Clipping when looping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jay Glow

Clipping when looping

Post by Jay Glow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am

I'm trying to make a track, but I'm having an issue when I'm lopping in arrangement view. Some midi clips are clipping badly when the loop gets back to the start, unless the clip is armed. It seems to only happen for certain vst's, such as Massive.

It seems that maybe the clip is carrying forward the sound from the end of the loop, and then building the new sound on top of it, unless the clip is armed and then this doesn't happen.

Sorry, this probably isn't very clear, I don't know how to explain it more obviously at the moment. I have searched but the keywords "clipping" and "loop" are so abundant I can't find what I want. This is probably a basic question I know but I'm new to production.

Jay Glow

Re: Clipping when looping

Post by Jay Glow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:14 pm

bump

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Ive had sorta the same issues before with Massive as well as FM8...It has to be a Native Instrument thing, because I never really had the problem with anything else...Have you had any issues with any other VST's or instruments?

Jay Glow

Post by Jay Glow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 pm

squelcht wrote:Ive had sorta the same issues before with Massive as well as FM8...It has to be a Native Instrument thing, because I never really had the problem with anything else...Have you had any issues with any other VST's or instruments?
Come to think of it, no.

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 am

I've had the same problems with Massive. Do the midi notes in your clip go all the way to or past the loop bracket? Try ending the last note a little earlier; it has worked for me in the past. It seems like the synth isn't getting the note off if it is right at the end of the loop, and just continues playing the last note, plus looping and playing the new notes.

J

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 am

I'm having that problem with audio. I wanted to make a 1 bar drum loop out of just the first 2 beats of a drum loop. So I brought it into the arrangement and shortened the original loop to half a bar, and then copy and pasted it to itself. I used the new crossfade function to make sure there was no pops or clicks. I then consolidated the two clips to make one new clip, and thats where the problems start. The new audio clip will pop and click occasionally for no reason at all.

I am using a q6600 clocked at 3 ghz, and a Yamaha Motif Es with Mlan as my audio card.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-