the os x tips thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Re: the os x tips thread

Post by forge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 am

muthafunka wrote: Slightly OT, but who misses the pre-Leopard window audio preview functionality? Yes you can click the little arrow but can no longer scroll through a file, and if you use the space bar to quick-preview the file with scrolling you're locked to that, as soon as you try and click somewhere else the preview disappears. Dealing with lot sof audio files this is one the biggest FAILS for me with Leopard.
+1 - real shame

apparently they are fixing it with 10.6...doesn't help us though

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 am

forge wrote:
muthafunka wrote: Slightly OT, but who misses the pre-Leopard window audio preview functionality? Yes you can click the little arrow but can no longer scroll through a file, and if you use the space bar to quick-preview the file with scrolling you're locked to that, as soon as you try and click somewhere else the preview disappears. Dealing with lot sof audio files this is one the biggest FAILS for me with Leopard.
+1 - real shame

but you can up, down left and right (via keyboard) through the file lists with the quick-preview still open.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 am

re.mark wrote:
forge wrote:
+1 - real shame

but you can up, down left and right (via keyboard) through the file lists with the quick-preview still open.
yeah but you can't do anything else or it stops playback

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

ahh ohright, i missed the point lol sorry

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeah, I REALLY liked the old way of doing it too.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I REALLY liked the old way of doing it too.
Apple took a number of features of Tiger & made them worse in Leopard:

Spotlight is less intuitive & less organized (when using the full window)

iCal is about 3 times more difficult to edit (multiple stages added to the process)

Finder windows can no longer close the sidecar with a simple double click (you can do it a different way, but it also closes the menu bar).

The horrible look of the dock with it's idiotic reflections (thankifully there is a Terminal fix to make it flat again)

The Dock icons all looking the same now with only minor variations (much harder to discern what is what)

The preview issues already mentioned.

All in all, some really odd "features"...

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm

So I filled my hd and wanted to clear some space. I used mac janitor to clear up almost 10 gigs. then I went through and trashed all the vsts I never used and cleared up some more space. But when I open lives browsers I can still pull these vsts up and play them...How do I get rid of them? and any other tips?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:00 pm

ThrowAway wrote:So I filled my hd and wanted to clear some space. I used mac janitor to clear up almost 10 gigs. then I went through and trashed all the vsts I never used and cleared up some more space. But when I open lives browsers I can still pull these vsts up and play them...How do I get rid of them? and any other tips?
To find AUs:

Root->Library->Audio->Plug-ins->Components

To find VSTs:

Root->Library->Audio->Plug-ins->VST
Unsound Designer

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:15 pm

If i have a program in both folders can I delete one or will that fuck it up?

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Something just doesnt seem right...I dont have that much more on my computer than when I bought it, seems like I should have a lot more space.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

ThrowAway wrote:If i have a program in both folders can I delete one or will that fuck it up?
I've heard tell in the past that some AUs like to have the VST version installed as well. Could be old wives' tales, I dunno.

Also I forgot that plug-ins can be installed to user libraries as well. Just follow the same path from your user folder.
Unsound Designer

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Thank you stringtapper. There seems to be around 80 gigs unaccounted for and I cant figure it out.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:35 pm

FWIW...
I used Monolingual to get rid of unused languages and architectures the other day and recouped about 4 gigs. Just be careful not to remove anything you actually 'need'.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:06 pm

try Disk Inventory X (http://www.derlien.com/) for finding out what's what and where on your hard drive...

although it's not a bad idea to clean out plug-ins that you don't need, you'll find that most of the them don't take up much actual drive space...

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Ill try out that program thank you. I need to find whats eating up so much space