I don't get it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

I don't get it

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:09 am

but half the people on here will be wetting their pants over it.

http://www.break.com/index/cool-laser-p ... -test.html

Johnisfaster

Re: I don't get it

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 am

hm...

it's getting to the point where you have to ask "just cause you can do it.. does that mean you should?"

I imagine myself getting the equipment for this and then sitting for hours in my studio being bored as shit.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:05 am

Johnisfaster wrote: it's getting to the point where you have to ask "just cause you can do it.. does that mean you should?"
Its a question of wanting to do it. If you want to do something technically challenging and you can actually pull it off. Then why not do it? Chances are if you share all the details of what you came up with, somebody will improve on it.

Its like hacking OSC into Live. They can do it, they want to do it and they are doing it.
Who benefits? Anybody who is already using 3rd party tools to improve interaction with their controller.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote: it's getting to the point where you have to ask "just cause you can do it.. does that mean you should?"
Its a question of wanting to do it. If you want to do something technically challenging and you can actually pull it off. Then why not do it? Chances are if you share all the details of what you came up with, somebody will improve on it.

Its like hacking OSC into Live. They can do it, they want to do it and they are doing it.
Who benefits? Anybody who is already using 3rd party tools to improve interaction with their controller.
I agree with both of you. I see a lot of stuff where at the moment there doesn't seem to be a practical purpose but it's still neat. I guess it follows that "Success is a journey, not a destination" cliche. And in that case I guess I am the most successful person I know because I rarely seem to get to a destination on something.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 pm

What is this and where can i buy one?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm

i could see some uses for that... possibly as a children's toy or a brain toy of some sort... draw some lines to get the laser from one place to another type of thing.

but get rid of the awful squelchy sound. or at the very least make it sound like the tron lightcycles.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 pm

McQ714 wrote:or at the very least make it sound like the tron lightcycles.
sod that mate, it's all about the cylon helmet light noise :)
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Who wouldn't want a little pet laser beam to play with? I know I would.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:21 pm

and if the laser beam finds it's way off the page, it should play the Wilhelm scream!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:37 pm

no clue, beats me how they did that.

anything to get humans to play like cats is pretty cool, as long as they 'stay off the phone.'
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Honestly, it's way better than most of the techno crap that you might hear out there.
can i punch this guy in the face somehow? maybe an E-Punch?

anyway its still cool, its ridiculous that you guys are judging it on the same platform as Live or an instrument when it was obviously just made to be fun. and it looks just that: FUN.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Getting back involved with this....I think it would be cool if you could assign whatever sound parameters to the various movements of the laser, especially if it was in a 3D environment. My main problem with these type inventions is as far as audio they like catering to the circuit bent noise crowd which has very little practical purpose.

It would be a lot of fun to work with parameters in a way that has more play and control than just knob/button/fader. In that respect cornering, boxing in, or releasing the laser might have some cool results. Also using a free laser leaves your playable surface as big as your imagination.

Huh, I guess I "get it" now.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:14 pm

beats me wrote:Getting back involved with this....I think it would be cool if you could assign whatever sound parameters to the various movements of the laser, especially if it was in a 3D environment. My main problem with these type inventions is as far as audio they like catering to the circuit bent noise crowd which has very little practical purpose.

It would be a lot of fun to work with parameters in a way that has more play and control than just knob/button/fader. In that respect cornering, boxing in, or releasing the laser might have some cool results. Also using a free laser leaves your playable surface as big as your imagination.

Huh, I guess I "get it" now.
i think they are catering to the stoner/techy crowd

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:44 pm

i think this is cool that someone came up with this idea

it reminds me of my line tracker robot i made in middle school

but i have a feeling that anything music that is created using this technology will only be "great" if you can see the controller while you are listening to it

its not going to create anything you couldnt do with an x-y controller

i use the multiball on my lemur to controller filters and delays and things like that but no one outside of the people on stage watching me know that its happening

the kid on the floor just thinks everything is already drawn out and automated

this has to be used as a live tool so that the audience can see what is going on and it seems like it isnt going to be that reliable in live situations, much like the water bowl controller http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/05/1 ... oller.html