Footswitch and live looping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Parisongs

Footswitch and live looping

Post by Parisongs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 pm

At first glance I don't really see anything regarding this. When 8 was announced this was something that was supposed to be an option- a footswitch that accompanies live 8 for loop oriented live playing.

ark

Re: Footswitch and live looping

Post by ark » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:20 pm

There's a Looper instrument in the Audio Effects folder.

If you have a MIDI foot pedal (such as a sustain pedal), you can assign it to control Looper.

That's all you need.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:32 pm

anyone hook up an mpc, sp-303, and play with their guitarist/bassist friends yet? i want to hear what it would be like.....

what's the cheapest midi pedal i can get?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Parisongs

Post by Parisongs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 pm

ark wrote:There's a Looper instrument in the Audio Effects folder.

If you have a MIDI foot pedal (such as a sustain pedal), you can assign it to control Looper.

That's all you need.
Hmmm. Ok, thanks for the response. I thought I has seen some kind of semi-propriatary footswitch in an early Live 8 video that they had used to promote the live looping feature in the new release. This was on their site a while back but I can't find it now.

Fraeg

Post by Fraeg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:08 am

I thought just any old footswitch with a 1/4" jack could be used plugged into the back of an APC40?

but maybe I am smoking crack?
"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 am

Fraeg wrote:I thought just any old footswitch with a 1/4" jack could be used plugged into the back of an APC40?

That's what I though too, but I remember some threads about this not working, specifically when using the Looper plug.

Fraeg

Post by Fraeg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 am

outershpongolia wrote:
Fraeg wrote:I thought just any old footswitch with a 1/4" jack could be used plugged into the back of an APC40?

That's what I though too, but I remember some threads about this not working, specifically when using the Looper plug.

hhmm because in the intro to looper ableton vid he is just using a regular old Alesis ALUSP Universal Sustain Pedal plugged into footswitch one of the akai ac40 or whatever that unit is called... a $24 peddle
"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:31 am

Fraeg wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:

hhmm because in the intro to looper ableton vid he is just using a regular old Alesis ALUSP Universal Sustain Pedal plugged into footswitch one of the akai ac40 or whatever that unit is called... a $24 peddle
Yeah, it is supposed to work, I'm not doubting it. Just remember something about people having trouble..

I use a regular old sustain pedal plugged into my xiosynth or padKontrol, works for looping or any other assingment. Sometimes I even use it for triggering notes for a suedo kick drum.