Pen/graphic tablets & Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rx

Pen/graphic tablets & Live

Post by Rx » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:47 pm

Who's used one with Live?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 pm

I have been using a graphics tablet with all my audio applications for several years, and it works like a charm. It's quicker than a mouse once you've gotten used to the tablet, or at least I'm quicker with a tablet than with a mouse.
I'm using a Wacom Intuos II on a Mac under OS 9.2.2

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:47 pm

Pretty cool - what size tablet are you using? Is it worth the extra money to go for the 6x8 over the 4x5?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:27 pm

i've tried it recently and i must say it sucked for me. i'm using a USB-powered Wacom graphire tablet and for some reason when Live gets a few tracks going and the CPU hits about 50% the tablet loses all control and the mouse stutters all over the screen and moves very slow. same with the pen. so i gave up on that right away. i'm using a G4 PowerBook and OSX.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:08 am

Rx wrote:Pretty cool - what size tablet are you using? Is it worth the extra money to go for the 6x8 over the 4x5?
I would say so, I have the 6x8, and it's a pretty decent size, very comfortable to work with when drawing in automation curves in Logic and Reason.
I would recommend the higher resolution Intuos over the Graphire tablets, the resolution's much better.

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:22 am

I just saw the Graphire - since I'm moving into graphic design, the resolution on the Intuos is more appealing.

mcconaghy, are you using it on the USB or serial port? I'm not sold on USB 1.0, considering some of the issues I've had with my system (XP).
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

joshcarter

Post by joshcarter » Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:11 am

I'm a huge fan of graphics tables. I've been using Wacom 6x8's on my machine for years, and they're great for lots of stuff outside of Photoshop -- especially Live. I wouldn't think of using anything else.

My current system is a PowerBook G4/550 with a Wacom 6x8 Intuos 2 (USB) under OS X (10.1.5). The 6x8 is the perfect size IMHO -- big enough but not too big. It also packs very will with the TiBook, as they're almost the same size. (Wacom tablet is a touch wider, but same depth.) I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure what the deal was for tjwett -- I have the same machine and have *no* problems with the tablet even under heavy load. I run my 'book with the CPU pegged in Photoshop and Cinema 4D, and needless to say, I'm always using the Wacom with those apps. Are you sure you're using the latest drivers?

-Josh

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:19 am

Rx wrote:I just saw the Graphire - since I'm moving into graphic design, the resolution on the Intuos is more appealing.

mcconaghy, are you using it on the USB or serial port? I'm not sold on USB 1.0, considering some of the issues I've had with my system (XP).
USB. I knicked this tablet off my wife, who's a designer, and she swears by the Intuos tablets. I've had no problems with USB on the Mac so far.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:00 am

joshcarter wrote:I'm a huge fan of graphics tables. I've been using Wacom 6x8's on my machine for years, and they're great for lots of stuff outside of Photoshop -- especially Live. I wouldn't think of using anything else.

My current system is a PowerBook G4/550 with a Wacom 6x8 Intuos 2 (USB) under OS X (10.1.5). The 6x8 is the perfect size IMHO -- big enough but not too big. It also packs very will with the TiBook, as they're almost the same size. (Wacom tablet is a touch wider, but same depth.) I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure what the deal was for tjwett -- I have the same machine and have *no* problems with the tablet even under heavy load. I run my 'book with the CPU pegged in Photoshop and Cinema 4D, and needless to say, I'm always using the Wacom with those apps. Are you sure you're using the latest drivers?

-Josh
i'm using the latest driver for 10.1. Should I try the Beta Driver? It works great in all my graphic and video apps but Live doesn't seem to like it. I know it's the tablet because my trackpad and regular optical mouse work fine. oh well.