OT: Is the decline of gender roles making us stupid and lazy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

OT: Is the decline of gender roles making us stupid and lazy

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51 pm

As we've managed to move the sexes closer to the center about the only result we have achieved is that both now have a job, but we now have a bunch of women that don't know how to cook, clean, or sew and a bunch of men who can't do basic construction, work on a car, or beat the shit out of an intruder. When these two sides unite you get a big sack of collective useless who are shelling out money for things that were once considered mandatory to your life skill set.

I'm willing to bet the older members of this forum will say "I/she still does that" but that answer will become less frequent as the age level decreases.

Discuss.

Ed J

Re: OT: Is the decline of gender roles making us stupid and lazy

Post by Ed J » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:56 pm

beats me wrote:a bunch of men who can't do basic construction, work on a car, or beat the shit out of an intruder.
Yeah, but they're pussies. :D
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Jae Himself

Post by Jae Himself » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm 21 and I couldn't agree with you more lol

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Actually I don't think the roles have declined so much as reversed in many ways. For whatever reason the recession seems to be hitting women in the workforce less than men. Out of the 5 couples my wife and I are friends with out here in Seattle, the women all have jobs while the men are stuck unemployed struggling to find work. Though I still do the construction and work on the cars :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Ed J wrote:
beats me wrote:a bunch of men who can't do basic construction, work on a car, or beat the shit out of an intruder.
Yeah, but they're pussies. :D
We are becoming a bunch of pussies if you take our safe distance weapons out of the equation.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 pm

the fact of the matter is that without a simple "this is what is expected of you" people have a very hard time figuring out what to do with themselves.

I still blame the federal reserve for "womens lib". Somebody in an office somewhere thought "you know what? if we can convince women that they WANT to work and get them all fired up about it we could make an ass load of money"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:Actually I don't think the roles have declined so much as reversed in many ways. For whatever reason the recession seems to be hitting women in the workforce less than men. Out of the 5 couples my wife and I are friends with out here in Seattle, the women all have jobs while the men are stuck unemployed struggling to find work. Though I still do the construction and work on the cars :)

I think there's a lot of reverse sexism going on in the workplace right now. As companies have to make cuts they feel they have to keep a certain amount of diversity and, let's face it, guys generally like women in their workplace regardless of what quality of work they do.

I have a female friend with 0 college experience under her belt but she has consistently kept or quickly found well paying jobs regardless of the state of the economy simply because she's a hot chick in the IT department. That's a fact and she owns up to it.

Hey, here's a sexist joke/truth. Women won't fix anything that is out of arms reach. If a ceiling light bulb goes out or fire alarm battery starts beeping they'll just live with it. Meanwhile if you tie a banana to the ceiling of a chimp cage the chimp will figure out how to stack boxes and wood to get to it.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:21 pm

yea!

and how bout them gays and lesbians confusing my tiny idea of what a person is supposed to be!

:? :?

decline of gender roles is the greatest thing that could ever happen to human rights.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:the fact of the matter is that without a simple "this is what is expected of you" people have a very hard time figuring out what to do with themselves.

I still blame the federal reserve for "womens lib". Somebody in an office somewhere thought "you know what? if we can convince women that they WANT to work and get them all fired up about it we could make an ass load of money"
Exactly. Double the tax base and make assloads of loot! Those cleaver fuckers.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 pm

hurlingdervish wrote: decline of gender roles is the greatest thing that could ever happen to human rights.
Maybe. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that women are better at some things and men are better at others, simply because of various bilogical and hormonal factors that are at play in our bodies and brains. it really would depend on how far that decline is taken, pushing women into high-pressure jobs simply to satisfy some equality principle is not a good thing, it has many adverse effects on social factors, mainly family and relationship matters. We're already in a gradually aging population thanks to medical advances, so why make that worse by pursuing some idiotic agenda for gender 'equality'. if we were all asexual, perhaps that would be possible, and a valid course for our society :)
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 pm

if you and your wife are stupid and lazy, you'll live a stupid and lazy life.

if you're not, you can learn to cook and fix just about anything.

don't marry a dumb, worthless chick, don't be a dumb, worthless guy.

if anything, the genders are learning to do more and more. all of us have to wear more hats to fulfill the roles around the home. the restrictions are lifted.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 pm

Ed J wrote:
hurlingdervish wrote: decline of gender roles is the greatest thing that could ever happen to human rights.
Maybe. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that women are better at some things and men are better at others,
yea but you talk about gender roles for men and women being better at things

but if a gay guy is better at some feminine jobs and hasn't fully come into his skin, he may be forced into a "man"-ly gender role because that's whats expected of him from society. even worse this drives them to be fully shut off and in the closet. this is a direct result of gender roles and the machismo expectations put on men.

same thing goes for lesbians who would fit in better to a man-ly role than a secretary or whatnot

gender roles are archaic and completely unnecessary, people should just do what they are good at why make distinctions of what sex gets to do what.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote:if you and your wife are stupid and lazy, you'll live a stupid and lazy life.

if anything, the genders are learning to do more and more. all of us have to wear more hats to fulfill the roles around the home. the restrictions are lifted.
I agree with you to extent. I don't think people are learning to do more. I think people are learning to pay other people to do stuff that 40 years ago they would have just done themselves and it wouldn't seem like a big ordeal or offensive that you would be expected to know certain things.

It's just another extension of capitalism. When you here about all the cut backs people have had to make as the result of losing a job, on the list is usually things they were paying people for that they could have just done themselves...maintaining the yard/pool, washing the car, making coffee, eating at home, etc.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 pm

beats me wrote:It's just another extension of capitalism. When you here about all the cut backs people have had to make as the result of losing a job, on the list is usually things they were paying people for that they could have just done themselves...maintaining the yard/pool, washing the car, making coffee, eating at home, etc.
Looks like you're going to have to check under the bed for the bogeyman yourself, Beats. Society can't afford to send the fuzz every time you get a gameboy stolen, MAN! :wink:

slirak

Post by slirak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:if you and your wife are stupid and lazy, you'll live a stupid and lazy life.

Word!