Ibanez electric guitar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Ibanez electric guitar?

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:19 am

I don't have Live 8 yet or an APC40, and I do plan to get those things in the future, but like some others on here I've determined my musical stagnation isn't a result of not having the latest and greatest DAW and it's proprietary controller. There's nothing in 8 that I think is going to greatly help my flow of creativity and I see the APC as more of a performance tool than a production tool, easier clip launching aside.

It's been many years since I owned or played a guitar but I've been thinking about it a lot over the past 6 months. I've owned Ibanez guitars in the past and loved them, and obviously I'm not looking to be guitar God on stage with the perfect tone so I'm not looking for the most expensive guitar, but also not the cheapest.

I preferred the models with the humbucker and the dual single coil pickups but not sure if that is all important. Is it?

Is there any Ibanez models you'd recommend or tell me to stay away from?

Lastly, even though I have a Guitar Center right down the street from me I almost always buy stuff online, no tax and free shipping makes it a no brainer. But should I be concerned about this in relationship to a guitar? Last thing I need is to go into GC and have some stock boy trying to upsale me or have me play my "chops" through a distractingly loud Marshall stack.

Feel free to throw any other guitar brands out there because I have responded to "What PC?" posts with "Get a Mac". Fair is fair.

leedsquietman

Re: Ibanez electric guitar?

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:33 am

Budget ?

I like Ibanez guitars (prefer them to Squier/cheap Fenders), but I prefer Yamaha's guitar range personally.

Try a Yamaha Pacifica 812 if you get a chance, beautiful guitar, custom pick ups (Seymour Duncans), awesome action.

Or a Pacifica 612 or 412 are great for their money too. Heck the basic 112 is awesome for it's money, I'ved gigged mine as a backup to my Pacifica 412.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:47 am

I'd probably go as high as $400 or a little over if it's really worth it.

I've never played Yamaha guitars but I'll have to check them out.

Might be worth going to GC just to get the feel of some guitars because they aren't one size fits all.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 am

I very much dislike my Squier Stratocaster...
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 am

I would suggest you try a used Ibanez in the price range you are looking for, I am very happy with mine, it's a flying V style.

So many of the new guitars, especially in the under $500 range, regardless of brand, seem like they are made for shredding... your hands. Go up to a new guitar hanging on the wall, grasp the neck lightly and slide your hand up as if you are reaching for a higher barre chord. If you feel the frets biting into your palm, that's a no. And more often than not, if I find a new guitar that passes that test, it is out of the price range I'd be willing to shell out for a second guitar :).

It is amazing how many new guitars fail this simple test, the edges of the frets practically feel like they are cut with tin snips.

my $0.02 is that the used ones often seem more comfortable, and there are deals to be had, if you find one that feels good make sure to try it out to see that there is not buzzing in the frets or humming in the pickups.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:29 am

mikemc wrote:I would suggest you try a used Ibanez in the price range you are looking for, I am very happy with mine, it's a flying V style.

So many of the new guitars, especially in the under $500 range, regardless of brand, seem like they are made for shredding... your hands. Go up to a new guitar hanging on the wall, grasp the neck lightly and slide your hand up as if you are reaching for a higher barre chord. If you feel the frets biting into your palm, that's a no. And more often than not, if I find a new guitar that passes that test, it is out of the price range I'd be willing to shell out for a second guitar :).

It is amazing how many new guitars fail this simple test, the edges of the frets practically feel like they are cut with tin snips.

my $0.02 is that the used ones often seem more comfortable, and there are deals to be had, if you find one that feels good make sure to try it out to see that there is not buzzing in the frets or humming in the pickups.
Yeah, I might have to check out some used guitars as well. There's couple decent used music gear stores locally as well as some major stores with used gear for sale. I agree the feel is very important. The last guitar I had was an Ibanez saber and it was light and thin as hell and a total joy to play. Pickups can always be changed.

I still laugh at the rock star signature guitars - Eddie Van Valen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc. Always expensive as hell and if I was going to drop that much I wouldn't want any rock stars name associated with it. It would be like buying a Deadmua5 Moog or a Tiesto CDJ. Just silly.

sherman

Post by sherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:36 am

I've got an Epiphone SG that I think punches well above its weight. Any Epiphone deserves a look IMO
--sherman

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 am

In your price range, definitely see if you can find a use one.

sherman

Post by sherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 am

beats me wrote:It would be like buying a Deadmua5 Moog or a Tiesto CDJ. Just silly.
Where would one begin looking for these items? :lol:
--sherman

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 am

+1 for the used one.

it's all about the electronics. you'd be best off to buy an affordable body, some nice pickups, and pay someone to shield the guitar really well.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 am

The Satriani Ibanez is nice but it's 1,000 bucks.

You could definately get a Pacifica 412 and maybe even a 612 if there's a sale on for 400 bucks.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... a+412/10/1
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:48 am

Ok, so i doo own an Ibanez guitar! The ibanez s520-ex to be exact.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html

I use this guitar in conjunction with my band, a somewhat metal band. We play in B. Id have to say, this is the BEST guitar ive owned to date. Ive been playing guitar for almost 6 years now and have owned many guitars. This is definetly a keeper for me and i would highly suggest it. The pickups are Ibanez's version of EMGs which offer a ton of tone and very very very little noise. I have an ESP with EMGs in it that dont even compare to this guitar.. It has amazing sustain, a great sounding body, very low action, super light, and a smooth zero resistance floating bridge..

I paid almost 800$ Canadian for this guitar new. If you want to get another ibanez, dont skimp. i tried a few and know a few owners of other ibanez guitars. The S series is the best you can get into IMO. however no matter what guitar you get dont skimp around the 800 range (even a little lower) is probably where you want to be if you want a really good guitar.

As far as buying them online, treat guitars like clothes. Why would you buy something online if you havent tried it on? Maybe it wont fit right, look right, etc etc.. you know?

when i picked out that guitar, i sat in the store for 3 hours and tried EVERY guitar i liked, and i hated something about all of them.. as soon as the clerk gave me this one i was sold off the first note.. i would suggest trying guitars out! Good luck :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:17 am

get whatever gives you wood when you look at it. ALL the guitars in that price range are going to be factory made and can vary wildly in their construction. spend whatever amount of money then take it to a luthier and they can tweak it to get the setup MUCH better, $50-$100 for that.

then get a stand and NEVER put the thing back in its case. ideally you should put it next to your favorite chair so that when you're chilling out you can look over and go 'oh look a guitar' and you can pick it up and play it.

a Pocket Pod is a start or look for a used Pod, with the newer generations of Pods coming out the older ones are being sold off. those are great because you can play with headphones loudly at all hours of the night.

most importantly, spend at least $400 on quality leather pants. you don't want to go cheap on those.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 am

The Ibanez S series looks like what I am looking for, aside from looking at used Guitars. I'll probably go to a store and try them out. The thing with buying online if I use American Musical then I can do the whole 3 payment plan thing and spend a little more than $400.

@Tone

I just threw my leather pants away a few months ago in my "who the fuck am I kidding" clothes purge. Those were some fun days though. I don't see Goth coming back and if it does I don't want to be part of it, nothing sadder than those 40+ Goth hipsters I used to see back in the day, still shopping at Hot Topic.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:37 am

cool! well, i would suggest trying them out and then buying them online. :D S Series are fun.