UC33e new user, please help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
808bob

UC33e new user, please help

Post by 808bob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 pm

hi, bought a second hand UC33e to use mostly with ableton.
done the factory reset.

tried using it with rebirth on pc. got midi going in, but no control on rebirth was moving. frustrating.
now trying it with ableton on mac.

why the hell do they give you an ableton skin, yet no ableton factory preset? downloaded an ableton live preset from evolution site, its a .sit file. ...with no instructions. what do i do with the .sit file? ive tried importing it with enigma, enigma is not recognising it.

ive put the ableton skin on. and only the faders are moving, the pans are not moving. ive tried presets 1 to 4. But none of the presets are for ableton so....why do they give us an ableton skin?
am i supposed to make my own assignments copying the skin labels?

got all the manuals out. this is gonna take awhile.

am i missing some obvious thing?

theres no mention of ableton in enigma either, just plenty of other vsts and apps.
(it lists: Native Instruments Rebirth.....go figure....)

how did you guys set yours up with ableton?

just trying to learn from the ground up here.

thanks for any guidance.
cheers.

cheers.

Alextronica

Re: UC33e new user, please help

Post by Alextronica » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey 808bob

I feel ya but there is the UC33 and the UC33e

UC33 doesn't offer enigma compatibility. I didnt know there was a difference till after I bought on too.

Personally I reprogrammed mine to do exact what I wanted to do with it. I never used any of the factory presets.

Its pretty easy to program I havent done it in a long time but I remember getting out the manual and starting with MIDI Channel 1, CC 1 on the first fader and going from there. I midi mapped everything in Ableton and saved that set blank. I'll open it and do a save as and rename it so I dont lose the blank set.

Anyway thats what I did. Maybe someone else here can fill us both in of the presets use. I thinking maybe the .slt file is too be opened in enigma? I dont know though just guessing.

hope this help ya
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

808bob

Post by 808bob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 pm

cheers.
i think mine is uc33e, the box says this.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=evolution.live
what the hell is a .sit file?

A StuffIt archive contains one or more files that have been compressed to reduce file size and then appended with the .sit extension. StuffIt and the .sit file format was originally developed in the summer months of 1987 by a high school student at Stuyvesant High School in New York City named Raymond Lau.

StuffIt archive files can be created and extracted using StuffIt and can be extracted by File Roller, The Unarchiver, and XAD.

GREAT!!! NOW I GOTTA BUY STUFFIT TO ACCESS THE .SIT FILE.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Their template is to be used with an Ableton Live file. I'm not remembering where to find it specifically, it may have been on an old evolution page, either way it was nothing special that you could not make yourself.

As for Enigma and the UC-33e AND Ableton Live. There is a Control Surface default and it is to be used with the factory first setting of the UC-33e (Should be available via the enigma)

the reason why there are no defaults in enigma for ableton live is because it does not have specific midi CC#'s for anything, they are up for grabs. Most other software has set midi CC's. I prefer the ableton live method (usually..)

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi,

Here's a little something I prepared earlier - Modified instant mapping for UC-33e - feel free to use...

:)

Edit: scrub that, my rapidshare download limit's been reached, I'll upload it somewhere else...

Edit2: new link http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=264d ... af670496da

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:30 pm

I ended up doing the exact same thing except I added 1-8 as Arm Record buttons for tracks 1 - 8 :D

bob123

Post by bob123 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:50 am

8O wrote:Hi,

Here's a little something I prepared earlier - Modified instant mapping for UC-33e - feel free to use...

Edit: scrub that, my rapidshare download limit's been reached, I'll upload it somewhere else...

thanks guys. (im the OP)

managed to extract the sit file. there were two ableton song files in there. just basic mapping. could have mapped myself. just wanted to see what they did.

thanks for the download link.
but...sorry...what is it exactly? (the text file)

ps. the preset 21 only works once the supplied ableton song file is opened from within abelton. i thought i could just save that to preset 1 on my uc33 internal memory... i think you have to make a template from within ableton, and use that for every new ableton project.

PS. that link to your old post. about mapping the sends. the preset i downloaded from evolution site, did that already. all the sends on each track are mapped on that template (21).
Last edited by bob123 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 am

Similar to this description: User Remote Scripts

bob123

Post by bob123 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:14 am

about that hand that appears on a device once you select it.
thats instant mapping, right?

but when i move my hardware controls, nothing moves.
ive tried preset 21 on a blank ableton song....and also on the downloaded ableton songs. nothing happens.
am i doing something wrong?

how do i test the instant mapping assignments?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 am

Instant Mapping works with the "Control Surface" presets found in your preferences under MIDI.

Once you have your UC-33e selected for Control Surface, make sure your controller is actually at preset 1.

It should then be able to use those features, it is actually different from those other live sets, but a bit more powerful :)

bob123

Post by bob123 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:52 am

yur2die4 wrote:Instant Mapping works with the "Control Surface" presets found in your preferences under MIDI.

Once you have your UC-33e selected for Control Surface, make sure your controller is actually at preset 1.

It should then be able to use those features, it is actually different from those other live sets, but a bit more powerful :)
thankyou.
so it only works with preset 1?
tested it with impulse and coupla other devices.
only like 3 knobs move.... there doesnt seem to be any order.
and when you go into midi map mode.... the knobs that move...they are not even showing as being mapped.....so we cant even see whats been mapped to what? without manually twiddling every single knob and fader on uc33????

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:06 am

Under "Help" on the top of your ableton live menu is "Help View" which pops up a display on the right. In there they give you a list of how the Control Surface is preset, and then further on what each knob does dependant on the device you are using for hands-on control.

The hands-on control stuff is more a convenience. In theory you'd normally be stuck mapping each knob to a single parameter on a single device. But in this case, you are allowed to choose Any device and automatically have a few tweekable parameters without having to assign ANything (very convenient!) also convenient is that any Rack device with knobs, your default control would be the 8 knobs you have assigned to parameters in the rack.

If you are not happy with that special ability you are also given the option to assign any individual knob to any individual control in ableton live.

If you are really satisfied with a specific layout you can set it as your Default layout with your controller so that anytime you open Live, your controls will already be assigned. (to set default, check in your Preferences under File/Folder. "Save Current Set as Default".

If you have any further questions i'd be happy to clear up the confusion :)

bob123

Post by bob123 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:17 pm

8O wrote:Hi,

ahhh i understand what youve done now. interesting.

is this text file for mac or pc? or is it cross platform?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Should be cross-platform.

One thing that I've also tried before is creating multiple Instant Mappings so that i can take advantage of more than one preset on the uc-33e. OR take advantage of the three rows of 8 knobs :):)

All I had to do is name them 1, 2, and 3. and select my uc33e for each one in the Surface Control section.

bob123

Post by bob123 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Should be cross-platform.

One thing that I've also tried before is creating multiple Instant Mappings so that i can take advantage of more than one preset on the uc-33e. OR take advantage of the three rows of 8 knobs :):)

All I had to do is name them 1, 2, and 3. and select my uc33e for each one in the Surface Control section.
cheers.

yeah i plan to do something like that, once i get my head around the UC33e.

"select my uc33e for each one in the Surface Control section."....... i dont understand.
so your saying when you open up a synth, all your uc33 knobs are instant mapped? did you initially have to assign each knob for EACH vst/synth/instrument/effect?