Akai LPK25 keeps stopping working

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
tommytinker

Akai LPK25 keeps stopping working

Post by tommytinker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi

Often my lpk25 doesnt work when i load live. then when i restart the computer it starts again???

gp23

Re: Akai LPK25 keeps stopping working

Post by gp23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I am currently experiencing the same problem. More often than not, the LPK25 won't transmit MIDI to Live (or any other program such as Reason, for instance) and requires a restart to make it work again. I've tried reinstalling the driver and switching USB ports. This seemed to fix it for a while, but the problem returns. It isn't a Live problem, but obviously something wrong with the device itself. The 'USB Audio Device' driver shows up in Live's prefs, so it is there, but it just won't send MIDI.

Has anyone had the same problem and worked out a fix?

AaronYeo

Post by AaronYeo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 pm

On occasion I had the same problem; and like gp23 a switch of USB ports (and a restart of Live to redetect MIDI) seems to work. If not, I also load up FL studio (because it loads up in less than 2 seconds) and use that to test the controller - sometimes it seems to manage to "wake up" my LPK.

gp23

Post by gp23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 pm

The strange thing is that I just tried cleaning up the registry, removing the old instances of 'USB Audio Device' and reinstalling the LPK25 into a fresh USB port, restarted and it worked OK. I then left Live open for about an hour while I went off to do something else. I came back and there was no MIDI once again! So it had stopped working whilst Live was open. Very odd.

I think it's busted to be honest. I'm quite pissed off because I've only had it for 18 months. My workspace isn't big enough for anything else. The NanoKey is worthless junk. So my only option is to buy another LPK25 and hope it lasts longer because Akai's quote for repair isn't far off the price of a new one. Not happy. :x

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm

i've got the same thing with my mpk and it's only with live. works everywhere else with no problems at all, just live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Is there a possibility that the power to the MPK is going out at all during this?

Usually for me, the main culprit for something suddenly not working, is a jiggly USB jack or cable. If your controller stops working for even a split second while Live is open, you have to restart Live. I think the workaround is having another program that handles the MIDI (bomes???). Bomes, being software is constant, and I think it can handle MIDI connect/disconnect a lot better. My remedy for the situation was buying a power adapter : /

Another similar possibility would be if your computer's sleep mode shuts off USB connections.

Finally, I have a controller that stops working when I use the pitch/mod functions too erratically : / I don't get that one at all...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 am

yur2die4 wrote:Is there a possibility that the power to the MPK is going out at all during this?

Usually for me, the main culprit for something suddenly not working, is a jiggly USB jack or cable. If your controller stops working for even a split second while Live is open, you have to restart Live. I think the workaround is having another program that handles the MIDI (bomes???). Bomes, being software is constant, and I think it can handle MIDI connect/disconnect a lot better. My remedy for the situation was buying a power adapter : /

Another similar possibility would be if your computer's sleep mode shuts off USB connections.

Finally, I have a controller that stops working when I use the pitch/mod functions too erratically : / I don't get that one at all...
i thought it was too but this only happens with live, no other software.

gp23

Post by gp23 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am

Funnily enough, talking about dodgy USB connections, I decided on a whim last night to replace the original Akai-provided USB cable with the old one from my Korg Nanopad which I no longer use. Since then, it seems to be behaving itself. yur2die4, I think you could be on the right lines about USB power being the culprit, at least in my case.

To be honest, I think these mini USB connectors are too flimsy. It's essential on something as thin as the Korg Nano range, but on the LPK there surely would have been enough room for a proper USB connection.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 am

gp23 wrote:Funnily enough, talking about dodgy USB connections, I decided on a whim last night to replace the original Akai-provided USB cable with the old one from my Korg Nanopad which I no longer use. Since then, it seems to be behaving itself. yur2die4, I think you could be on the right lines about USB power being the culprit, at least in my case.

To be honest, I think these mini USB connectors are too flimsy. It's essential on something as thin as the Korg Nano range, but on the LPK there surely would have been enough room for a proper USB connection.
that's the first thing i did, replace the cable. not long enough anyways.
but still it only happens with live.
i've yet to hear of a selective usb cable that choose to loose power depending on what softare is beeing used.
have you?

gp23

Post by gp23 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am

I was (obviously, I thought) commenting upon my own case with the LPK25. Your problem with the MPK seems unrelated (more like a Live problem if anything) and this thread is about the LPK anyway. No need for your attitude.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 pm

gp23 wrote:I was (obviously, I thought) commenting upon my own case with the LPK25. Your problem with the MPK seems unrelated (more like a Live problem if anything) and this thread is about the LPK anyway. No need for your attitude.

attitude?
seriously people need to take the internet less seriously. no attitude here mate, perhaps you need to read things with a less serious stance. if you were commenting on your own post rather then mine then i apologise for misunderstanding you, my bad.

the fact of the matter is that live seems to have some problems with certain devices (as we've seen here, and across the forum as a whole), and neither you or me have any idea why and/or what is causing it, and to be honest i doubt that ableton knows it either.they should just a general midi script that works for everything and skip the whole magic thing what with extra fancy boxes when you are using grid contorllers and whatnots' and no special communication if you happen to use controller A instead of B, and instead just make a solution that works. controller talks to live. live responds. no fuzz, no special cases, no nothing. midi in, reaction, and potential midi out.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Is this a PC only problem??

gp23

Post by gp23 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

Well, the cable wasn't the answer for me because the problem reappeared shortly afterwards.

However, although I hesitate to speak too soon, I think I may have solved the problem (at least in my case). I decided to take the thing apart and have a look inside to see if there were any obvious problems. I noticed some 'gunk' on the circuit board, which I cleaned off. Miraculously, since then (four days) it's been OK. It doesn't seem to make much sense, because this is the first time I have opened it up from new, so whatever was on there was there from the beginning. Still, I'm hoping that I can now stop shopping for a new keyboard.

mwe

Post by mwe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Just wanted to log to say that I have had the exact same problem with this device using the Reaper VST.