Harmonic mixing chart tailored for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
MrH

Harmonic mixing chart tailored for Live

Post by MrH » Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm

I have developed a harmonic mixing chart specifically for Live. It's based on the Camelot System, but uses colours from Live's default colour palette.

I hope some of you may find it useful.

Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Tone Deft

Re: Harmonic mixing chart tailored for Live

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm

you developed that?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 pm

What happens when you are color blind? 8)

MrH

Post by MrH » Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 am

'Developed' as in - tailored the colours for Live. Nothing more. I'm not trying to claim I created harmonic mixing or have designed the chart from scratch. I haven't. That is way beyond me. If you want to see more about harmonic mixing then go to www.harmonic-mixing.com

Just thought it'd make sense to turn the chart into the same colours that Live uses. It's something I did to make it easier for me when DJing and thought I'd share it with everyone here.

After looking at it on another screen which isn't my crappy work screen - I shall be making a few tweaks.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Wed May 20, 2009 11:58 am

im colour blind (with synistesia) and been trying to make my colours work for me.

im defo gonna use this. nice one mate.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Wed May 20, 2009 12:00 pm

the only problem is that the wheel has the benifit of ajacent blocks where the ableton clour chart can work like that. is it possible to have an arrow system.

Kealanm1

Post by Kealanm1 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 am

I have a question I hope someone will be able to ans for me. I understand the theory of whats being described here as I play classical guitar. However, from my understading (which could be wrong) the system here is that the colour assigned in ableton for a track or clip is representative of the key it is in. But if i load the same clip or track into ableton several times it will change colour and be assigned colours which are often not listed as musical notes in the grid. Will this only work for midi clips ? or have I missed something here?

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 am

Kealanm1 wrote:I have a question I hope someone will be able to ans for me. I understand the theory of whats being described here as I play classical guitar. However, from my understading (which could be wrong) the system here is that the colour assigned in ableton for a track or clip is representative of the key it is in. But if i load the same clip or track into ableton several times it will change colour and be assigned colours which are often not listed as musical notes in the grid. Will this only work for midi clips ? or have I missed something here?
you have to manually tell live what colour should be used. live can then save a clip default.

Kealanm1

Post by Kealanm1 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks a mill, felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall last night knew I has misunderstood something there!

MrH

Post by MrH » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Yep. It's a chart originally created by www.harmonic-mixing.com and is called the 'Camelot System'. Go on to the site and read about it. It's really aimed at DJs to enable them to mix songs which work together.

They have a chart on their site and also some great software which will tell you what the BPM and key of your songs are. You can then use the chart to choose which song you will play next - ensuring that the songs will mix well.

I'm not sure if it's a helpful tool for playing music in general. But, doing some mixing myself, I initially thought that it would be great to customise the colours to fit with live. That way I can assign the relevant colour to each clip - giving me a quick visual reference to which clips to choose next.

I have tweaked it a bit as everyone's screen shows colours slightly differently. If you feel that some colours work better for you - then tweak it to your liking.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 21, 2009 3:15 pm

I missed the meaning of 'tailored' in your thread title.

I've had Mixed In Key for a while and have always hated the Camelot system. I'd much much rather use traditional musical keys. Camelot or traditional, you still have to learn something new. why not learn something musical that can advance your general musical talent (for lack of a better word) rather than learn something new that's only applicable to Mixed In Key?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

MrH

Post by MrH » Thu May 21, 2009 7:53 pm

To Tone Deft,

Not a problem. I'm still fairly new to all this. I thought the Camelot System was pretty good, but then - as I say - I'm still in learning mode so it may be a bit crap to someone with more experience. I find it useful for mixing, but perhaps I won't whenit comes to writing my own music.

Chances are I'll produce something similar to help me out with those times when I write something from scratch.

I'm actually a designer by trade, so I naturally turn things into something which visually makes things easy - hence the chart. If you have any tips as to something else I should be looking to amend to help Live users - let me know.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

MrH

Post by MrH » Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh and one more thing. I don't see this as learning something new. It's merely a way to use colour to reference musical notes. It works for me as I naturally see what colours go together. I'm not saying it works for everyone.

Just thought I'd share it in case others find it useful.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 21, 2009 8:43 pm

don't get me wrong, it's useful no doubt and plenty of people relate to colors naturally. it was just a question that I've been meaning to ask for years.

personally I lean towards the music theory way of looking at music. a LOT of people would rather just color code their tracks in session view and DJ away.

harmonic mixing made my lame ass mashup/DJ playsets sound VASTLY better. plus it clued me into when to pitch tracks up or down a step.

it's a good contribution, no doubt. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 pm

i think the number letter thing is really dumb but whatever. some dude invented it and its stuck so i guess its alright. the guy who invented claims he didnt know the circle of 5ths when he made it. somehow its patented or something, even though its just circle of 5ths with a different name. i dont get it. :?: