The Wall

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

The Wall

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:20 am

where we began?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNM7j_ppHI

isn't this...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: The Wall

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 am

...one of my favorites movies EVER...
and in good quality too..thanks
but isn't this..
I mean... how is it...
Image

fuzzyhead
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Froggystan

Re: The Wall

Post by fuzzyhead » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:16 pm

3dot... wrote:...one of my favorites movies EVER...
+1 :arrow: must see cult movie

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: The Wall

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm

two copies of the Comfortably Numb solo played at the same time, offset by 15 seconds. Gilmour's phrasing is amazing.

http://www.techdo.com/download/Conforta ... 5-secs.mp3
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: The Wall

Post by ethios4 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 am

^ :D Nice!

The Wall is definitely in my top 5 ever...incredible!

This analysis is a fun read....
http://www.thewallanalysis.com/

Spikee
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: The Wall

Post by Spikee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 am

The Wall was the 3rd album I owned, the first was Michael Jackson's Thriller when I was 6 and Def Leppard's Hysteria when I was 10. I discovered The Wall while me and my best friend at the time were flipping through his older brother's record collection. The cover art drew me in and the music was astounding -- I was 11 at the time and simply had heard nothing that was so beautiful, morose, soothing and tumultuous all at once. I remember thinking to myself that this was the first time I'd ever heard an artist sing about something that wasn't superficial but rather, something real and imperfect like the human condition tends to be, and it made me realize that there was definitely a difference between most of the music out there, and the music that I enjoyed. Of course, little did I know that Pink Floyd was one of the most popular bands ever and that The Wall was one of the best-selling records of all time, but even then I suppose that just illuminates exactly how perfect they got that record, to where so many people could buy it and love it.

Pink Floyd encouraged me to explore music. It was because of Richard Wright that I fell in love in electronica, because of Gilmour that I learned to understand what made a musician great, and because of Waters that I would admire in general music that wore its emotions on its sleeves more so than silly, whimsical party record (though I do love many that would fit into that category). And even though I rarely listen to Pink Floyd these days I'm grateful to them, they pretty much shaped me as a musician, and a patron of the arts.

evolwizard
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 am
Location: Springfield, Ohio

Re: The Wall

Post by evolwizard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:34 am

Back in the day, I lived in rural Ohio on a state route, pretty much out in the country but on the main road. I had a small get together one night, about 10 friends, and we took a rather large television outside (36" or so), in the side yard, ran an extension cord, hooked up the vcr threw in The Wall on vhs..laid blankets down and watched it under the stars, had an amazing time, oh yeah, did I mention LSD... :D
ahhh...those were THE days..
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

evolwizard
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 am
Location: Springfield, Ohio

Re: The Wall

Post by evolwizard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:01 am

did I mention LSD

No, I did not.
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

silveriofunk
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:34 am
Location: London

Re: The Wall

Post by silveriofunk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:20 am

great album and very cool movie

dave999z
Posts: 489
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:16 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: The Wall

Post by dave999z » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Spikee wrote:The Wall was the 3rd album I owned, the first was Michael Jackson's Thriller when I was 6 and Def Leppard's Hysteria when I was 10. I discovered The Wall while me and my best friend at the time were flipping through his older brother's record collection. The cover art drew me in and the music was astounding -- I was 11 at the time and simply had heard nothing that was so beautiful, morose, soothing and tumultuous all at once. I remember thinking to myself that this was the first time I'd ever heard an artist sing about something that wasn't superficial but rather, something real and imperfect like the human condition tends to be, and it made me realize that there was definitely a difference between most of the music out there, and the music that I enjoyed. Of course, little did I know that Pink Floyd was one of the most popular bands ever and that The Wall was one of the best-selling records of all time, but even then I suppose that just illuminates exactly how perfect they got that record, to where so many people could buy it and love it.
Are you saying that Pour Some Sugar On Me is superficial?

Spikee
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: The Wall

Post by Spikee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:05 pm

dave999z wrote:
Spikee wrote:The Wall was the 3rd album I owned, the first was Michael Jackson's Thriller when I was 6 and Def Leppard's Hysteria when I was 10. I discovered The Wall while me and my best friend at the time were flipping through his older brother's record collection. The cover art drew me in and the music was astounding -- I was 11 at the time and simply had heard nothing that was so beautiful, morose, soothing and tumultuous all at once. I remember thinking to myself that this was the first time I'd ever heard an artist sing about something that wasn't superficial but rather, something real and imperfect like the human condition tends to be, and it made me realize that there was definitely a difference between most of the music out there, and the music that I enjoyed. Of course, little did I know that Pink Floyd was one of the most popular bands ever and that The Wall was one of the best-selling records of all time, but even then I suppose that just illuminates exactly how perfect they got that record, to where so many people could buy it and love it.
Are you saying that Pour Some Sugar On Me is superficial?
Nope, that song is as real and intense as it gets.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11131
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Wall

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Tone Deft wrote:where we began?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNM7j_ppHI

isn't this...
Pink Floyd is definitely the only super group that I love almost every thing they did.
Animals is my #1, but the Wall is close. Goodbye Blue Skies is short and still one of my all time favorite songs, along with Conformably Numb>

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: The Wall

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 am

agreed. Animals is teh awesome. I still remember where I was when I first heard the guitar solo to Dogs, it was a religious experience.

I'm just stoked that The Wall is on youtube in its entirety in hi-Q.


not as cool or in Hi-Quality, Tommy the Who Concert is in there in its entirety.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfZQLXs72Lo
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: The Wall

Post by ethios4 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 am

I just noticed recently that on Dogs they ran the sound of dogs barking through a vocoder. Brilliant!

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: The Wall

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 am

allinall
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Post Reply