i need an adventure type vacation for me and the wife...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jekblad

i need an adventure type vacation for me and the wife...

Post by Jekblad » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:22 pm

we did a cruise and we were like meh.

We're open to pretty much anywhere in the world, but nothing crazy like everest. Climbing a mountain is totally in the picture, but something that's more like a really tall hill ya know... a starter mountain.

or river rafting.... idk.

any ideas out there? thanks

we're 22 and 24 in good health.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 pm

hike the inca trail to manchu pichu. go during new years, cuzco is a BLAST on NYE. definitely gotta be in shape though

white water raft the middle fork of the salmon river during the low water season. spent a week of living on the river with our company providing gormet dutch oven cooking, fine wine and champagne, and fresh salmon. go during low water season (early summer/late spring I believe, not sure though) to get the best rapids.

backpack yosemite. Cross country backpack if you know what you are doing (i.e. know basic survival and can read a map)

skydive hawaii. also good backpacking

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Where are you based? me an my wife went to New Zealand and hired a motorhome and drove round both islands... best thing i have ever done.. theres mountains, kayaking, glaciers, fjiords and bungee.. well theres everything down there...
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:42 pm

Send us a postcard after doing the Caminito del Rey pathway -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXrVG7aoizc :)

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:57 pm

these all look so awesome guys! thanks

I think for financial reasons we're going to look at keeping it in the US. We're in chicago, IL.

it's pretty much a 24/7 adventure living out here on the flat-of-the-land... we're in a suburb of a suburb.

So yeah, yosemite is in the picture for sure!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:00 am

I guess that counts out a swingers S&M resort in Germany then?

rozling

Post by rozling » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 am

You could do what these guys did - they seemed to be very, very happy with the way things were going when I met them in California.

http://www.hobobiker.com/

xherv

Post by xherv » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 am

BWCA is sort of close and, in the summer, excellent for anyone who can handle a little bit of paddling. In it's geologic history it was scraped and scooped out by glaciers, resulting in a maze of contoured bedrock, pristine water, and boreal pine forest. The area is demotorized, once you're inside you'll be on the water nearly fulltime (a few times you might have to portage a hundred yards or so). Moving from place to place by canoe, there's basically a campsite every half hour and because permits are required, the area is managed such that campsites are seldom occupied.

Depending on the route you take you can see almost no one, or no one at all other than going in and coming out of the area.

Financially, if you go through an outfitter, it's easily one of the more affordable options for a stretch of a week or two.

http://www.bwca.com/, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWCA
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:27 am

Jekblad wrote:I think for financial reasons we're going to look at keeping it in the US.
Right now the USD-NZD exchange rate is really good. Because of the general economic thing, tourism is struggling a bit. There are many sectors of the economy offering good deals to attract the foreign dollar. Apart from the air fares, take a look at things here in NZ and do some numbers... you might be surprised. $100 US = approx $165 NZD today.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:45 am

Utah is amazing, Moab is a must see.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 am

timothyallan wrote:I guess that counts out a swingers S&M resort in Germany then?
+1 for the Swinger way... :wink:

gurumonkey

Head to the Whites

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:20 am

Hey man. i'm from cleveland, and i've had a few adventures in these parts. i can honestly say that one of the best things you can do on the eastern half of the country is to head up to the white mountains in new hampshire. right around the corner from where the Old Man in the Mountain used to be are some FABULOUS places. I can give you a few specifics, but for sure you'd want to check out the Franconian Ridge trail. Throughout the whites are Appalacian Mountain Club "huts"....which are just plain amazing. you hike up a sweet mountain, and then spend the night in a large hut where they make gourmet food, have a staff, provide the beds, and all in locations that blow your mind. twice a year helicopters fly in food, and the rest of the time the staff packs in the fresh stuff. no access by any land vechicles. you can string a few huts together in a row and spend one night at each of them. it's spendy, but it would be a killer adventure, allow you to fall in love with mountrains, and have all your food and beds (perhaps you'd need a sleeping bag...idk how much they provide) waiting for you. let me know if you want more info.

smili

Post by smili » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Yellowstone is the favorite place I've been. Grand Tetons are nearby if you're looking for a small mountain, but it'll pale in comparison to the views you see at yellowstone. Yellowstone literally just makes my jaw drop. From Chicago you can mix in a train trip to get you out there close - rent a sleeper car for a different experience.

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 pm

"i need an adventure type vacation for me and the wife..."

Whats about hitchhiking through Irak?

Hervé

Re: i need an adventure type vacation for me and the wife...

Post by Hervé » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 pm

Jekblad wrote:we did a cruise and we were like meh.

We're open to pretty much anywhere in the world, but nothing crazy like everest. Climbing a mountain is totally in the picture, but something that's more like a really tall hill ya know... a starter mountain.

or river rafting.... idk.

any ideas out there? thanks

we're 22 and 24 in good health.
type "via ferrata" in google ;)