Will you buy an iPad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you buy an iPad

Yes
39%
No
47%
I prefer a Maxi Pad, it has wings!
14%

Total votes: 236

Rabalder

Re: Will you buy an iPad?

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 am

8 things that suck about the ipad..

http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-tha ... e=true&s=i

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:24 am

Useless it may be but it will be ok for posing down at starbucks along with your macbook and fucking Eigenharp
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am

:lol:

This shit gets funnier each day. Today we have the Kathy Griffin's of commentators.

I love the argument of "look at that huge bezel". If you think that is huge, wait till you see my thumbs :D
Nah, I'd rather have a 2mm edge for my bigass thumbs to grip..

That gizmodo article cracked my up. They open with the con of the bezel being too big under this picture:

Being a master at making an idiot out of myself, I can only bow down to some of the gems being posted around the web.
I probably wont even get this thing, but it already does what it promised. It entertains :wink:

hossegor

Post by hossegor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:08 am

if Live would run on it i would get one hehe :)

or and that would really rock, a Lemur style controller software for the Ipad, so i could control live during a gig...woho...

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm

How about this one?

...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

B-S wrote:No. It's Apple.
How low can you go...You are clearly a dickhead. (full stop) !
BTW; voted "no"
iMac i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz 32GB RAM • OS X.10 • Apogee Duet • NI Kontrol S49 • Maschine Mikro MKII • Cubase 8.5 • Live 9.6 Suite • Logic Pro X • Reason 9 • WaveLab Elements 9 • Various VST's, AU's and hardware synths, etc;

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:04 pm

All it's going to take to change the "no" people to a "yes" is when there's a video of a live performance of some nonsensical Bjork song featuring it. The few stragglers left will be pushed over the purchasing cliff with an updated look at Daft Punk's tool shed.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:05 pm

33% voting that they WILL buy an iPad is still pretty high.

Give it a couple of months until the YouTube videos come in with people doing crazy Lemur style shit, and there will be further frenzy here.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 pm

beats me wrote:All it's going to take to change the "no" people to a "yes" is when there's a video of a live performance of some nonsensical Bjork song featuring it. The few stragglers left will be pushed over the purchasing cliff with an updated look at Daft Punk's tool shed.
Beats Me, you just beat me to it by a couple of seconds! - Similar point really.

derzai

Post by derzai » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm

No, apple sucks.

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me, you don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes, we are all different!

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:28 pm

condra wrote:33% voting that they WILL buy an iPad is still pretty high.

Give it a couple of months until the YouTube videos come in with people doing crazy Lemur style shit, and there will be further frenzy here.

Quite a few want a maxi pad too , i can't wait to see the youtube videos :lol:

B-S

Post by B-S » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm

atlatnesiti wrote:
B-S wrote:No. It's Apple.
How low can you go...You are clearly a dickhead. (full stop) !
BTW; voted "no"
whats so dickhead on saying Apple sucks????

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm actually starting to change my mind, the more I think about it the more I can see how this could replace my laptop. Really going to depend on the apps that come out for it though...

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:I'm actually starting to change my mind, the more I think about it the more I can see how this could replace my laptop. Really going to depend on the apps that come out for it though...
I'll be getting one regardless because when you live within a 15 mile radius of Cupertino it's the law, but already I'm thinking about how the music apps already available for the iphone will be so much more useable in a large format.

I'm just hoping, like others, that some company will come up with a wired system that will transmit MIDI and MIDI sync. But seeing as Live's MIDI sync sucks with hardware that was built for that I don't know how excited I should be about it. :)

My only dilemma is if I should hold out for the 3G versions. It's certainly not something I need but it's also something you can't just slap on later and I may want to use it. It's also nice that you can pay for a month of use as you need it.

I know some people are holding out for a version with a camera or whatever else they might want but the way I buy Apple products I don't think I'll feel shafted if/when they release that version. Just add it to the collection and honestly I rarely use camera stuff on my iphone or computer anyway.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Tarekith wrote:I'm actually starting to change my mind, the more I think about it the more I can see how this could replace my laptop. Really going to depend on the apps that come out for it though...
I still have no idea whether it will be a success, but it's an easy win for anyone looking for a cheap touchscreen MIDI/OSC controller.

One of the things preventing me from using TouchOSC + my phone for more when it comes to controlling Ableton is the fact that there's just not enough screen real estate to fit many controls on a given page.

With a pad-sized version of the app, I'm pretty sure I could get on everything I want, thus replacing my current 2 controllers.

I'm kind of torn between saving my pennies for this, or for a Maschine (which will be far more useful for production purposes).

And if it's nice for casual web browsing and twitter on my couch... That's okay too!