[awi] locks up and/or crashes when it's time to load Sampler

gavinwhiteley

[awi] locks up and/or crashes when it's time to load Sampler

Post by gavinwhiteley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:34 am

I have a huge project with 120 instances of Sampler, 320 samples total, using 1.25GB RAM on a 4GB machine. No problem on b19 or any earlier beta.

b20: Opening the project from within Live, 9 times out of 10, either freezes up (until I kill the Live 8.0b20.exe process) or gives the "A serious program error has occured..." dialog.

And when this happens, it's when Live has loaded the audio clips in the project (about half the total RAM usage), and is about to start loading the Sampler ssmples.

My assumption is that this is linked to the Sampler update in b20.

Whether I'm correct or not, I must give up on b20. I will keep working on b19, because... I can keep working, at least with Sampler. I'm sending 12 crash packs to Ableton, all in under an hour.
Ableton Certified Trainer
Cirque du Soleil - Las Vegas, NV

Mac OS 10.5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM / Win XP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM
RME HDSPe MADI & MADIface

Alex

Re: [awi] locks up and/or crashes when it's time to load Sampler

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi Gavin,

the last email we got here from you is dated from the 08. March.
Maybe the bug reporting package was to big and the email server would not allow the sending?

Could you at least send me this big Live set? (no samples, only the .als file)?

Regards
/Alex

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

You're correct, I tried sending each of the crash packs after my post, but they were each 60GB or so and rejected by my SMTP server.

I will send the .als files as soon as I can.

Mac OS 10.5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM / Win XP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:59 am

I emailed some crash packs to beta@ableton.com.

Then, I noticed b22 was out. Downloaded it, installed it, tried opening my 25GB project (only 1.25GB RAM usage) with 120+ Sampler instances.

Opening this project in b22 or b21 , every single time, crashes and presents this dialog:
A serious program error has occurred.
Live will shut down after this message box is closed.
A crash log was dumped to into (....)\Preferences\Log.txt. Please include this file in your bug report.

If you cannot find this file it is probably invisible and you should search for invisible files or change your settings to view invisible files and folders.
Opening this project in b20 works just fine. No crashes.

I emailed my .als and a new crash pack to beta@ableton.com.

My project takes up 1.2GB RAM when it loads fully in b20. When b21 or b22 crashes, it happens when Live 8.0b20.exe is at 667MB or so of RAM usage - halfway there. Even after the crash dialog shows up, "Opening Samples...." appears in the bottom left of the screen with a blue progress bar, and the progress bar runs normally as Live 8.0b20.exe continues to full up to 1.2GB of RAM.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 am

Well, NOW the same thing is happening with b20. Same project. I have a version I saved in b20 and another saved in b22 - both crash on load when tried with b22, b21... and now b20.

b19 won't load these project because they were "saved with a newer version of Live".

I realize this behavior seems illogical, but I have no explanation for why this project was working fine on b20, is now crashing on b20 (no changes have been made or saved), and continues to crash on b21 / b22.

I will upload the 50MB crash pack at my earliest convenience.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Live Run_2009_03_19__22_39_48_Live 8.0b20_01.alp is uploaded to http://drop.io/majorscaleaudio

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 am

Solved. I found the cause of my b22 woes in this thread, and this one too:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=110526

Answer posted in the above thread.

It appears the crash happened when Live opened up the project's track routing and caused a MIDI feedback loop with MIDI Yoke.

My bad!