Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 am

cwnc wrote:
Inaccurate? Tell me what's inaccurate.
The full version of FL Studio only costs $10 more than this - and they offer free upgrades for life!
that's inaccurate.

They do not get free upgrades for life.
They get free UPDATES, exactly the same as we do. EG: how much did the update from 7.01 to 7.14 cost you?

That's exactly what they mean when they say "free updates".
You still have to pay to upgrade full versions, also the same as we do.

on the other subjects you are just wrong. Groove is a lot easier than you make out, I use it every day and it's damn easy. it's just two clicks to pick a groove the first time , and only one from then on. How is that hard?
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 am

Angstrom wrote:how much did the update from 7.01 to 7.14 cost you? That's exactly what they mean when they say "free updates". You still have to pay to upgrade full versions.
Cost me an arm and a leg.

sschall

Post by sschall » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:52 am

Angstrom wrote: They do not get free upgrades for life.
They get free UPDATES, exactly the same as we do. EG: how much did the update from 7.01 to 7.14 cost you?

Looking at dom's post I would assume that he is not too familiar with all this paying for software stuff ...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

good...cuz I get the feeling he wouldn't have liked it...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:01 pm

sschall wrote:
Angstrom wrote: They do not get free upgrades for life.

Looking at dom's post I would assume that he is not too familiar with all this paying for software stuff ...
:lol: :lol:

Mike noiz

Post by Mike noiz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

i have to say this whole thread is great:) cwnc! your talking a load of old tosh, in my amatuer opinion only mind you! but the one thing you do have right is that fL studio ( as it now prefers to be called) users do get lifetime free updates as i own it from version 5 and have got free updates and upgrades to the current version 8. And while on the subject of fruityloops, i used for many years and found it great but since getting ableton i find it to be harder to use to put together full tracks with. abletons workflow seems better for this altho it is very quick and easy for putting together beats!

just my 2c

master swing

Post by master swing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Mike noiz wrote:i have to say this whole thread is great:) cwnc! your talking a load of old tosh, in my amatuer opinion only mind you! but the one thing you do have right is that fL studio ( as it now prefers to be called) users do get lifetime free updates as i own it from version 5 and have got free updates and upgrades to the current version 8. And while on the subject of fruityloops, i used for many years and found it great but since getting ableton i find it to be harder to use to put together full tracks with. abletons workflow seems better for this altho it is very quick and easy for putting together beats!

just my 2c
Yep, fruity loops may not be as good in the workflow, but its a nice environment as well, and allows more modularity in itself than live, as far as I can tell. And the buy once, upgrade for life is great.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Mike noiz wrote: the one thing you do have right is that fL studio ( as it now prefers to be called) users do get lifetime free updates as i own it from version 5 and have got free updates and upgrades to the current version 8.
ah, I got it wrong. oops!
I could have sworn this was stated differently on their site, but checking their page now it is now pretty clear on this.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 pm

cwnc wrote: If Traktor or Serato fit my needs, I would use them. They don't. They suck. Narrow-minded software made by narrow-minded people.
Is this supposed to be ironic? Developing timecoded vinyl to control digital music was narrow minded? Are you serious? No, narrow mindedness is not seeing the value in something that you don't personally want to use.

Here's another example:
Live’s main advertised addition/upgrade to Live 8, the groove pool, has few practical uses in modern music production.
I think you'll find a hell of a lot of amateur and professional producers would disagree with that comment. If you don't believe me, look up Groove Templates in the old feature wish list threads. Or ask Logic and Cubase users what they think of their groove tools. Just because you don't want to use the Groove pool, doesn't make the feature worthless.
dom wrote:
Interesting discussion overall...
I hope it does not sound too sarcastic, but i'm really curious:

As you don't own any ableton products yet at all, what exactly is your motivation behind your abletoniseasy blog and esp. the upgrade pricing discussion instead of the initial pricing?

Cheers,
Dom
To be fair, Dom, I bought Live 4 and joined the forum shortly after. However I never bothered registering the software until I decided to upgrade to Live 6. Obviously the software was authorised, but my forum name wasn't linked to an account. At least as far as I remember.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm torn between
poodleface wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53CbTMd3Kc

All arguments are solved by keyboard cat.

Edited with Live 8 :D
And
dom wrote:
cwnc wrote:I'm sure I'll be extremely popular for this, but I wrote it so here it is.

http://abletoniseasy.com/?p=35

Don't get me wrong, I love Ableton, but I have to call it like I see it.
Interesting discussion overall...
I hope it does not sound too sarcastic, but i'm really curious:

As you don't own any ableton products yet at all, what exactly is your motivation behind your abletoniseasy blog and esp. the upgrade pricing discussion instead of the initial pricing?

Cheers,
Dom
For the highlight of this thread. Any solid points(photoshop preset comparision-but this point is true for all audio tech preset collections i come across) this guy was making were ruined by the tone of his blog and I'm waiting for his "my best mate bought me Live with all his details" response to Dom :lol: Everyone here (my gaff) is laughing at keyboard cat.
Last edited by ikeaboy on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm

what the fuck is a “transient”
are you kidding me lol

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
what the fuck is a “transient”
are you kidding me lol
!!!

go on...let it all out...

Keyboard cat for the win!
poodleface wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53CbTMd3Kc

All arguments are solved by keyboard cat.

Edited with Live 8 :D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm

If like me, you were a ReCycle user from the first version, dumping to hardware samplers manually adjusting start and end points to get rid of the clicks (the sensitivity slider will throw in hundreds of markers NOT make it better) and not using it anymore since Ableton Live came along you will know why this one is my favourite :D :D :D :D :D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:23 pm

that bit about 'no transients' was pretty idiotic
In Live 7’s warping system, if Live didn’t “figure out” a section, you can just add warp points where they’re needed. Not so with Live 8.
double click on the top bar (marker area) and it adds a warp marker there.
this guy didn't actually try any of this did he?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:26 pm

djsynchro wrote:
If like me, you were a ReCycle user from the first version, dumping to hardware samplers manually adjusting start and end points to get rid of the clicks (the sensitivity slider will throw in hundreds of markers NOT make it better) and not using it anymore since Ableton Live came along you will know why this one is my favourite :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah, things have really changed since Science Friction, haven't they? :wink: