Split keyboard for two soft synths?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Machinesworking

Split keyboard for two soft synths?

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:28 am

Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to assign a soft synth in Live to a certain part of a master keyboard? Not all soft synths allow you to set a range for their keyboards, and it just seems so natural to want to split a keyboard in half with the upper half being one soft synth, and the lower being another, so that in Live performance you need only one board.

I haven't found a way, and if it's not implemented, then I hope it is in the next version. Stacking soft synths by arming them is nice, but it would be cool to be able to split them. 8)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 am

you could set them to receive on different midi channels and just switch the transmit of your keyboard to change between them as a workaround

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:25 am

Yeah, that's not really the same as splitting keyboard to control one synth on the lower, and another on the upper. It seems that besides samplers, it's one thing I feel is missing from hardware land, split keyboards. It seems like such a basic concept....
Kompact is the only soft synth/rompler I have that does it super quickly.

Nice setup BTW, you have Pluggo? it's a great OSX only, (for now, maybe next year windows, Cycling 74 sez ) set of audio manglers.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:08 am

Machinesworking wrote: Nice setup BTW, you have Pluggo? it's a great OSX only, (for now, maybe next year windows, Cycling 74 sez ) set of audio manglers.
no pluggo - due to the whole CPU thing my main machine is my PC, I originally got the mac to run metasynth et al, but looks like my ex might be having it :(

I might have her old one though which is a 'wall street' 233mHz - old and slow but will handle MS for just filtering samples etc

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:18 pm

i seen some midi app for the Pc called "liveset"
It's like a reason-esk midi rack with split key, cc,.....

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:10 pm

Use the Scale effect!!!! :D :D

For instance, if you uncheck every button in the scale and set the range to 36 and lowest to c1, it'll filter out notes c1-c4!!! Yay.
Then, on the second synth use the same midi channel and set up the same patch on the scale effect there, but set lowest to c4. If the pitch is too high, drop it an octave or two with the transposer.

:D

Please let me know if this works for you (i don't have a keyboard near me, atm)

Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:47 pm

Sweet. i'll try it.
Another example of "think outside the box"

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:01 pm

Works perfectly!!!!!
SWEET!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks!!!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:50 pm

Cool! The scale effect is actually useful for a lot of things, like doing a minor scale on the upper part of the keys, and a major scale on the lower, etc...

:)
Cya
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Rex

Post by Rex » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:47 pm

This has my nomination for Tip of The Year! Fantastic!

djkewik

Post by djkewik » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:44 pm

well i have had been looking for just that support in diff programs for a long time but i couldnt get much programs to do this, there used to be one called angel keys few years ago but for win 95 i think. in steinberg vstack this option is there but not sure if vstack can run as a rewire slave.

solution, i ended up programming my own midi filter software in visual baisc (not a ideal language to code audio/midi apps but then that is what i have at my disposal) that could enable channel based, upto eight splits , layering of channels, some custom controllers plus velocity gated triggering of layers etc.
it has quite a few bugs (but as a non commercial personal tool i dont mind that) but as of now is doing the job for me.

let me know if any one wanna give it a shot, i maybe can email the files and the activex controls i used and a script to register them, as my visual basic install maker seems to be corrupt.

HatHead

Re: Split keyboard for two soft synths?

Post by HatHead » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 pm

Hello!
Machinesworking wrote:Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to assign a soft synth in Live to a certain part of a master keyboard? Not all soft synths allow you to set a range for their keyboards, and it just seems so natural to want to split a keyboard in half with the upper half being one soft synth, and the lower being another, so that in Live performance you need only one board.

I haven't found a way, and if it's not implemented, then I hope it is in the next version. Stacking soft synths by arming them is nice, but it would be cool to be able to split them. 8)
Some keyboard controllers allow you to split your keyboard and assign a different midi channels to the corresponding split zones. Since you can assign midi tracks to specific midi input channels in Live 4, you should then be able to assign specific tracks to different soft synths - this is what I do.

If your keyboard controller doesn't make midi channel splits for you try Chainer software, it will allow you to do keyboard splits for soft synths.

Bon chance!
Peace!

[:)

HatHead

Post by HatHead » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:33 pm

HatHead wrote: If your keyboard controller doesn't make midi channel splits for you try Chainer software, it will allow you to do keyboard splits for soft synths.
Just finishing reading about using the scale effect to do this - there you go! Very cool!!! 8)

oberheimhaven

Post by oberheimhaven » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:36 pm

HatHead wrote:Hello!
Machinesworking wrote:Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to assign a soft synth in Live to a certain part of a master keyboard? Not all soft synths allow you to set a range for their keyboards, and it just seems so natural to want to split a keyboard in half with the upper half being one soft synth, and the lower being another, so that in Live performance you need only one board.

Some keyboard controllers allow you to split your keyboard and assign a different midi channels to the corresponding split zones. Since you can assign midi tracks to specific midi input channels in Live 4, you should then be able to assign specific tracks to different soft synths - this is what I do.

If your keyboard controller doesn't make midi channel splits for you try Chainer software, it will allow you to do keyboard splits for soft synths.

Bon chance!
How do you split??? I know stupid ?'s however chainer will split however how will you do this on the keyboard like chanel 1 for arp 2600 chanel 2 for sonik synth however u will have to split the keyboard in order to perform correct or am i missing something
can someone drop me a line and tell me how to do
Mark
niceman626@aol.com

spookydirt

Post by spookydirt » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:39 pm

i find the pitch effect to be best -

set the root note of the keys you want to use, how far up it goes, and then set how high an octave you're actually playing with the rotary controller.

have one of these on each MIDI channel you're using and make sure the numbers don't overlap.

--andy
i5-7500 3.4GHz /16GB / Aphex207D / yellow lefty Danelectro / CZ-101 / E-Bow / Genius
Mink15 - Indie Lo-Fi Downtempo pop- Spookydirt - ambient space music -