Ableton Live 8 with NI Audio2DJ

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Garf_

Ableton Live 8 with NI Audio2DJ

Post by Garf_ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Hey guys, I know this is probably something I've been unable to find but I've been searching from christmas day! (This forum included) to find the solution to my problem!!!

I hope someone can help as it seems NOWHERE has touched on the same problem I'm having with my Audio2Dj.. so here goes.

I have installed all the necessary drivers that are needed in order to get up and running and have set lives audio device to ASIO and Audio 2 Dj. Seems straight forward enough. Then I have Output config set to shannels 1 & 2| 1/2 | 3 & 4 | 3/4.

I have then set my master out to 1/2 (which is channel A on the Audio2Dj.) Then I have my cue out set to 3/4 (Channel B).

Now when I play a track, it right enough plays through channel a and out my master.
THen If I press the cue button, the track plays out both my master channel and my cue channel.

I can't get a track (when cued) to play ONLY out channel B. And I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't working!

jok

Re: Ableton Live 8 with NI Audio2DJ

Post by jok » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Garf_,

make sure the track you want to cue is not routed to the master in Live, so turn the track volume down, move the crossfader, etc.
If the track is still audible through the master then, check the internal routing of your DJ 2.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks Jok. Got my problem sorted.

Now i'm able to cue with no problems and everythings pretty much how i need it.

I STILL however am having one (probably could be considered Major considering I can't play a live set if i dont fix it!) other problem.

Basically, my system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
3GB Ram.

I have my APC40 connected to one USB port.
I have the Audio 2 DJ connected to another.
There are no other usb devices.

When playing a set, at regular intervals, the music is cutting out on both Audio2DJ channels (The Master and Cue) and then coming back after a 3 second or so gap at the same place it left off. If i press a button, or turn a knob as/when the audio has dropped, ableton remains unresponsive, leading me to believe that the problem is somehow software related?

I have tried EVERY latency option, and have closed nearly all running .exes in order to ensure that nothing in the background was interfering. The problem hasn't ceased or even let up remotely throughout everything I've tried, and I'm only posting as a last resort after searching for days! :(
I've also uninstalled my asio drivers and ni drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers to no avail.

I'm starting to get turned off of the idea of playing using ableton with a controller after the amount of trouble i've been having since christmas!

Does anyone have ANY idea of a remedy?

MrH

Post by MrH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm

At last I find someone with the same problem as me.

I'm running an APC40 with an Audio2DJ too. I too have drop outs in sound. However, it's not usually as long as 3 seconds. More like milliseconds.

2 questions for you...

a) What's your CPU meter level saying (mine's only about 7%)
b) Does your audio crackle when changing tempo?
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 pm

MrH wrote:At last I find someone with the same problem as me.

I'm running an APC40 with an Audio2DJ too. I too have drop outs in sound. However, it's not usually as long as 3 seconds. More like milliseconds.

2 questions for you...

a) What's your CPU meter level saying (mine's only about 7%)
b) Does your audio crackle when changing tempo?
Hey Mate :)

My CPU never be's strained!
And, nah, i'm not getting audio crackles :/, but I do get the odd crackle if I was being honest... It's sickening that I'm contemplating buying a macbook (i've been told by a mate with the audio 8 that he's no bothers.).. Why should I be out another £1500 just because of a silly problem (that clearly must be a small one).. I'm sickened just at the minute as I thought at this stage I shouldn't have any bothers. :(

Argh, Hope some big-wig can jump in and help us ;)

MrH

Post by MrH » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 am

Let's hope so.

My CPU is generally ok and hovering around 7% - 12% then for a millisecond (I sometimes notice the yellow out the corner of my eye) it shoots up and I get dropouts.

Out of interest - what version of Live and what OS are you running...

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

MrH wrote:Let's hope so.

My CPU is generally ok and hovering around 7% - 12% then for a millisecond (I sometimes notice the yellow out the corner of my eye) it shoots up and I get dropouts.

Out of interest - what version of Live and what OS are you running...
Live 8.0.1 and Windows Vista 32Bit.

I don't notice my CPU spike to be honest.. but don't really be looking out for it.. maybe i was exagerating slightly with 3sec dropouts.. it's definately MORE than milli-seconds, but probably around 1-2 seconds. At its worst, i noticed it drop out maybe 3 - 4 times in a 20second period.. but it happens, once every few minutes at LEAST. :idea:

MrH

Post by MrH » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 pm

But clearly not a Mac or 8.1.1 thing either.

If I get anywhere, I'll let you know. Hopefully we'll both find out at the same time.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

jok

Post by jok » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Garf,

please download and install the latest version, Live 8.1.1 first:

www.ableton.com/latest_versions

If the problems persist for you guys, please contact support@ableton.com with the files/info listed here:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

MrH

Post by MrH » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Jok,

I've contacted support about it. Haven't got a resolution yet.

Have also been trying the latest beta 8.1.2 and it's still the same.

Have also disconnected the Audio2DJ soundcard and it's the same. So probably not an Audio2DJ or win/mac problem.

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:57 pm

MrH wrote:Hi Jok,

I've contacted support about it. Haven't got a resolution yet.

Have also been trying the latest beta 8.1.2 and it's still the same.

Have also disconnected the Audio2DJ soundcard and it's the same. So probably not an Audio2DJ or win/mac problem.
Ohh, in that case, we've a completely differrent problem then lol...

Basically, mine is audio2dj exclusive... must be some sort of ASIO bug or USB glitch (only got 2 devices hooked up though.. Audio2Dj and the APC40)
Downloaded 8.1.1 and got the same problem within seconds! Grrr haha.

ark

Post by ark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Have you tried disconnecting the APC40?

Have you tried ctl-alt-del to bring up the performance monitor, then clicking the CPU column to sort by CPU use? That might show you what program is using the CPU.

One other possibility: I get audio dropouts on my laptop when I disconnect its network port unless I also disable the port. Apparently something is trying every once in a while to see if the network connection is there, and doing so interrupts audio.

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

ark wrote:Have you tried disconnecting the APC40?

Have you tried ctl-alt-del to bring up the performance monitor, then clicking the CPU column to sort by CPU use? That might show you what program is using the CPU.

One other possibility: I get audio dropouts on my laptop when I disconnect its network port unless I also disable the port. Apparently something is trying every once in a while to see if the network connection is there, and doing so interrupts audio.
Hey ark.. thanks for posting.. I've tried doing CTRL-ALT-DEL to see whats going on and theres nothing really using CPU apart from Live, which isn't using a lot to begin with .. weird. I also disabled both my Lan connection, and my Wireless one to test was it anything to do with that to no avail.

I haven't tried this without the APC40 connected (should've been one of the first things I done..) but i'll give that a look when I get home to test it but I'm assuming that I'll still get dropouts without the APC connected.. gonna go through drivers now and try troubleshoot for any noticeable problems :)

This is so annoying. I can't play gigs any more :(

Garf_

Post by Garf_ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Garf_ wrote:
ark wrote:Have you tried disconnecting the APC40?

Hey ark.. thanks for posting.. I've tried doing CTRL-ALT-DEL to see whats going on and theres nothing really using CPU apart from Live, which isn't using a lot to begin with .. weird. I also disabled both my Lan connection, and my Wireless one to test was it anything to do with that to no avail.

I haven't tried this without the APC40 connected (should've been one of the first things I done..) but i'll give that a look when I get home to test it but I'm assuming that I'll still get dropouts without the APC connected.. gonna go through drivers now and try troubleshoot for any noticeable problems :)

This is so annoying. I can't play gigs any more :(

After a couple of days away, i've just had the patience to sit down and try ableton out again with my setup, and lo and behold, with the APC40 DISCONNECTED, i didn't experience a single drop out in a ten minute period were i quickly mixed in and out tracks...

So I hooked my APC up and almost instantaneously, about 10 seconds into the first track, i experienced TWO drop-outs..

WHAT IS GOING ON.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:39 pm

What's going on? It could be DPC spikes, or it could be you're just eating up too much bandwidth. Do you have the Audio2 and APC on an external hub, or are you using separate ports for each?

ew