Korg nanoKONTROL

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jnguyen619

Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by jnguyen619 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Hey guys, I just picked up the Korg nanoKONTROL last night...I got it working easily with a few tricks down already. I'm at work, but all i can think about is the different shit i can try with it when i get home. What kind of tricks can you guys think of that'll make me "ohhhhhhh, fuck!"? thanks.

outershpongolia

Re: Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Check out nativeKONTROL, this dude developed a way to control so many more things with the nanoKONTROL, it allows a different way of using banks, and all this stuff he fit onto one scene, so you can use the other 3 however you want.

other than that I hate the way it doesn't remember what's happening on other scenes. like you turn a track on with the button and then switch scenes and come back to it and your track is still armed but the light is off.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

outershpongolia wrote:other than that I hate the way it doesn't remember what's happening on other scenes. like you turn a track on with the button and then switch scenes and come back to it and your track is still armed but the light is off.
Yup, I hate that too. It seems like something Korg could fix with a firmware upgrade.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Ya that would be awesome.. I'm pretty sure it's because the nano doesn't RECEIVE midi so it doesn't react to things happening within Live it just sends its own messages and does nothing else.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

outershpongolia wrote:Ya that would be awesome.. I'm pretty sure it's because the nano doesn't RECEIVE midi so it doesn't react to things happening within Live it just sends its own messages and does nothing else.
Yes, it can't update the lights according to what Live is displaying on your monitor so if you change something in the software it won't make a change to the lights but I wish Korg would find a way to store the settings of each bank in the machine itself so that when you went back to a bank you used previously it would remember it's settings.

chat_fou

Post by chat_fou » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 am

yes this is a big issue for me
nanokontrol seems to not receive midi data unfortunately...
like the mpk25! :(

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:31 am

My Akai LPD8 arrived yesterday. No midi recieve on that either which is a shame though the unit feels far more robust than my mates nanopad. (which has two dead pads already)

Doesnt pick up the drum cells on Impulse either so have to use drum racks :(

(I dont like d-racks)

Also seems to be a bit random as to which d-rack cells it maps to though its easy enough to switch them over of course.

May have to wait for some geeked patches to be made for me to get best use out of it though was proper cozy powelin' it last night... :mrgreen:

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:02 pm

I've been thinking of getting the nanoPAD for a while and just saw the Akai LPD8 yesterday and now I'm thinking I'd rather have the Akai that the Korg.
Guff Tong wrote:My Akai LPD8 arrived yesterday. No midi recieve on that either which is a shame though the unit feels far more robust than my mates nanopad. (which has two dead pads already)

Doesnt pick up the drum cells on Impulse either so have to use drum racks :(

(I dont like d-racks)

Also seems to be a bit random as to which d-rack cells it maps to though its easy enough to switch them over of course.

May have to wait for some geeked patches to be made for me to get best use out of it though was proper cozy powelin' it last night... :mrgreen:

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:36 am

Sorted out the mapping for impluse...

Just had to program the LPD8 with the software provided (Dead easy to use too)

(Impulse defaults its midi CC to : C3, D3, E3 etc.. up to C4)

Works great with battery too..

Still slightly miffed that theres not midi feedback tho :(

After making beats with my keyboard this tool is a dream...

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah man, these new smaller MIDI controllers are great, but they are totally bombing it by not including MIDI feedback.. nanaKONTROL would be insane if I could change scenes and come back to where I was.. I won't complain about the knobs/faders not jumping back in place cause motorized is out of the picture but at least show me where my LED's were before I changed scenes.. JEEZ! When will they get it right?

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:50 am

The thing about the LEDs not being remembered is that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the nanoKONTROL not being able to receive MIDI. It wouldn't be difficult to have the device remember the "on/off state" of the LEDs in each scene.

You'd still have the problem with the LEDs not changing when you click on something in Live but that's a limitation I can live with because that WOULD require the nanoKONTROL to receive MIDI.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 am

Yeah, you might have been the person who said the exact same thing on another thread..

I definitely don't care about being able to click something with my mouse and have it react on the nanoKONTROL, it just needs to remember where I was at.. firmware update korg?

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Yea, hopefully a firmware update can fix it but it may be that the nanoKONTROL has no way of storing information at all other that the settings you can change using their editor.
outershpongolia wrote:Yeah, you might have been the person who said the exact same thing on another thread..

I definitely don't care about being able to click something with my mouse and have it react on the nanoKONTROL, it just needs to remember where I was at.. firmware update korg?

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I was just watching a video about the LPD8 on Youtube and the guy says that it can receive midi?
Guff Tong wrote:Sorted out the mapping for impluse...

Just had to program the LPD8 with the software provided (Dead easy to use too)

(Impulse defaults its midi CC to : C3, D3, E3 etc.. up to C4)

Works great with battery too..

Still slightly miffed that theres not midi feedback tho :(

After making beats with my keyboard this tool is a dream...

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 pm

^ which one? can you post the link pls.

ta.