WHY MAC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john doe by choice

Re: WHY MAC

Post by john doe by choice » Sun May 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Daim wrote:there's no real difference. everybody who tells you sth else is a blind fanboy.

they look better but have more defects than "normal" pcs.. that's it.

http://www.appledefects.com
I would have to disagree there - more defects? Only from personal experience (which is all anyone, here or anywhere else, can ever speak speak with 100% surety about), I can say that after having owned both Macs and PC's, and having gone through the steps to optimize each of my PC's for audio, that I have had way less problems with Macs, and should the problems be manufacturer-based and happen in the first year, they are always dealt with by Apple, fairly and at no charge - that's a warranty that I've never seen included with a PC product ever, unless you are paying for it, making your PC price comparable to Apple prices in many cases.

Also, that Appledefects.com site isn't accurate to date - neither that site nor the appledefects wiki have been updated in almost two years (latest article was posted July 12th, 2007 on Appledefects, and the wiki only has the original MacBook Pro on it, not the later versions, of which there have been a couple, at least).

The fact is that if you have a clue as to how to use computers, find what is comfortable for you and causes the least amount of extra work for bullshit reasons - if that turns out to be a Mac, great, if it's a PC, great, whatever. Anything aside from direct repair statistics from both Apple and all PC manufacturers in the context of comparing the two against each other is a bunch of fanboy bullshit.

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

My personal experience:

macbook pro 2 years ago: 4 replacements (random mainboard beeps, not closing right, defect fans, defect display)
iphone 3g: 3 replacements, then I gave up and gave it back. (battery life not shown correctly, mic not working, loose parts inside)
mac pro 09: 2 replacements (2 defect graphic cards and always the whole system replaced, wtf)

I never have any other products replaced, and i buy a lot of techstuff.

And yes, that appledefects site is not accurate, I could add at least 3 defects to each product.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm

I had a MacBook Pro replaced this year because of bad chassis on my last one which kept scratching my screen - Apple replaced it for no charge with the latest MacBook Pro. I don't think they're perfect, but I've heard just as much about PC defects and issues as I've heard about Mac defects. I have also just had a Palm Centro replaced due to manufacturer defect (one of the keys that I don't use much stopped working).

Other than that, I've had no problems with a G4, PowerBook (which lasted three years), and 2 MacPros.

So does my experience nullify your experience? No.

Does your experience nullify my experience? No.

Will there always be competing views on OS Platforms and software? Yes.

Will there always be competing views on computer hardware? Yes.

Does any of it matter? No.

Again, someone should buy what they feel comfy with, not what some guy on the internet says they should buy. Pick a OS/computer that you like, check it out at the store, read the warranty info if you can, then make an educated choice as to what you prefer, that's it, end of story.

Besides, as I stated on the first page, there are tons of threads about this in this forum, none of them go anywhere, and none of them add up to any more than fanboys giving, at best, a personal opinion, which may or may not apply to the person reading it.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon May 18, 2009 12:23 am

Kodama wrote:Your brain is your only interface to the world, so aesthetic preferences can reflect a change in productivity.
Good thing to keep in mind, & applicable when making many decisions.