Midi notes not sounding?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
telecatster

Midi notes not sounding?

Post by telecatster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Hey guys-

This is my first post. I've been using Ableton for about two months now and am starting to get a handle on it. One problem that has been bugging me, however, is that when I record midi parts every once in a while there will be a note that won't sound. Every other note will sound but throughout the entire clip one note won't. I can fix this by replaying the part and overdubbing the notes and it works just fine but I've been considering playing some live shows and that won't fly. Any suggestions?

Also, as a side note if anyone has any suggestions on ways to creatively use the Sampler instrument I'd love to hear them. I've been playing with it and have some cool sounds but I feel as though I don't completely understand it.

Thanks,
Rick

telecatster

Re: Midi notes not sounding?

Post by telecatster » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:45 pm

No ideas?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:44 am

telecatster wrote:
Also, as a side note if anyone has any suggestions on ways to creatively use the Sampler instrument I'd love to hear them. I've been playing with it and have some cool sounds but I feel as though I don't completely understand it.

Thanks,
Rick
well a great deal of the strange possibilities lie in the filters/osc tab and the MIDI tab.

play with routing the LFO's to different parameters, and likewise with the MIDI section

[nednerb]

Post by [nednerb] » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 pm

As one check on your silent midi notes, is the velocity of the silent midi note as high as the rest? Maybe you accidentally played too lightly and the sound is there?? Otherwise, I wouldn't know about that problem myself.

As for Sampler, I recommend the FM OSC modulation envelope on the Pitch/Osc tab. Live manipulation of the envelope can make very intriguing sounds.

This is an example:

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/1610445

The song title is retro-63245. It should play when you click the link, but I've never sent a link this way to this site...

The first 40 seconds or so show off me messing around with the FM envelope on a synth patch I made in Sampler with a short (around 35 millisecond) and audacity-edited waveform taken from a whole song I previously made.

With a different timbre, the modulation would be very different, of course.

Mess around with making your own patches with Sampler to figure out its parameters. Start with a very short waveform or longer one, whatev, in a default Sampler instance, and start turning and shaping different things one by one to figure out what things do to the sound.

Cheers,
Brenden

nerBeater.webs.com
ReverbNation.com/nerBeater

acidboy

Post by acidboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Its an odd problem indeed, maybe its a problem with the program reading the samples from your library folder. Do you keep the folder on an external drive??

telecatster

Post by telecatster » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Nope they're right on my hard drive :|

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 am

Are you using a sound card with an ASIO driver or something with good latency?

Might just be the gear isn't communicating fast enough?

That's the only thing I can think of, unless you have something else going on like bomes translater or midi mapping that might "steal" the note... but then you'd expect that to happen when you overdub as well.

telecatster

Post by telecatster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I think that might be it. I've just been running a USB cable to my computer from my Axiom 25.

telecatster

Post by telecatster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Sorry I could have given more info. I'm on a mac and I'm using a CoreAudio driver.

malutki

Post by malutki » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:44 pm

telecatster wrote:...every once in a while there will be a note that won't sound...
is this solved already? A note somewhere in the middle I would have no clue,no expert here,
but if it is the first of the clip, it is probably a weeny fraction to early,
and the note-on happens before the clip starts?
I'm going home

telecatster

Post by telecatster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the reply it hasn't been resolved yet. Unfortunately it is in the middle of the clip haha. It will sometimes be the first note but i've tried moving it around but that note and all notes with the same value still won't sound. It's a conundrum...

Irrlicht

Post by Irrlicht » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

just a random idea.. but if by any chance the midi notes you are playing are being played with a bow, rather than pressed, plucked, or else.. check the "friction" ..put it to 100%.

Also, just a random approach: You have tried playing these notes with a different instrument, right? Did it work? I imagine you already tried all the octaves and stuff.

Best wishes

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, why are you replying to a 9 year old thread? We were just discussing this, how someone will randomly show up for their first post and join the discussion in a really old thread. We’re you googling something and it led you here?

Genuinely curious, thanks!

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you don’t mind me asking, why are you replying to a 9 year old thread?
Mhmmm. The username is German for Will-o'-the-wisp

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Yeah this is strange how it's been happening quite often recently, at least a few times a week.

I'd kind of understand if the poster was asking a question and the old topic fit, that's actually good practice, but in many cases as you said, they are posting a "nugget of wisdom" which does seem very strange that they would register just to get their voice down on the subject that's been dead for years (or a decade).

Just like fake news stories on facebook, no one ever bothers to check dates and sources of things anymore.