noisy macbook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squeakycheeker

noisy macbook

Post by squeakycheeker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 am

my white macbook seems to generate a whole load of background noise in live7 - it's kind of a symphony of very high pitched whines and squelching whenever it's performing a task - [eg loading a new instrument/fx whatever] - any ideas on how to fix this or is it just something i'm stuck with?

8O

Re: noisy macbook

Post by 8O » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:47 am

Hi, are you using the macbook's built-in soundcard or an external soundcard?

Not sure if it helps, but there are two types of mains cables the little one that fits directly on the transformer, and the cabled one. In Germany, at least, the little one has no earth pin, only the cable one does. Might be worth trying the cable mains connector in case that makes a difference... just a shot in the dark...

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 pm

When did you buy it? It's a new one, refurbished or used?
Can you post your machine specs?
Fan in Macbooks tend to be noisy at times, especially when
you do not have a dedicated Video Card. This usually happens
when you use Safari or Firefox to browse flash intensive sites (you tube..)
I have learned not to surf those sites while using live.
If it comes soon after boot when you're using Live then it might be
a problem. Is your firmware the latest and greatest?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

squeakycheeker

Post by squeakycheeker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 pm

using a new [5 months] white 160gb macbook - squelching/squealing is apparent whether i'm battery or mains,running firefox in the background or not...the noises aren't there when i export completed tracks to i-tunes/desktop wherever.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

i have an older Santa rosa macbook and no hiss or whines here running on the built in soundcard. The main reason i got a mac was to do away with the annoying hiss when writing music with headphones on. Maybe yours is a bit faulty, try and find someone with the same version. seems odd though, not typical.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi there,
I just bought a Macbook about 2 weeks ago, 120gb, 2.0ghz. I can say that the fans run a bit loud when doing graphics intense stuff but I have noticed no audio interference whatsoever (and I have some high grade headphones). I have used the main out and a soundcard with the same results.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Sometimes those noises can be eliminated by NOT using a ground connection to wall power. In other words, use a ground lift or the two-prong power adapter. It is possible the noise (which is electrical transients caused by the motors in the hard drive) is being transmitted right into the sound card, as they no doubt share a common ground bus internally. The sound would be less likely over an external sound card.

squeakycheeker

Post by squeakycheeker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:20 pm

a root around on some mac forums tells me that this a common problem, probably between mac soundcard and the headphone out socket....anyone got any thoughts/solutions on this?