needing license transfer to a new USB key.

Dongles are not so bad. I prefer not to have to use them but if the software is worth it to you, you will live with it. I've been using Cubase for 10 years with a dongle, Waves requires a dongle, Sonnox plugins, Protools etc, etc. There are alternatives, but some products are worth it. The minimoog is definately worth it, the new version (I demo-ed it) is definately AWESOME. I like G-Force's Minimonsta too, but not as much.

The worst thing about the dongle is if you lose it or it is stolen, then you are ferked. Broken/damaged ones are not an issue, get a new key and everyone will give you activation codes. The best thing - you can have the software installed in multiple computers, and just move the dongle around to the machine you're using. Handy if you are working out of more than one location or have lots of different computers.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Sun May 03, 2009 1:27 am

Sorry about the dongle scare folks. I just successfully updated to the new version using the digital syncrosoft license system. I have to say that the new vocal filter is incredible. I was a little worried that this update would be an even heavier cpu eater but that wasn't the case. I don't really see the point in the sound map though, but I congratulate Arturia for being innovative. Also, its pretty incredible when Arturia provides a free significant update to their users. I will remember that when I'm soft synth shopping in the future. :D