APC40 First thoughts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
channelite

Re: APC40 First thoughts

Post by channelite » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:18 pm

I agree that the bank select is in a weird place. Also, I think the bank select should have been soft buttons like the grid matrix. I don't like the cross fader, I think a pitch bend wheel on a keyboard is a better solution because it will snap back to center. I have found all my old mappings that are in my songs have to be deleted because they sometimes conflict with the APC controls. Not a big deal just delete them and do a save as.

I love the track selection and detail view buttons and of course the grid. The build is really strong. Not cheap.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:57 pm

About the pans, I figure thats a good bank to remap to some Master controls. You still get full use of the sends if you remap the pans from what I've heard.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 pm

theque wrote:i do really understand what you are saying, but that all seems too complicated for me plus the mystery amount of extra cash and time spent trying to understand all the max stuff, i like the clip matrix but i think the rest is not for me.

I'm not ready to spare money for both apc40 AND max4live.
Happy enough to upgrade from 7lite very soon!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you didn't mind losing the send/pan knobs, you could easily map those to EQ on two different tracks, while still retaining the macro knob control of the lower 8 knobs. I think that's likely a fair compromise, as how many DJs use sends or pan when playing live compared to EQ?
Yeah, you can just reassign them with midi mapping!

So now you say with a simple Ableton MIDI Mapping I can change the record enable buttons to the Repeat Button of the Beat Repeat Fx for each of my eight tracks. Can I do that?

Yes.

Can I assign the Cue Knob to the Grid knob of the Beat Repeat?

Yes.

Can I re assign the Mute buttons to switch the A/B of the crossfader?

Yes.

Which Other Buttons Can I re-assign?

[edit] All of them.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm

i've got a weird problem where my apc transposes whatever settings are currently on the device control section (bottom set of knobs). whenever you switch channels, wherever those knobs are at, it will set the controls of the device on the new channel to those settings. (when you move the knob that is). still haven't contacted ableton about this, but it can get annoying....