Will you buy an iPad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you buy an iPad

Yes
39%
No
47%
I prefer a Maxi Pad, it has wings!
14%

Total votes: 236

apalomba

Re: Will you buy an iPad?

Post by apalomba » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 pm

I will NOT be buying an iPad!

There are a lot of Win7 multitouch tablets that will be
released this year. I will be able to run Max/Msp
and Ableton Live on them. Way more freedom!

Apple better enjoy the spot light now, cause it
won't last long.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:19 pm

yeah, right.

back in 2003 I got my first mp3 player. I was the only one I knew that had one, I used it a LOT to play music at parties and picnics and whatnot. years later I had worn through a few players, then the iPod came out. overpriced, underfeatured, locked to iTunes, no replaceable battery, yaddha yaddah, it wasn't even the best player out there, not even close. next thing you know iPod becomes the generic term for an mp3 player and nearly everyone is walking around with white iPod earbuds in. I even saw a TV show that told the history of mp3s, saying the iPod was the first mp3 player.

learn your history. ;)

you absolutely don't know that you'll be able to run max/msp on the other tablets. many of these kinds of devices would run Windows Embedded or other stripped down versions of Windows that are tweaked for small embedded systems.

I'll get one once people start showing off their Lemur-like toys, maybe in a year or two. it the iFad is the main device people are tweaking out on, that's what I'll get.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 am

Tone Deft wrote:

I'll get one once people start showing off their Lemur-like toys, maybe in a year or two. it the iFad is the main device people are tweaking out on, that's what I'll get.

So you admit you are a lemming? Nice.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 am

apalomba wrote: I will be able to run Max/Msp
and Ableton Live on them.

Links?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dmcm

Post by dmcm » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, right.

back in 2003 I got my first mp3 player. I was the only one I knew that had one, I used it a LOT to play music at parties and picnics and whatnot. years later I had worn through a few players, then the iPod came out.
The first iPod was released in October of 2001... wasn't the first mp3 player, though, that I'll grant you.

Edit: "Learn your history ;)"

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:19 am

I'll buy one for the ability to read books on it and watch pretty videos. $499 is a good (not great like Jobs would like you to oh and ah over) price point.

I still prefer physical knobs and faders to anything. Always liked the Lemur but at $1499 never even considered it.

Curious to see what apps are created for it but ultimately I want one for the books/magazines/RSS feeds. The wi-fi version will do just fine.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 am

dmcm wrote:

back in 2003 I got my first mp3 player. I was the only one I knew that had one, I used it a LOT to play music at parties and picnics and whatnot. years later I had worn through a few players, then the iPod came out.
The first iPod was released in October of 2001... wasn't the first mp3 player, though, that I'll grant you.

:lol: shit, thanks for checking that, I'll stop telling that story. that's how I remember it damnit!! the iPod hit the scene and redefined the mp3 playing field. FWIW I was thinking of the wrong mp3 player, my first one was a Nomad Jukebox, released around 2000, I think, but your point stands.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dmcm

Post by dmcm » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 am

Tone Deft wrote:
dmcm wrote:

:lol: shit, thanks for checking that, I'll stop telling that story. that's how I remember it damnit!! the iPod hit the scene and redefined the mp3 playing field. FWIW I was thinking of the wrong mp3 player, my first one was a Nomad Jukebox, released around 2000, I think, but your point stands.
I find it hard to keep track of the past 10 years, too! Apple never really pioneer anything brand new. They take a technology that already exists, build on it, and make it better. The iPod was a great example of this. I'd tried a few of the early MP3 players and hated their poorly designed interfaces. Enter the iPod and I've used one ever since.

iPad is taking a lot of shit because it hasn't reinvented the world. Apparently it's cool to rag on it. Give it 2 years, 2 hardware revisions and see where it's at. For me, it's an opportunity to read comic books digitally, comfortably browse the web whilst taking a shit, and I get my hands on a lemur... well, TouchOSC. For $499, I'm in.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Links?
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... s_stays_up
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

apalomba

Post by apalomba » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:41 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Links?
HP Slate
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 am

apalomba wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

Links?
HP Slate
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/

meh.

It says it will run Windows. So what? WHAT version? Probably a slate version, lol. Doubtful it's going to have the power of a laptop, let alone run Live.

Seeing that it's about 10x the thickness of the iPad, then who knows? Maybe there's a fan in there and you've got the processing power to do anything.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Links?
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

freqn

Post by freqn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:45 am

No. No Flash support

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 am

I think the exposed screen will be very vulnerable to scratching, some sort of hinged screen cover would be better, you could then incorporate a proper keyboard, Apple might really have something then.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

B-S

Post by B-S » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:49 am

No. It's Apple.